• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davepug205

Gti-6 Coolant Temp

davepug205

Hi

Ive recently converted to a gti-6 engine which is currently running very hot. Its two dashes off the red on the 205 water temp guage, which I presume is bloody hot.

As soon as the thermostat opens, boiling water rushes out and the fan kicks in for a long time, now my understanding is that this isnt right?

Heres a quick sketch, Do you think its plumbed up ok?

Untitled.jpg

How have you lot done yours?

I havnt ran it through the cooler as im getting an air one eventually, and I havnt got the oil temp guage sorted yet.

Its currently got no thermostat in as it runs slightly cooler without.

Cheers

Dave

rapidcossie

mines runs 86 at normal running reading off my ecu.

this is quite high up normal gauge in 205.

I woudlnt worry mate

Mines never boiles water in headertank and lasts 15 laps of knockhill without overheating.

fan is run thru ecu to come on at 100 and go off at 95

Edited by rapidcossie

All Praise The GTI

gti-6's do run quite hot afaik. my 306gti-6 is usually at 80/90c. my 205gti6 does the same as yours, boiling water purgeing from header tank. it used to do this before and always worried me so put fan on switch and used it quite often. now ive reshelled it i want to sort this as it seems worse now. my engine sat unused for awhile so wasnt sure if thermostat would be fubared as ive never changed it

Miles

The engine's should all run at the same temp as the old std 8v, every single one I;vew fiited are at least.

You need to run the 205 sensor's thou as the Gti6 one's are different

Flix

Mines plumbed in the same as yours, doesn't run any hotter than the old 8v.

I would think your thermostat is sticking or your rad maybe blocked.

jtek

Mine runs just under half way on the gauge in normal driving (thought I haven't tried it in anger yet) and will then creep up and come on fan at the thick white line just above half way. This is based on it only being driven during the two hottest days of the year so far however! It does play some funny tricks with the fan after its switched off if it's hot, every now and then they will come on and go off for a few seconds.

davepug205

cheers for the replys guys

Miles - Im using the 205 sensor loom so it should be ok I think (but I do need an oil temp/pressure T-piece off you)

It gets very hot as in I cant touch the rocker cover after a few minutes of idle :P

The rad wasnt blocked with the 8v in and all the new hoses seemed ok, so the thermostat is now removed.

Cheers

Dave