• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Checking For Wear In Wishbone Balljoints

Dave_McC

Following on from my post about where to source 309 wishbones, I finished dismantling the drivers side suspension tonight. This started with the car failing its MOT on play in the balljoint (and split driveshaft boots). Before I started dismantling, there certainly did appear to be a bit of up / down play in the balljoint - but now the wishbone is removed, with the "stub" of the balljoint held firmly in a vice, I can't detect any play in the balljoint. If the balljoint was knackered, would it show up like this?

I have had the suspension apart on this side recently - could I have the dreaded ovalled hub, in which case how can I check / tell? Surely I can just tighten the pinch bolt a bit tighter to take out any slop?

Any advice gratefully received!!

Dave

Miles

You'll be surprized what feels good to the hand and when on the MOT ramp fail's, I;ve had this a couple of times now and even looked at it when done and the loading makes a huge differance, One reason why I would never touch a S/H wishbone.