• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stevon

1.6's Mpg?

stevon

Hi guys,

Right... I'm in the proces of buying a new car after the BMW horrendously failed it's MOT. So, I've been looking for about a week now and I've narrowed it down to a choice of three motors.

1. Peugeot 205 GTi, 1.6

2. Rover 25 1.4

3. Peugeot 307

The heart is saying the 205. The wallet is saying the Rover. The head is saying 205/Rover - so no help there. The girlfriends saying the 307, just to complicate things.

Anyway, to help aide my decision I was wondering what kind of MPG you get on a 205 1.6, when driven sensibly enough?

Here's my buying matrix just now, sorry for using $ - foreign keyboard!

205 GTi 1.6

Buying price: $1000

Insuring price: $1500

Total: $2500

Fun factor: 9.5/10 - no explanation needed.

Want it factor: 10/10 - want it the most, undoubtedly - the birds not keen at all though!

Running costs factor: 6.5/10 - an optimistic guess, repairs might be needed - but for my grand I'll be expecting something reasonably solid, if not I'll be factoring it in to my buying price... I'm guessing about 25-30mpg?

Rover 25 1.4

Buying price: $900

Insuring price: $1000

Total: $1900

Fun factor: 4/10 - Don't think they're meant to be terrible to drive but in comparison to the rest, a bit snoozy.

Want it factor: 3/10 - Wouldn't be my top pick but it's cheap to run/repair/buy

Running costs factor: 3/10 - had most of the major work done (head gasket), does 40mpg and would be cheap to fix.

Peugeot 307

Buying price: $2000

Insuring price: $1200

Total: $3200

Fun factor: 6/10 - I'd imagine it'd be a bit slow (looking at the 1.4s) but it'd be a comfortable ride and looks quite nice, wouldn't be any worse than a 206 I'd hope and that was fine.

Want it factor: 7/10 - Wouldn't mind getting into this every day, but wouldn't exactly look forward to it either.

Running costs factor: 6.5/10 - despite good fuel/tax savings - 40mpg and cheap tax - bills are meant to be hefty for these things and the electrics are a bit suspect... Could literally be sitting on a bill of a couple of hundred quid every other month and as a student it's not something I want at the back of my mind.

Although during the summer I'll be doing a lot less miles, maybe about 100-200 a week, I'd say I hit anywhere between 300-400 a week when I'm at Uni. So good MPG is a plus, but not an absolute deal breaker, but it gives the Rover/307 serious plus points at over 40mpg! Maintanance costs are important as with it being my final year I've exhausted my interest free credit as much as I want too and I don't plan on doing a lot of part-time hours with all the studying I'll have - major plus point for the Rover again, but the 307 has advantages with cheap fuel and the 205 will be relitavely cheap to fix if anything needs done. Finally, I'd like to have to spend as little as possible on a motor - both in terms of buying it and insuring it, with $2000 being my absolute max for purchasing a car and $1500 for insurance. The Rover fits this catagory perfectly but I think I'd boak every time I looked at it and it's certainly not something I could be proud of (and I love my cars)... The 205 is the inbetweener and although the insurance is slightly excessive I can pick up the car that I really, really want... Finally, the 307 will provide cheap tax, insurance and fuel - but repair costs will be the highest out the lot and the initial buying price will leave me quite skint...

Anyway, a lot is hindging on the MPG of the 205 - if it's really low (less than 25) I think that combined with the insurance is going to be too much to ignore - if its what I expect (about 30) then nothing changes and if its higher than I expect (anything above 30) it might just swing it.

Opions more than welcome on which car to buy and if you can think of anything else I might not be considering (as long as it's not a Vauxhall) then please suggest!

Thanks!

Tom Fenton

I took my 205 GTI 1.6 on the psooc euro trip last year, driving it at a steady cruising speed about 120kmh it averaged between 35 and 40mpg, I think on one tank fill it did 42mpg.

Luca

mate buy a 206 if you're worried about running costs, or get the 205 of you want a great car that's everyday fun.

lemmingzappa

At first I thought my 1.6 was terrible at fuel consumption. But then I realised if I stopped hammering it everywhere it was actually not too bad :blush:

Managed a 365 mile trip with fuel to spare even at constant motorway speeds (and some heavy traffic). Probably would have been even better if I didnt have a big oil problem.

Edited by lemmingzappa

James_R

I used to regularly see 330-340 to a tank with mixed local driving, and on a run eek'd up to 365 which is pretty good.

