• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Holes In Roof

djinuk

One thing that has worried me is towards the back of the roof i have 3 very small holes (not sure what caused this) its solid around the holes, question is how do i attack it, i dont think it can be welded due to roof warping, i cant get underneath is as there is a stenghting bar right in the way so thats not possible.

Advice & suggestions

29012008785.jpg

29012008786.jpg

Edited by djinuk

Paul_13

Looks like someone's tried screwing the sunroof trims down from the inside?!

Have you taken your sunny out?

jimistdt

It is difficult to work out where it is, its the centre of the roof near the boot isn't it? Looks like there's been some soet of spoiler there.

I'd be tempted to rub it back, protect it and bodyfill it and rattle can it. If you take your time it could look alright.

omega

think someones had a aerial on there 2holes for the mounting and 1 for the lead

djinuk

yea its right towards the back of the roof in the center, the holes were originally tiny bubbles of rust, once sanded back though thats what was revealed. Cant really filler them without getting somthing beneath it you see, bit of a pain in the back side really :rolleyes:

djinuk

had a bit of a thought about attacking the above with the use of expanding foam, spraying a small quantity of expanding foam into the cavity, cutting it off when it protrudes out of the open hole, and then filling over.

Does it sound reasonable as its going to be a very small amount of filler or is there a product on the market that would better suit this.

Tom Fenton

You could weld it, you would just have to do it in very small bursts, allowing the heat to dissipate before continuing. Most fibreglass or filler options will most likely crack and fall out in a short time unfortunately.

djinuk

damn, hmm the largest of the small holes is as big as the end of a pencil, would you plug weld it?

Tom Fenton

No, as the metal around the corroded area will be so thin it will burn away as soon as you show it the welder. I'd cut out a rectangular section and then make a piece to fit in. If I was feeling really clever I might edge set the long two edges so they underlap the top, and tack a bit of rod to the top so I could hold it in place from above and tack it.

MerlinGTI

this stuff might come in handy :wacko:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?pro...roductName=Cold Front (414ml)&catID=33&frostCat=Welding&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

As tom said I wouldnt try to bodge it with expanding foam/gripfill etc.. then fill over, if will defo crack on such a 'springy' panel (like most of our tin foil panels are!)

pugdamo

There is a body shop near me that does lead filling (obviously not with lead anymore) but it may be worth asking in a few bodyshops to see what they can suggest.

Its a pretty common spot mainly in the very early ones though (if its just where the boot hinge goes into the roof skin),iv seen a few go there.

dk73
There is a body shop near me that does lead filling (obviously not with lead anymore) but it may be worth asking in a few bodyshops to see what they can suggest.

Its a pretty common spot mainly in the very early ones though (if its just where the boot hinge goes into the roof skin),iv seen a few go there.

Great idea,

I did a lead loading course few years back.

Thats mainly your best option, but you might struggle around the mids area,

Even if you do get it done it will prob cost around a tonne to get done as the sticks dont come cheap.

Tom Fenton

Lead loading replaces shape lost due to dents/repair. It cannot fill holes like that.

gti-si

Tom hit the nail on the head with his first suggestion IMO. There aren't really any other options unless you want to be re visiting it in no time at all

djinuk
No, as the metal around the corroded area will be so thin it will burn away as soon as you show it the welder. I'd cut out a rectangular section and then make a piece to fit in. If I was feeling really clever I might edge set the long two edges so they underlap the top, and tack a bit of rod to the top so I could hold it in place from above and tack it.

only problem being with this is surely it will warp quite a bit from the heat of welding ?

Tom Fenton

Not if you do as I suggested above, and weld it in small bursts, allowing it to cool down each time.

djinuk

ah sweet ok then man, well ill have a word with my welder and see if hes up to the task,, really appreciate the help .. :)

Perky

Yeah i'd cut a small patch out and try and fit it as said above, you should get away without warping the roof if you tack one side let it cool abit then tack the an inch or so along. Keep doing til you get back round to your first weld, then go round again tacking inbetween the welds. keep doing this til youve completely welded it up :)