• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bogsye

Airflow Meter

Bogsye

Ran a wire to earth with a switch from the diagnostic plug and got the ECL to flash out it's codes:

Tweak of the thumb- 51 .The oxygen sensor shows a fault.

Unlucky for some - 13. That'll be the temporary resistor that I fitted into the AFM for air temperature.

Was going to take out the oxgyen sensor and test it, but it's stuck solid, so if it's going to be changed I think the garage can do it. Mind you, given my current luck they'll probably wreck the downpipe & cat in the process.

I'll check the resistance across the heater of the O2 sensor again tomorrow. One socket was open circuit, and the other had a very low resistance - 0.2KOhm. Better to double check. Today the rain got the better of me.

Nearly there - hopefully. :lol:

pug_ham
I'll check the resistance across the heater of the O2 sensor again tomorrow. One socket was open circuit, and the other had a very low resistance - 0.2KOhm. Better to double check. Today the rain . :lol:

0.2Kohm sounds about right from what I posted above. 0.2kohm is ~2ohms isn't it?

Can't you set the multimeter to a lower setting?

Graham.

Bogsye

I re-checked it again - without the rain!

The oxygen sensor itself seemed to give 0.9V as the car was warming up.

The heater plug was showing 0.05kOhms - so that would be 50 Ohms (cold). That seems a bit on the high side.

Also checked the supply to the heater plug and running, it's 13.5V, so that seems healthy.

Biggest issue is going to be removing the O2 sensor, as it's thoroughly rusted in. Will try a couple days of release oil, and see how that goes. Worst case if it destroys the downpipe & Cat I'll dispense with the cat and simply weld in the boss for the probe. The MOT was on the basis of non-cat.

Thanks,

Brian

Bogsye

With lots and lots of heat I managed to unscrew the old oxygen sensor, and now have the new one fitted!!

Looks like it's all back to working as it should. CO sits nice and low and the ECL doesn't come on. The only difference is that the idle seems a tad rough, but I've really not looked at timing, valve clearances. At least I should be able to get the MOT at last.

It also starts better from warm - previously it was very rough, and took a few minutes to find it's feet. I'll be interested to see how the fuel consumption works out.

Out of interest I bought a universal fit Bosch Oxygen sensor. It was £30 cheaper than the specific model, and all I had to do was use it's connector to link the wiring loom to the sensor - for originality it scores zero points, but it seemed fairly good.

Just a set of driving lamps & a wheel re-furb and it should be looking relatively tidy!!

Brian

Sign in to follow this