Worth mentioning sub 1500cc is a lower tax brakcet so worth thinking of, and the smaller engine'd 205's seem to manage 40+mpg and 50+ for the non turbo derv's

Edited by James_R

richsmells

You must be pretty young to be paying that much for insurance. I got my 205 when I was 18 and paid around the same. In hindsight I should have bought something cheaper to insure and driven that for a year. Your insurance will halve, meanwhile you can keep a lookout for a tidy 205.

Something like a 205 XS, rallye or even a diesel would be good.

If you want a car you can just jump in every week, drive 350 miles and not worry, I would say a 205 gti wouldn't be the best choice. That's not to say I haven't done it. Mine's been very reliable, but needs maintaining. There's always something that needs doing. If you're willing to get your hands dirty and learn you can do many of the jobs yourself, however if you don't have the time or space you will find yourself getting frustrated with the car.

Edited by richsmells

Richie

I'd have the 1.6 anyday out of those 3. Might be worth looking at the rallye/xs/106 xsi.

I had a peugeot 307, it was the most unreliable and unrewarding car i've ever owned. Never again, electrical nightmare.

Batfink

i'd get a rallye or similar as I got 600 miles to a tank on mine.

stevon

Thanks to everyone for the help - so I'm taking a rough calculation from the figures quoted we're talking about 30mpg-35mpg, depending on how you drive?

I think I emphasised cost too much in my origional post - if I get a 205 I'll be tinkering around with it all the time getting the most out of him, polishing him and generally just being a sado enthusiastic little boy around him! But what I mean is I don't fancy any regular £500 jobs at the garage or anything like that! Which is what I fear/expect from the 307. Don't mind paying for the insurance, I need to get off a named driver policy and start building up my own NCD (been driving for 18 months, so could've had this much, much cheaper).

jimistdt

She - Stevon - 205's are she's.

STDT 1.8TD 420= miles a tank, spend more time driving than fixing - and as I've just found - with a 20mm ARB - it's a hoot!!

Edited by jimistdt

stevon

All my cars have been he's :) Although... Pricilla the Peugeot does have a ring to it!

richsmells
30mpg-35mpg, depending on how you drive?

Or less :)

Actually mine's okay on a good run. Pretty poor around town though.

If you don't want any nasty surprises, check the rear beam is in good condition or has been replaced. If this hasn't been done, it will need it eventually.

stevon

What's the damage on a rear beam? I'm not expecting a brand new car, or anything close to it and luckily I should have a bit of breathing room if I pick one up at the right price... Because I'd expect whether you spent £500 or £3000 on a 205 they're going to need something done to them!

Cheers for the feedback guys :P

jimistdt

To rebuild a beam with new bearings and shafts you may be looking at £200-£300.

You can probably buy a rebuilt one for a shade more than that.

stevon

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say a belated (slight underexaguration!) thanks for all your help!

For anybody who cared, the price concious student of 2009 went and bought a Mercedes 190E Cosworth! Tell you what, great car, great memories and miss it very much (someone decided to drive into him last Christmas...)

Pugleyrich

So, what are you driving now? Did you get a 205 in the end?

lfallgti

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say a belated (slight underexaguration!) thanks for all your help!

For anybody who cared, the price concious student of 2009 went and bought a Mercedes 190E Cosworth! Tell you what, great car, great memories and miss it very much (someone decided to drive into him last Christmas...)

Thanks for the update. ;)

davey205

I get about 320 miles to the tank but its all short driving town etc to work

JRL

My smart real world figures are only 45-55 mpg my 1.9mi16 is alot more juicy but my 1.6 is unbelievably economical and must be getting 35mpg+ I would happily use it everyday so much so i thought of getting rid of my smart run about. the smart is £30 tax per year but I pay alot more to insure it than the 1.6 at only £160 per year! 205 gti everyday? Hell yes!

Daviewonder

I get about 18 MPG from my 1.6 :blink:

P.S. I'm aware this thread is over 2 years old :lol:

JRL

Daviewonder, is it on carbs or modified? sounds like you need your injectors cleaning :lol:

Daviewonder

Daviewonder, is it on carbs or modified? sounds like you need your injectors cleaning :lol:

Totally standard mate :( Too expensive to use every day.

You think it might be injectors?

Anthony

It's got issues that's for sure.

I'd check/replace the ECU temp sensor as a first port of call, as that being fault means you'll struggle to better low 20's ever.

A vaguely healthy 1.6 should get low-mid 30's mpg quite easily. I was getting 37mpg from the cammed 1.9 (on Jetronic) in the 205 I recently sold

Daviewonder

I think I'll give the temp sensor a go. Don't know whether to chance Intermotor or to pay the extra and go genuine?

stevon

I'm looking in to a 205 again mate... Had quite a few cars since the origional post (BMW 318 E46, Merc C220cdi, MX5(!), Vauxhall Combi, VW Golf GTi)!