• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Help Me With Fuel Piping

djinuk

ok, i have done a gti6 conversion but now im looking at doing the fueling side of things. I though about cutting the metal piping back so that it dosent start at the bulkhead but instead a foot or so under the car and connection a section of 8mm fuel hose over it securing with a fuel pipe clip. and then bringing it up up the bulk head and secured with rubber P clips and then onto the gti6 fuel rail. The same would go for the fuel return.

As for the fuel filter i was going to use a 106 item which is push on fittings and mount this under the car just after the fuel tank.

My reason for this method is that i hope to move any danger away from the manifold area of the car, so that if a fuel hose is going to blow off it will be under the car as opposed to around the bulk head.

Comments and suggestions please.

Ive never worked with fuel hose so barbed connects etc all confuse me.

If anybody has better suggestions please explain them and if possible point me to the fittings online so that i can purchase them/

Am i right in saying 8mm fuel hose will be the correct diameter to connect to the 205 metal fuel lines under the car.

sussex_gti

I'd personally use metal pipe round the manifold area, purely to prevent any melting of rubber hose. I'm sure many more people can give better advice, but i've never liked how close the fuel lines are to the manifold on an 8v, let alone a 16v. Ive seen a few people mount the filter on the o/s inner wing, where the jack would originally go.

Paul_13

I personally would run everything inside the car, prevents the risk of things catching along the bottom.

Can you run rubber hoses all the way through the car? (i've got the same problem with the fuel lines)

Edited by paul_xiii

djinuk

hmm, taking on board what you have already said i can understand where you are coming from.. Where abouts can i get proper fuel hose barbed fittings..

Also what ID rubber hose will fit the original 205 metal fuel pipes, and what size do i need to go onto the gti6 fuel rail.

welshpug

the feed has a nut and olive fitting swaged onto the end of the pipe, and the low pressure return is just a push over and a clip fitting IIRC.

Ryan

edit: never mind

Edited by Ryan

djinuk
the feed has a nut and olive fitting swaged onto the end of the pipe, and the low pressure return is just a push over and a clip fitting IIRC.

Ah ,ive never worked with nuts/olive joints, what tool is needed to fit the olive ? , this is probably somthing that i should of done when the engine was out hey :ph34r:

Ethos

I've just pushed the pipe over the main line in like the return and used two heavy duty jubilee clips to secure it.

Edited by Ethos

Ryan

Pushed over pipe with two clips is all that's needed for things like the SVA test I believe, so if it's good enough for them...

djinuk

my problem is i question why peugeot would go through the trouble of using barbed connections if it wasnt needed etc.

Ryan

Who can say. Manufacturers do strange things. Maybe the barbed connections worked out a a penny cheaper - over a million cars it adds up!

Peetypug

i have cut the metal pipe about a foot back under the car and used 4 fuel pipe clips

the reason for this is i couln't fit the standard gti fuel filter where it should go

i've then fitted that to a 106 gti fuel filter where the jack should be

the fuel feed and return are just pushed on with 2 clips holding them

i will shortly be changing to solid lines through the inside of the car

gti-si

I've left the metal pipes how they are and bought a 1m length of 8mm fuel pipe. I've used the barbed end andolive fitment from the original and ran the fuel feed from the pipe straight to the o/s wing and then over the chais leg (under the engine mount) then brought it back up to the filter on the inner wing where it's secured with a bracket, same with the return minus a filter obviously. I've used a push fit filter but can't remember what it's from, it's bigger than a 106 one.

It keeps everything out of harms way though and looks good so that does it for me. Only took 10 mins. Just need to find a straight reducer from 10mm to 8mm for the Gti6 feed

djinuk

Well, i found a Caravan shop that sells 8mm Copper piping aswell as the barbed ends with the olive to fit. Im going to fit the 106 gti push on fuel filter under the car.

GLPoomobile
Well, i found a Caravan shop that sells 8mm Copper piping aswell as the barbed ends with the olive to fit. Im going to fit the 106 gti push on fuel filter under the car.

It's something that has crossed my mind before. I'd mount it just at the bottom of the bulkhead though. That way it is safe from getting caught if the car grounds out on something, but is low enough that there is no joint near the manifold.

Spiky

i had dash fittings welded onto my gti6 fuel rail

and then bought -6 stainless steel braied fuel line

i will be replacing the cabin for ptfe lined brained line soon :D

see my project thread for pictures

www.torques.co.uk for all the bits you will need

mention me and you will get it cheaper :D

Sign in to follow this