• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Retro Pug

[engine_work] 205 Gti6 Conversion

Retro Pug

Agreed will try to sort some more pics, my 3yr old daughter dropped my camera so I'm awaiting delivery of the new one! I've got an HTC Touch Diamond phone and the camera is not up to much

Have most things sorted now but the fitting for the mocal cooler are rubbish! I'm going to get some new hoses made up I think, cant seem to stop them leaking, any other ideas?

Most of the collent hoses are in place now, I've used a T piece for now untill my GTI6 hose from the group buy arrives.

Also I'm going to use a K&N filter on the body for the time being untill I get some propper bodies, what do people usually do with the hose coming from what I believe to be the stepper moto?

Cant be long now......

Retro Pug

After looking at some other project threads it looks like some guys are using a breather filter. Does anyone know off hand what size to get?

Cheers

John.

Edited by Retro Pug

gti-si

IIRC its either 18mm or 19mm. I think I used an 18mm

Retro Pug

Ok time for a long overdue update to this thread. Too much work and preperations for our next baby...

As you can see from the pics below all is in and most things are working correctly....

DSC00016.jpg

We had to strenghthen the front pannel to stop the oil cooler from potetially punching a hole in the radiator, which led to the discovery of some already broken spot welds that had left the front pannel twisted.

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

We cut, re-angled the exhaust and installed the lamda probe in the exhaust.

DSC00014.jpg

Remaining problems , very greatful for any help!!

1. Oil presure guage is not yet wired up. (I think I'mok with this)

2. Fuel guage is not accurate? Bad earth somewhere?

3. Most worring is the occasional vibration felt through the pedals?

4. Cooling fan is not swiching on?

5. Whine coming from the belt? I think it could be too tight, is it possible to adjust while the engine is in the car?

On the whole I absolutely love it, it just pulls and pulls!! :ph34r:

Cheers again for the help and advice.

John.

DrSarty
Remaining problems , very greatful for any help!!

1. Oil presure guage is not yet wired up. (I think I'mok with this)

2. Fuel guage is not accurate? Bad earth somewhere?

3. Most worring is the occasional vibration felt through the pedals?

4. Cooling fan is not swiching on?

5. Whine coming from the belt? I think it could be too tight, is it possible to adjust while the engine is in the car?

Cheers again for the help and advice.

1. As you probably know it's the white mushroom shaped thing on the front of the block. It should only be one wire, which goes via the multi-plug in the engine bay (which could be where a dodgy connection happens) to pin 8 on the 9 pin brown multiplug under the dash. You can always check your gauge works by taking the dash side of pin 8 and grounding it, and the needle should go to max.

2. Notoriously innacurate, but checking earths at the back will help.

3. Is your exhaust touching the bulkhead or cross member? Could be a wheel bearing. Or does the M/C clear the cam cover? Could be lotsa things.

4. Check fan works first, i.e. straight live. If it does it's likely to be the thermo switch in the rad. Do a search as it's possibly the most (repeatedly) asked question on here. Loads on threads, walk-throughs and answers on here for you. I'd also advise moving your cooling fan to the other side (inside of the rad) and making sure it pulls air through. More efficient that way.

5. Some say those with a slightly whining fan belt go better, but you can check and adjust tension in the car if you're prepared to cut your arms up. Tom Fenton and even the Citroen BX garage manual suggests removing the o/s engine mount and even alternator and raising the engine from underneath to make the job easier. I heard on hear recently though that a GTI6 has an auto-adjuster, so I may be taking out of my anus!

Edited by DrSarty

Fox

1. Mine is not working either

2. Didi it work ok before?

3. Yeah, mine does this too, gets worse on bends

4. Mine is run as per the standard 8v, from a sensor on the rad, yours I'd imagine will be different

James_m

3 is usually cam cover touching the MC. Try taking a grinder to the MC if you havent already, improved things quite a lot for my car :ph34r:

Retro Pug

Thanks again for responses! Good few things to check there...

Didi it work ok before?

Yeah was fine before, very strange?