• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Retro Pug

Gti6 Inlet Manifold Plastic Chamber

Retro Pug

I'm partway through my GTI6 conversion and removed the inlet manifold to get a little more elbow room. There was a plastic chamber attached which I removed leaving the following hole....

What is this for? Do I need the plastic chamber, or should plug this up with something?

Thanks

John.

post-9510-1247003397_thumb.jpg

Spiky

yeah, you are missing the black plastic section

or weld it up

but easier to just get the std black section

gti-si

It's a resonator box. Just tunes the sound of the induction noise, makes it slightly more road friendly. You can remove and plug it up, should change the induction sound for the better, or you can just leave it standard obviously

IIRC petert did some testing on this, think it gave a better torque curve without it, don't quote me on this however, just do a little search

Edited by gti-si

rubyna

Plug it. Its for the resonator box, someone done back to back rolling roads (magik i think) and

the torque curve was better without the resonator.A milk bottle top the plastic 1s does the trick

nicely..

Alan_M

Interesting....

I'm finding this resonator box a pain in the arse when trying to fiddle with bits under the inlet manifold.

Do you just glue a milk bottle top in place then?

rubyna
Interesting....

I'm finding this resonator box a pain in the arse when trying to fiddle with bits under the inlet manifold.

Yep ask Dan Taylor (taylorspug) for whats best to use to stick a good silocone would do the job

but check 1st with Dan or Miles etc etc. and yes it makes life much easier to get to the starter

motor for-1, plus a few other fiddly bits..

Paul_13

Just plug it with an Oasis bottle lid works perfect ;)

DrSarty
Interesting....

Well I can't just say 'yes', the point is you bung the hole up properly. That's the idea.

But remember the ICV is also part of this set up so you'll need to reconnect that as well.

There is apparently a difference in performance, as Magic has found back to back, and there's a difference in noise too.

Don't expect to unleash untold horsepower just perhaps a better torque curve, as it's a Hemoltz resonator chamber, designed to work in conjunction with inlet and outlet air and gas flow so it's actually matched to the exhaust system and cam timing as well.

It's related to the whole 'coming on cam' thing as well, based on oscillations of air/gas in and out of the head, and things get sweet when everything's in harmony. This box tunes the harmonics to suit a certain power curve and return of fuel economy I guess for a typical GTI6 use. When you remove it then you'll be shifting the performance characteristics, but you must reinstall the ICV and properly block that hole.

And this has been covered many times on here. Did you try a search?

Alan_M
Well I can't just say 'yes', the point is you bung the hole up properly. That's the idea.

But remember the ICV is also part of this set up so you'll need to reconnect that as well.

There is apparently a difference in performance, as Magic has found back to back, and there's a difference in noise too.

Don't expect to unleash untold horsepower just perhaps a better torque curve, as it's a Hemoltz resonator chamber, designed to work in conjunction with inlet and outlet air and gas flow so it's actually matched to the exhaust system and cam timing as well.

It's related to the whole 'coming on cam' thing as well, based on oscillations of air/gas in and out of the head, and things get sweet when everything's in harmony. This box tunes the harmonics to suit a certain power curve and return of fuel economy I guess for a typical GTI6 use. When you remove it then you'll be shifting the performance characteristics, but you must reinstall the ICV and properly block that hole.

And this has been covered many times on here. Did you try a search?

I just want to get rid of the resonator box for easier access, no other reason at all.

Not connected to the ICV on mine anyway, I've got the GTi6 manifold on an Mi16 as my Mi TB was buggered.

rubyna

Like i said drop taylorspug a pm he,ll advise you as to the in and outs. All that Dr.S said is true so its your choice

in the end, weigh up the pros and cons and go from there but make sure the hole is sealed tightly.I can only speak

from my experience and i would say plug it but like i said your choice.....

Fox

I've plugged mine up, makes access to the alternator etc nice and easy, I just used a milk bottle lid and some instant gasket. Its a nice snug fit. Seems fine so far

jtek

Whilst I am not sure on the 'tuning' of the GTI-6 inlet, I have read something from a reliable source that calculates all of the volumes accurately of the resonator chamber and inlet, and using Helmholtz theory concludes that the tuning of the resonator to be just under 4000rpm. A similar setup was used on another similar powered 16v 4 cylinder engine of the time and in back to back tests it dropped torque at that point in the rev range considerably. Systems like this can sometimes be used to fill in the gaps in torque where pulse tuning is not effective from the exhaust for example. It may be a noise thing, but I will be leaving mine fitted considering it is a standard engine. Also I don't think the ICV is connected to it, they are just packaged very closely together, with the ICV only releasing into the plenum just after the butterfly.

gti-si

Yes the ICV and Resonator box are in no way physically connected, you just need to remove it to be able to remove the box.

DrSarty
Yes the ICV and Resonator box are in no way physically connected, you just need to remove it to be able to remove the box.

I was mistaken then. I only removed mine once some time ago to clean it (the ICV), only to find the resonator chamber was full of water too!

My mind was telling me (wrongly), that the ICV was a right-angled tube with an electrically operated stepper motor valve, directing air around the throttle body and into the box. I had memories of the ICV with a rubber seal fitting into the resonator box. I was mistaken.

Here's an image which shows the resonator box and how the ICV is NOT linked to it, although it is in the way.

mi20533.jpg

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this