• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PVFCpug

Gearbox/crank Position Sensor Question

PVFCpug

Well Pugfest is out of the way so the next job is change of gearbox (due to 2nd Syncrho completely gone) and fitting of an Omex 100 I have come across.

I have an alloy MI running on 45's with a BE1 1.6 box. I have the timing ring on the flywheel and the ECU plus loom. All set up with a map from a MI with 45's so should be at least able to start it up.

If poss I would like someone really in the know to confirm if what I have collected is up to the job. Also the gearbox I have to put in (1.6 BE1) I dont think has the hole for the sensor, can this easily be adapted to perhpas fit where the grille type thing is on top?

Are these bits OK, I have read you can adapt the TPS to fit on 45's.

P7061761.jpg

P7061762.jpg

P7061764.jpg

P7061765.jpg

Gearbox to go in.

P7061767.jpg

Is this the CPS hole?

P7061769-1.jpg

All help appreciated.

Edited by PVFCpug

Tom Fenton

Personally I'd find another gearbox, it is very rare to find the casings without the sensor hole in, as the vasy majority have it. The crank sensor is the most important part of the system, as without it the car will not run. It needs to be securely mounted and fixed, which is easy with the right gearbox.

Also double check that your TPS definitely does have a sweeping resistance between terminals when you move it, and is not just a switch.

Peetypug

ade

i have a gearbox with sensor hole (if you want to compare them), i also have a sensor somewhere that looks similar but i'm sure is brown from the same box

your more than welcome to come and check them both tonight (i'll be in london for 6 days as of tomorrow)

PVFCpug
Personally I'd find another gearbox, it is very rare to find the casings without the sensor hole in, as the vasy majority have it. The crank sensor is the most important part of the system, as without it the car will not run. It needs to be securely mounted and fixed, which is easy with the right gearbox.

Also double check that your TPS definitely does have a sweeping resistance between terminals when you move it, and is not just a switch.

Thanks Tom, I must be really unlucky then as the Box I have fitted is just the same. Anyone have a good clear pic of a box with a CPS fitted so I know what to look out for. Also how easy is it to transfer the inners from one case to another? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a reconditioned box, any idea price wise?

Peetypug

if i get a spare 10 mins i'll nip out and take some

Tom Fenton

Not a great pic, but you can just make it out

205turbocont005.jpg

PVFCpug
Not a great pic, but you can just make it out

205turbocont005.jpg

is that a BE3?

welshpug

I think it might be.

most BE1's from about 87 have the same hole at the top, as well as the tapped hole for the BE1 clutch mechanism which isn't found on the BE3 gearboxes.

it doesn't take long to swap the internals over if you have a preferred setup, there is a guide floating around that covers changing the crown wheel and pinion over, as well as a pretty comprehensive write-up in the Haynes workshop manuals.

Edited by welshpug

PVFCpug
if i get a spare 10 mins i'll nip out and take some

Cheers mate, is yours the 1.6 BE1?

Sounds as if I am really lucky and have two gearboxes box without the said hole :mellow:

PVFCpug

OK just had a good look at the gearbox swap guide and it's apparent from the pics in that where it is and what I need. CPS is actually within the small grille area that on mine is missing.

be3.jpg

Anyone got a gearbox housing or fancy a swap for a very early BE1?

Edited by PVFCpug

Peetypug
OK just had a good look at the gearbox swap guide and it's apparent from the pics in that where it is and what I need. CPS is actually within the small grille area that on mine is missing.

be3.jpg

Anyone got a gearbox housing or fancy a swap for a very early BE1?

i've got a spare matey :mellow:

PVFCpug
i've got a spare matey :lol:

BE1 box or housing? :mellow:

Peetypug

housing

PVFCpug

sweet fancy re-building a gearbox?

Peetypug
sweet fancy re-building a gearbox?

i couldn't rebuild a lego house!

i do have a rebuild guide somewhere though

marksorrento205

Ade I have a later Be3 1.6 box if you have no joy. Miles is the man to speak to about messing with gearboxes. He has just rebuilt my vts box.

boombang

I've got a BE1 1.9 box with the CPS hole that you can have for nothing?

Either swap over all internals or change over CWP. http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/

Personally I would take it as a good chance to learn a new skill & give the box a proper checkover.

Sign in to follow this