• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 1.6 Gti Engine Rebuild

Rob Turbo

As I mentioned in my 205 project thread, I've donated the original 1.6 engine from my 205 to my girlfriend Kirsty. I had decided I had no use for it so was going to give it away on here, but seeing as she was doing a mechanics course at college I thought I'd offer it to her first (she's now finished her 2nd year and passed both level 1 and 2 city and guilds). The original idea was just pull it apart and put it back together, just for the experiance, but I've decided it's going to have a turbo added to the build.

I'm going to be buying any new bits she wants for it, within reason! With this being the most technical thing she's done so far I'll also be lending a hand, but I'm insisting on her doing the hands on stuff.

The engine has been sat for over a year, most of the time it was in the engine bay of the 205, but earlier this year I pulled it out and moved it down the field where the work will be done on it, but it was left outside for a couple of months, I did cover it over but the cover blew off in the wind and it ended up open to the elements, but a couple of days ago I got my 2.0 turbo engine off the engine stand and onto a trolley, so today me and my brother carried the engine into the shed and I put it on the stand. I didn't tell Kirsty, I left it as a surprise for when I picked her up!

Here it is on the stand,

th_Photo-0210.jpg

When I picked her up I didn't tell her, I just took her down the shed with some tools and a couple of bits for my engine as a reason to be going down! When she saw it she was over the moon and got cracking taking bits off. For the time being she's just saying "I'll take that off now", I then tell her what it is and what it does, so far she's removed the exhaust manifold, distributor, dipstick tube, alternator, inlet manifold and oil breather pipes, in that order! I didn't get any more photos, I ended up covered in oil after braying the oil drain plug out with a hammer and chisel, apparently she will carry on pulling it apart tomorrow, I'll try to keep clean and get photos, and I WILL get some photos of her working, even though she thinks I won't!

But, last of all, how lucky am I? She WANTED the engine to rebuild :mellow:

Paul_13

Your lucky to have a bird who's even interested in cars, normal your mention anything about a car and they walk off :unsure:

Baz

Depends how well you get on IMO!

Sometimes it's not such a great thing, crosses over into too much of your life and then you argue about everything rather than just the usual mundane stuff! :unsure:

Rob Turbo

She wasn't interested in cars until she met me, a car was a car and a 205 was an old car! She's still learning and doesn't argue about anything car related, yet, although I'm sure she will start trying to tell me what's what before long! She can't drive yet either, got a provisional but hasn't started taking lessons, she wants a micra when she passes as well, I'm still trying to talk her out of it though!

I went down the shed with some bits for my engine earlier so I cracked the bottom pulley bolt off for her, took a couple of photos of how the engine stands at the minute, covered everything in WD40, then pushed it out the way so I could carry on with my engine.

th_Photo-0213.jpg

th_Photo-0214.jpg

She's coming up later to get cracking with it again, I've told her she should be able to have it completely stripped today but we'll see how well she gets on!

DrSarty

Can we have a picture of your girlfriend too? Possibly a bit grubby... :unsure:

Rob Turbo

I'll try to get one of her oiled up later :unsure:

Baz
:unsure: No shame ehh Rich!

Rob Turbo

Well that's the end of the turbo idea!! The main bearings are scored, the big end bearings are scored and worn, the crankshaft seems discoloured, not sure if it's starting to rust of what, but the journals are going an orangy brown colour and you can see the score marks from the bearings, but you can't feel the marks on the journals so might not be too bad, either way it's not getting that ammount of money put into it when I have a 306 to get through an mot and a 205 to build!

It's being put back together, just will all the old parts, old gaskets etc. and just thrown together basically, Kirsty has lost interest now that it's not being rebuilt properly, once it's all back together I'll chuck it in a corner and rob bits off it as and when they're needed, at least Kirsty got to take an engine apart and (sort of) put it back together!