• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

How To Repair A Dent In A Sill

djinuk

I am currently rebuilding a lot of my 205. Being a trusty well built pug there is no rust etc, however there is a dent in my sill where the jack previously slipped. The dent is not massive but i am wondering how to repair it. Its at the front of the car just under the wing.

Could i fill this or is there a better solution.

Usally i would leave it but once the car is all painted and the sills are stone chipped it will anoy me.

Miles

Not being a body man by any means, But an idea you could drill a small hole, insert a puller and taap the dent out which should get it back99%, then just fill/weld the hole up

Tom Fenton

That is how I would do it. Drill a small hole, and pull the majority out with a slide hammer. Use as little filler as possible.

djinuk

sweet, sounds a reasonable solution, ive got 2x dents in the floor plan aswell just like this, they are at the front just near where the subframe bolts on, i may acction these aswell as there is a bung which i can remove and stick the slide hammer on.

boombang

You can get to a fair bit of the sill from the holes inside the car. Need seat out and carpet up though.

A long bar in there used right will virtually get rid of any dent, meaning you may get away without painting at all.

Paintguy

I'd try boombang's suggestion first, but if you get no joy go for the other method. I've used it successfully many times in the past, but thankfully have use of a stud welder now which is a lot less invasive and you don't have holes to weld up afterwards.

SurGie

Is that the tool that you weld it to the bit that needs pulling then while its welded there you just pull ?

Paintguy

Yep, this sort of thing:

xxxw-motjo1500.jpg

Weld on the little studs and pull with a slide hammer, then break the tail off the stud off leaving just a small head to grind down. Awesome bit of kit for this kind of work :angry:

djinuk

cheers paintguy , i used to have acess to a heavy duty of the above for pulleing rear quarters and front panels out but unforuntuantly that business went under.