• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GilesW

205 Cage Options....

GilesW

Just got hold of a 205mi16.

It's got a 309 axel, GAZ coilovers etc and now I want to put a cage in it (it's my new track day toy).

I've been looking at cages available and it looks like people generally go for the OMP 6 point or sparco 6 point.

Now I'm sure they're pretty good cages, but does anyone have any comments on their pick-up points - as I note that they don't seem to pick up the rear beam points, and don't pick up the front turrets??

Also - what are the current cage options - I see the SD cages were quite liked, but I can't see anyone selling them - have SD gone down the pan?

If still available is the SD challange cage any good? What is it's weight, anyone know?

Also the sparco mp (or 10 point??) - is that still avilable?

Any other options?

I'm not after a bespoke cage, just something 'worth-while' having. And like I said I'm sure they're good, but are they very good or is there something better?

Oh, lastly - on ebay there is the lightweight OMP 6 point at the moment. Anyone have any comments on that?

Cheers for any info (and yes I did do a search but it really didn't give current info or a review of anything othe rthan the 6 points).

Cheers.

Baz

SD haven't gone down the pan, they're just picky about who sells them etc. Only approved dealers and a few other places can get them.

OMP's IMO aren't anywhere near as good as SD's but do the job, although it's something i wouldn't skrimp on...

The SD Challenge (C44) cage is the best bolt in off the shelf cage you can buy.

Is your new 205 Black per chance, H reg and end in 'BTA' ??

Edited by Baz

GilesW

Funnily enough Baz yes it is. lol

Do you know much about this car?

It has a 205gtidrivers sticker on the rear window. Bought it from a student in Bournemouth last week, who seems to have bought it from a guy in Maidstone a month before.

On the SD challenge cage - any pics and info?

Price (roughly) and dealers?

richsmells

I've seen this car! :D

Edited by richsmells

SurGie

SD ?

rapidcossie

my omp does bolt to the rear beam mounts.

GilesW

Oh. I thought the OMP looked like it doesn't pick up the rear beam mounts directly. Maybe it's just the pics I've seen being a bit poor.

I would like the harness bars on a cage too. OMP seem to do an 'options' list as long as your arm. Is that something they do (and the other diagonal)?

TBH the OMP seems 'adequate' but the lack of triangulation in the basic set up makes me think I should go up the ladder a liitle in terms of design.

Anyone who uses their car on teh track a lot got comments on any of this? Perhaps had a few different cages?

I have to say that the only think I'm not really loving about the SD C44 is possibly the weight. How heavy is it?

Miles

I know the car (I think) was itf from between Poole and Bournemouth?

Cage wise you can spend as little or as much as you like, Bolt in are easy to fit and don;t need much painting when finished but weld in need a full re-spray inside to get them looking good.

I tend to fit SD cages all the time as the quality is much better than OMP etc and for some reason I think (Maybe wrong) the other's don;t come painted.

Baz

It's Wurzel/Skeggyrik/Alastairh's old car!

Alastair (and i for that matter!) was after it again as soon as it came up for sale last week, gutted he(we!) missed out on it, it's quite a sorted one!

Baz
Funnily enough Baz yes it is. lol

Do you know much about this car?

It has a 205gtidrivers sticker on the rear window. Bought it from a student in Bournemouth last week, who seems to have bought it from a guy in Maidstone a month before.

On the SD challenge cage - any pics and info?

Price (roughly) and dealers?

Rough price is £620, but iirc that's +vat and delivery. 'Official' dealers; ABMotorsport, West Midlands Motorsport etc (if they are actually still about!)

GilesW

Baz - done a search on those user names and although found many posts, didn't actually find much saying about mods on this car.

Would really appreciate a PM on anything you know about it, as I'm new to the 205's and it could take me years to find out everything that's been done. lol

I'll PM Alastairh and Skeggyrik too.

Maybe you could PM me your mobile number too so we can have a chat about cages, rose jointed linkages and maybe more bits.

Cheers.

Baz

I remember a few things, shell isn't _the_ tidiest but fairly solid, and has time and money lavished upon it over the years! Has bigger/uprated rear anti roll and torsion bars on the 309 beam that Wurzel rebuilt, and features on the guide on the main site, with Gaz's all round etc. The Mi is a pretty good one, complete with a Maniflow/Longman 4-2-1 manifold.

You have a PM. :lol:

Wurzel

Blimey, first browse of the forum for ages and find this little thread!

The car used to be mine, bought as standard with a smokey standard engine. All mods (when I had it at least) were done by me.

PM sent