• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
one-lady-owner

Hub Nut Woes......

one-lady-owner

Now being that assumption is the mother of all f***ups I drove my car to work this morning with a split CV boot thinking I'll use the tools at work and the forecourt. Lovely.....

Long story short, I've discovered that I don't have a socket anywhere near big enough to get the hub nut off, peugeot say its a 35mm, I can't even find a shop that sells 35mm sockets, would a 36mm do the trick? I've only got a 32mm, which is the biggest I have, and seemingly the biggest any of my friends have!

welshpug

most motorfactors sell 35mm hub nut sockets B)

Anthony

36mm socket will usually work on a 35mm nut just fine, although obviously the correct sized one is preferable!

Check that your nuts (oh-er) are 35mm btw, as whilst they are that from the factory, some aftermarket driveshafts like GKN come supplied with 36mm nuts...

Cameron

36mm socket has never let me down, on a nut that large 1mm doesn't make an awful lot of difference. Be prepared to have the engine running, brakes on and give it the fat back to get the buggers off though!

one-lady-owner

It's alright, I've found my parents neighbour has a 1inch and 3/8 socket on a 3/4 drive, snap-on, and a couple of foot worth of breaker bar, I start in the morning!! I've only gotta get one off so at least that'll make it a little easier. The last hub nut I removed was on my old 1971 Morris 1100, and I still have no idea what size it was, as my housemate at the time (a precision engineer) actually made a socket to fit..... he's a strange fellow, but definitely comes in handy!

one-lady-owner

Job done! My parents neighbour didn't have a socket in the end, but he did have a 36mm spanner (?!?!?!) using a 34mm spanner as leverage we managed to get it off, he's a big bloke and it took him 28" of leverage!!!?!?!?!?! Don't you just love garages and their ridiculous need to overtighten everything?

one-lady-owner

And I know it's all in my head but I'm sure it feels faster..... gotta love that I've just fixed something so I instantly feel the difference feeling!! :)

ablister

stupid me bought a 35mm mac tools one for about £40! Does get used alot on my 306 though and also on 307/206/407/308's etc etc

welshpug

ouch! I have a trusty draper one for a quarter of the price ;) not sure if they have the same warranty as a MAC socket though.

Cameron

On the subject of expensive tools, my Snap On long reach T55 bit was £29!! :)