• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Saveit

Few Quick Megasquirt Questions

pugpete1108
ive just picked this thread up im james btw

you can run 8 injectors (2injectors/cyl) you have a number of options:

staged whereby you run a single set of low flow injectors at idle, and then run a larger set at the higher rpms

staged whereby you run a single set of low flow injectors at idle, and then run both a larger set at the higher rpms

or run two banks of the same injectors firing alternately so the gas stream doesn't become saturated

the Peugeot/citron vr sensor is not an issue as long as you use shielded cable and the v3 mainboard

as said dont buy ms2 as most of the extra features are unimplemented

if you want to tune your engine your self and drive it on the road don't use alpha n its not necessary draw your map reading from all 4 ports just like you do with your brake servo

im a bit worried about the miss information in this thread tbh the vr sensor provides you with crank position information that controls all the spark timing and also provides you with a rpm output on the ecu

are you planning on running wasted spark or coil on plug

what engine are you planning or running with?

the blue cts from the std gti can be used

as long as your tps is a variable resistance type not switch you can use it

you dont need 4 coil driver for wasted spark you need 2

can you post your engine type and spec and ill tell you what you need?

thanks

james

there you go :blink:

wracing

ive missed out a few bits because didnt want to post a massive essay

if you post your details ill compile a specification i would use to give you a headstart

james

Saveit

Why would you recommend using VR sensor instead of hall? Seems to me that putting a Golf 16v dizzy is a lot easier and most importantly easier to get running than the VR - which is often mentioned as being crap?

Why do i need ignition drivers if i use 4 of the LS1 coils (Coil on plug system)? This is taken from megamanual.com: "Instead they are complete single-cylinder ignition systems. They contain all the electronics for dwell limiting, current limiting, etc. These coils are controlled directly by a low voltage, low current signal from the sequencer. There is no intervening ignition module (like an EDIS or GM DIS). Because the LS1 coils have the igniters built in, they make for an easy installation and generate less electromagnetic noise in the other wiring under the hood."

Well the engine is a 1.6 8v with longmans ultimate race head and cam. It will run on throttle bodies (still looking for some) with a set of injectors in the bodies (or at the manifold) and one set remotely mounted in front of the trumpets. 4-2-1 exhaust. Bit higher compression than normal, something like 11:1 cr. The car was a 1.9 gti and is fitted with jetronic as of this moment. If you need any other specs let me know.

wracing

personally i wouldn't bother with the injectors in front of the trumpets unless you are shorting the intake track massively or running at 10000rpm plus there are more losses than gains i would choose to put a set of small injectors pointing at the valve throat and a larger set in the throttle bodies this way you have good idle fuel control but still retain the flow for high rpms

on the 1.6 enigne where are you going to attach the cam position sensor needed for true coil on plug?

not all ls1 coils have igbt's internally

the vr has been used on millions of Peugeot/Citroen cars in the past there is nothing wrong with the device small compact most gearboxes have a location for it and there is already a flywheel in circulation with 60-2 teeth

i would go for:

mega squirt v1 with a version 3 mainboard + extra ign driver

msns-extra code

speed density algorithm (alpha n as a last resort )

banked injection row of 215cc/min injectors and a row of 360cc/min injectors

wasted spark controlled by a 60-2 tooth wheel on the crank, coil pack from 405,306,406 anything with an xu 8v really

std cts

tps from bodies

iat from s16 as this has a flexable plug and is easy to mount at the trumpet mouth

tech edge or innovate wideband controller +sensor

knock sensor if you want to get really aggressive and run different fuels

nice and easy system well documented as your not doing anything bleeding edge no real difficult fabrication

if you want cop

mega squirt v1 with a version 3 mainboard + 3 extra ign drivers (depending on coils used )

msns-extra code

cop controlled by a 60-2 tooth wheel on the crank(with the 2 missing teeth welded up to form a 62 tooth wheel),locked out std distributor with cap rotor removed and blanked to use the hall sensor in the std distributor

std cts

tps from bodies

iat from s16 as this has a flexable plug and is easy to mount at the trumpet mouth

the first one i would choose tbh if you want to use ls1 coils then forget about the ign drivers as youve said. just remember running a high perfomance engine you may want control of dwell, sparktime and whatnot?!?!

i don't think ive missed anything....long day at work!

james

Saveit
on the 1.6 enigne where are you going to attach the cam position sensor needed for true coil on plug?

