• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
manrajf

Brake Drum Removal

manrajf

Hi everyone

I took my car in for a MOT test today morning and unfortunately it failed because one of rear drum brake is leaking, so i got home put it on axle stands and undid the hub nut, but the drum hasnt come off, iv tried tapping the sides in case the shoes are stuck, but still no luck :P (before anyone says it i have released the handbrake lol)

I know there was a topic on here some time ago with someone struggling with the same thing, iv tried to search but cant find it or anything similar.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

manraj

Paul_13

Buy a hub removal tool from Halfrauds, may severely bugger your pads up!

manrajf

Cheers for the info guys, il try the notch as specified in the link, or il have to go to the fraudsters and get a puller tool

thanks

manraj

Miles

They can be a right pain, A puller is the best bet as the drums can be damaged if you lever them too much but it can be done that way.

I;d do both side's with new Slave Clyinders and shoes

RobBBoi

I found putting the wheel back on with 2 bolts gave me enough leverage to remove the hub.

wildejon

I had the same prob with mine, ended up using a puller, wrecking everything and replaced the lot, might as well while its all off then you won't have to touch it for years. Was really nice to drive afterwards!

Would rather do an engine swap...

SweetBadger

Also had a nightmare getting the drums off mine, turned out it was the inner part of the bearing seized on the stub axel.

As suggested try bolting the wheel back on a giving it a good pull while rotating it (make sure the car is well supported off the ground if you do this).

If that doesn't work I found that getting a large block of wood (2x2) and wedging it on to the back of the drum then twating it with a lump hammer shifted it - drums and bearings were undamaged

wildejon

I should add, that the problem with mine, was that the pads had worn into the drum and created a lip, which is normal after so many years I guess! so moving the drum was pulling hte whole assembly also.

Apparently there is a switch in there you can use to retract them but I never found it, I think it was all lies.

manrajf

Hi everyone cheers for the replies, i finally got the bugger off, i used the putting the wheel on and pulling while rotating method and it worked like a charm. Also everything came out intact nothing broke or snappped, but it was full of oil in there so had to give it a proper clean.

All im waiting for now is a new cylinder from gsf and put it back on. also since the bearing is in the drum is it hard to get the drum back on the stub axle?

thanks

manraj

post-12555-1245345910.jpg

billybluesky
Hi everyone cheers for the replies, i finally got the bugger off, i used the putting the wheel on and pulling while rotating method and it worked like a charm. Also everything came out intact nothing broke or snappped, but it was full of oil in there so had to give it a proper clean.

All im waiting for now is a new cylinder from gsf and put it back on. also since the bearing is in the drum is it hard to get the drum back on the stub axle?

thanks

manraj

oops it all looks a bit brake fluidy in there make sure your brake shoes arn`t contaminated too much if there`s only light contamination you can clean them up with brake cleaner but if they`re soaked you could do with replacing them also i recently had a sticking drum it turned out to be the bearing was tight on the shaft i just cleaned the shaft up with some emery and it was ok

ablister

if the cylinders were leaking so badly as to be noticed in a mot then the shoes will definately need replaced.

billybluesky

just a quick note to anyone who has to replace rear cylinders i always unbolt the cylinder from the backplate then holding the brake pipe nut with a spanner turn the brake cylinder to undo it thereby not ripping the end offf the brake pipe

Tom Fenton

Those shoes look to need replacing. I wouldn't chance reusing those.

manrajf

Hi all

the job is all done now, i got new shoes and replaced the cylinder, bled the sytem and everything is ok now, all i need now is for it to pass the MOT and jobs a good un :D

cheers

manraj

pug_ham

Did you do both wheel cylinders?

Last year I did one on my mums car & mentioned getting the other one done asap.

A week later I went to do it & I was just in time, it was leaking already.

Graham.

manrajf
Did you do both wheel cylinders?

Last year I did one on my mums car & mentioned getting the other one done asap.

A week later I went to do it & I was just in time, it was leaking already.

Graham.

Hi Graham

I only replaced the one that was leaking, but its been at the back of my head that i might need to do the other side, but the thing is i just need the car to pass its MOT as its my daily drive and i cant function without it lol. So il probably get the other side done sometime next week after it hopefully passes :ph34r:

manraj