• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wracing

Rear Wheel Drive Gearbox

wracing

clicky see engine pic

im sure every one should recognize this engine. for those that cant its a xud9 but look its not in a car and it the wrong way round.

after a good amount of wiki abuse i found that the ldv pilot used the xud series engine with no mods.

a trip down to my local scrappy i now have 2 gearboxes from the pilot.

guess what.....its fitts like a glove on the s16 block starter and vr wheel clutch all in beautifully im going to rip the second box apart and see how strong it is, but initial research looks good and it looks like a good bit of kit.

i think a useful bit of info allowing us rear wheel drive boys to keep it psa through and through!!

james

Baz

I thought it was common knowledge!

But yes, could prove handy!

wracing

really well thats me looking like a penis :)

there has been alot of rwd talk and haven seen it brought up.

oops

Baz

haha! Doesn't make you look like a penis mate!

It's still going to be quite involved to convert to RWD, for one it'd be pretty difficult to slot an XU in North-South IMO!

wracing

oh yeah defiantly the whole 30 degrees tilt issue doesn't help and the tunnel will need to be edited even though its quite a slimline box.

just a thought but mounting the engine north south should remove all oil surge issues?!

sandy's and colins irs with a 405 diff would be a nice bit of kit!! hint hint someone

Edited by wracing

Baz

The oil surge would be even worse! Everytime you accelerate... :)

Miles

These have been fitted in a few Kit car's, Can;t for the life of me remember which ones thou

wracing

would it squat that bad with rear wheel drive.

would hate to see what happens when you brake.....seized engine.

i was thinking mi16 in a locost/caterham chassis i think would make a good combo. minus the tilt and get away from the ford crap!

james

Baz

It has been done!

I can't remember where or what exactly it is, but i have a pic somewhere that KrisKarrera showed me a few years back of a kitcar with an Mi fitted.

Also, this has a dry-sumped S16;

DSC00004.jpg

wracing

im liking the size of the of those compmotives and exhaust that thing must be pushing power out. does anyone have pics of the setup would be nice to see

james

Baz

They're Minilites and the exhaust isn't particularly large! I believe it's around 230bhp.

wracing

my mistake i thought they where like some compmotive ones.

i would be happy with 230 na rear wheel drive lots of fun!

Edited by wracing

Baz

I'd love one!

You're right Compo do make a copy, the ML!

Sandy

I did look into this abit for my 309, but the ratios aren't great and the shift probably isn't either! The FSO pick used a similar arrangement. Something like the Nissan SR20 engine and box would probably make more sense.

base-1

I once bought a dry sump setup off a guy who had an Mi mounted upright in a formula-type hillclimb car. Surplus to requirements as he knackered the engine... :wacko:

welshpug

is it the same box as used in the FSO Polonez?

I wonder if those FSO's used the same gearbox internals on the 1500 fiat derived petrol engine?

just googlesd, without much luck on the gearbox side, but they did use the K series too!

PVFCpug
I once bought a dry sump setup off a guy who had an Mi mounted upright in a formula-type hillclimb car. Surplus to requirements as he knackered the engine... :wacko:

I bought my omex kit of a guy in Stafford way who is running a MI upright RWD with his own design of dry sump. He was running in the region of 270 brake. He runs this in a single seat Reynard 923 in Hill Climbing. Great guy to talk to who realy knows his onions. Could well be the same guy, Richard Keen I think his name is.

boombang

Guy from Guernsey, engine was in a Mallock?

I was trying to get the whole setup off him, can't recall what happened in the end. If the engine popped, that could've been something to do with it.

Edited by boombang

BackStreetRacecars

do the citroen relay and peugeot boxer vans not have an xu mounted straight up??

welshpug

they certainly do look far more upright than in a car.

base-1
I bought my omex kit of a guy in Stafford way who is running a MI upright RWD with his own design of dry sump. He was running in the region of 270 brake. He runs this in a single seat Reynard 923 in Hill Climbing. Great guy to talk to who realy knows his onions. Could well be the same guy, Richard Keen I think his name is.

Guy from Guernsey, engine was in a Mallock?

I was trying to get the whole setup off him, can't recall what happened in the end. If the engine popped, that could've been something to do with it.

Sorry chaps I haven't a clue, it was 4 or 5 years ago now! He did have a couple of other cars that I probably still have photos of somewhere, both bike engined, one turbo'd. Think his name was Richard.

Engine was destroyed, spun a shell and rendered pretty much everything in the bottom end useless, except maybe pistons. Thinking back I wish I bought the cam setup off him instead as I would have used that, never used the damn dry sump! :)

Hilgie
do the citroen relay and peugeot boxer vans not have an xu mounted straight up??

That would be the DW8 engine, which sits at a 15 degree angle, but looks almost the same as an XUD.

The FSO Polonez gearbox could well be the same as the LDV one as it sits under a weird angle in the FSO.

edit: added pics of Mi16 sitting upright in kitcar... I think the name of the kitcar was Pell Genesis.

post-125-1246355023_thumb.jpg

post-125-1246355043_thumb.jpg

post-125-1246355071_thumb.jpg

pellgenesis.jpg

base-1

Nice one Hilgie, that's not the guy I got the stuff from though. He had 3 cars I think, and I went to his house which definitely wasn't on Guernsey!

I found the pics I took on my crap phone at the time, less that I thought but never mind:

base-748.jpg

base-749.jpg

base-750.jpg

base-751.jpg

base-752.jpg

base-753.jpg

base-754.jpg

base-755.jpg

stew205
@base1: this is the guys website: http://www.delamare.gg/

I bought this Dry Sump set-up along with quite a few other bits about 3 years ago. I sold it to an engine build that had a job lined up for it, the job fell through and I think it is still sitting on their shelf!

Stew