• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silky

[car_overhaul] Cherry Red Gti Project

Silky

Hi All,

First 205 GTI I bought was back in 2003, it was a nice clean Sorrento 1.9. I had this for about 6 months before selling it on, a decision I have always regretted. Then a few years back I bought a Graphite 1.6 From Phil H, I ran this a while before deciding on going for a track car, the graphite was too clean to molest so sold it on too.

Recently I've wanted to get back into 205's, a few friends (Boombang, Floods + Grez4) all having them at the present time.

An opportunity came up to buy this Cherry GTI, it had an Mi16 engine it but this was going elsewhere, I was to have everything but the Mi engine, plus a standard 1.9 engine.

Myself and Ian (Floods) went to collect it about 3 weeks ago, here's some pics from collection day.

IMGP0896.jpg

IMGP0898.jpg

IMGP0901.jpg

IMGP0908.jpg

IMGP0909.jpg

IMGP0906.jpg

It was taken back to his so he could take the Mi engine out, he attacked the wiring taking the loom he needed and swapped his original one into this.

Silky

The car has recently sat at my dad's for a couple of weeks untill this weekend when I could finally get it into my garage.

It currently has an engine, but that is on the garage floor. I picked up a 1.9 gearbox from sImon (Simes) earlier in the week too.

Now I don't have much time over the next 2 months as I am getting married at the beginning of August, so will take my time with it. The car has had a recent beam rebuild and does sit a bit low, however it's very good with no squeaks, creaks or rattles. The bodywork is in good shape too though the bootlid is very flat and might not be original to the car. The boot floor is straight and the shut lines are good too. Only bit of rust I can find is in the pic above, top edge of the off-side rear window.

I am going to take all the interior out, check the floor and other bits and pieces, re-fit with a grey carpet and get it all looking new again. Then the engine will go in once the bay has been cleaned, and any small rust areas repaired. The car itself is pretty straight, I have 3 original keys and also the original book plus some stamped service history.

I'll keep the thread updated with pics for anyone interested in it. Here are some more pics from when it was sitting at my dads

BreakingXSI006.jpg

BreakingXSI007.jpg

BreakingXSI008.jpg

BreakingXSI009.jpg

BreakingXSI013.jpg

BreakingXSI012.jpg

BreakingXSI011.jpg

BreakingXSI010.jpg

Rich_p

The amount of wiring behind the dash scares me and mine needs looking at soon!

Silky

Yep it does seem alot, though will look neater once the dash goes back on, it hides nearly all of it, though will try and make it a little tidier behind there

Silky

Well it's nearly two months since I put it into my garage. My wedding and honeymoon has been and gone so I know have time to crack on with it.

Most of the interior was our of it, as you can well see, so I took the seats out plus pulled out the red carpet as I managed to pick up a grey one to go in there instead. The soundproof on the passenger side was very wet so this is out and drying, the drivers side was bone dry leading me to think that the heater matrix is duff, doesn't really matter as I was going to change it anyway.

On taking the carpet out I noticed that the bottom of the B pillars looked as though they might have had a small repair at some stage, not entirely sure so need someone local to check that for me. The rest of the floor is very solid, around the handbrake and gearstick columns is very strong. I will give it a good wipe down all over to make sure it's all ok but I'm pretty happy with it.

Next stage is to get the engine bay cleaned up as it's pretty mucky. Then I'll change the bushes and driveshaft seals on the gearbox before fitting it to the engine and lowering it in.

I've had a look at the rear end, it does sit quite low, though the previous owner rebuilt the beam not too long ago, however the rear shocks could do with changing. I'll take some more pics as I go along, hopefully it'll be up and running pretty soon