Wont the Golf 16v distributor with Hall effect do?

i would go for:

mega squirt v1 with a version 3 mainboard + extra ign driver

msns-extra code

wasted spark controlled by a 60-2 tooth wheel on the crank, coil pack from 405,306,406 anything with an xu 8v really

std cts

tps from bodies

nice and easy system well documented as your not doing anything bleeding edge no real difficult fabrication

What is this speed density algorithm?

Why will i need to use the innovate wideband lambda? I have one that i can borrow for tuning, but wont a narrow band do for running afterwards when its mapped?

And cant i use the Golf 16v distributor to control the wasted spark? As far as i know it is possible? I want to avoid VR sensor if possible because of two thing. First is that i already have a lightened flywheel which is not the 60-2 trigger type, and secondly MANY people claims that it is rubbish although you are probably right when saying it works.

And BTW, thanks james :lol:

wracing

thats ok, people say its rubbish as they don't take the time to tweak fettle adjust to get the thing running spot on, they just give up and moan straight away!

most vr issues are down to the lack of shielded cable and proper earthing

i dont have anything against the golf dizzy but the std 205 does the same job? less fabrication and less to got wrong. it is possible to run both wasted spark and cop off just a cam sensor but i haven't done it before, i can offer advice but it may not be right :lol:

you dont necessarily need a wideband i just like to have one so i can see what my mixtures are doing in my datalogs, if your planing ego correction a wideband sensor has less overshoot.

narrow bands only tell you rich or lean its possible in interpolate the values to extrapolate a mean afr with turbos and high compression you dont have time to do this without causing damage

the difference between speed density and alpha n is the method and data used for load calculation simply speaking

speed density relies on map

alpha n relies on throttle position

hybrid alpha n relies on map and tps but very hard to tune well!

thanks

james

Saveit

But if the stdt 205 dizzy does the same job as the Golf on, why is it mentioned several places in this forum to use when using megasquirt? Are you sure there is no difference?

So speed density is just some software which is already on the megasquirt?

ifcho

The MS software supports several types of load methods. You can run your car in alpha-n mode (based on the TPS signal) or in speed density mode (based no the MAP signal - vacuum).

I find alpha-n much easier for mapping, but it is not as precise as the speed density algorithm.

I don't see a point in using a modern ECU and a technology from the last century (dizzy). Use the VR sensor. I don't know about the LS1 coils, but you can use the wasted spark coil-pack from a peugeot/citroen, or you can get 4 individual coils from bmw and run them in wasted spark mode (no need for the cam sensor, and still get the benefits of COP).

Saveit

Well using the dizzy is not for distributing sparks, only for the trigger system. So its not like i am using a modern ECU with old dizzy, since the dizzy is just for triggering - similar to the VR. But if all of you say use VR, then ill do that - no problem.

Which coils from BMW is this?

Well according to megamanual.com LS1 or LS2 coils is far superior to regular coils. They have some built in dwell thingy, built in ignitor and some other clever things. I read that PeterT used them together with the Golf16v distributor, so i was hoping he would comment on this thread, but sadly he havent.

welshpug

what's all this mention of STDT parts? that's a DIESEL model....

Saveit

Haha i think STDT was a short version of the word standard for some reason? Well English is not my native language, so sorry about that <_<

EDIT: Oh now i got it... std :lol:

Edited by Saveit

Grez4

Glad you asked mei, I thought it was me!