• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpaul

Is My Rear Beam Ok?

pugpaul

My H reg 205 Diesel she has a sqeak coming from the rear when going on bumpy grounds. The rear drivers side wheel that seems to be making this noise is also not as straight as the other back wheel, it kind of has a camber to it........... any ideas on how to find out if this is my beam or where else this noise could be coming from.......it just all of a sudden started.

jimistdt

There is only one way to know for sure, and I think you know what it is. You're going to have to strip the fekker. In fact, I would be sourcing parts for a beam (Tube, Trailing Arms, bearings..etc) and building one to replace it.

The camber suggest the bearings have collapsed inside and the trailing arm could be rubbing on the inside of the tube, if it's got bad enough to be notcieable then it's probably past it.

RossD

This will be your beam making the noises. The negative camber is the giveaway - The squeaking is due to metal on metal contact as the bearings have worn away and there is no lubrication inside the beam.

Best bet is a replacement from the scrappy, but stripped and checked before you fit it to the car. There are plenty of guides on this site and also one thats applicable on the 306 GTi6 forum (Written by Welshpug on here I believe)

Edited by RossD

pugpaul

Thanks for fast replies.

Is my Pug safe to drive around? Also is it a hard job to replace a beam, just had a look on Ebay and there are some on there although one wanting £300 due to being re-built.......thought he was joking, I was thinking more on the lines of £60-80 for a rebuilt beam!

Will have a look around on here and Google on how to refurb a rear beam..... I'm not to bad with mechanics although not the best so this will give me a trial!!

jimistdt

There is a comprehensive guide on the Main Site, well two actually, one for the rebuild of the beam and another for swapping the beam.

The reason they are so dear is mainly the cost of parts, all new bearings is IRO £90, the trailing arms £45+ each, then sourcing a tube etc.

£250 - £300 is what you can expect to pay for a fully rebuilt beam.