• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Changing From Banjo To Push On Fuel Filter

Ethos

Hi guys

I've rung all my local places and the only filters they have for the 205 are the push filters.

Ok... so I guess I could change over. The main line from the filter to the fuel line is fairly soft so I could probably just use a fuel clip onto the top of the filter for this?

Then comes the main line coming in with its spastic metal connector... I can't really see how to get this off with the MI in place... literally no room to get anything on it (although i'll keep trying).

Any tips? Is there alot more work to changing from banjo to push than I think? I'm happy to get another banjo filter I simply can't find one!!

Thanks

Ethos

I can't see anyway to get it off, I've cut off the banjo like suggested in this thread:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...pipe++connector

But my spanners don't fit over it very well (v.tight).

http://g.imagehost.org/0719/SNB20513_Custom.jpg

Fed up, all I wanted to do was fit a new bloody fuel filter.

Edited by Ethos

M@tt

it's an arse to get to but you just have to perservere.

try loosening the nut on the clamp that holds the metal pipes to the bulkhead, that wil allow you more movement of the pipes and possibly better access. Try attacking it from underneath or from the drivers side wheel arch with the wheel removed.

Ethos

Thanks Matt, haven't tried from the wheel arch or underneath yet.

Also think I might pop to halfords tomorrow and get a 14mm crowsfoot socket (if they have any).

Ethos

Ok, I have loosened the bottom nut... but am a bit stuck now.

If I keep turning the TOP nut the thread beneath it keeps spinning too.

What is the next step? I tried pulling hard, but i'm quite concerned about bending / damaging the fuel pipe!!

M@tt

you need 2 spanners on it,one on the top part, one on the bottom

If I remember correctly, mine took a lot of force to come off, but it pulled off eventually.

Ethos

I've been pulling like a crazy man :)

It spins v.freely on the pipe.

Edited by Ethos

Any luck? I seem to remember mine spinning freely as well, but was a right bugger to get off still. I think Anthony removed it for me in the end!

Ethos

No mate, I've pulled very hard- tried twisting and pulling hard, I'm really concerned about bending / damaging the main fuel line.

Why did you end up doing it?

We are talking about the connection on the bulkhead - for the high pressure line, where it goes from the metal pipe to the rubber pipe (and then on to the bottom of the filter)?

If so, I just had a rummage in the garage and I'm sure I've found the metal connection and if it's the right one it is just a "push" fit which gets screwed on tight with the bottom "nut".

Like I said, I'm sure it required a fair amount of brute force.

I changed mine for my gti6 conversion (now have a push fit 106 filter mounted in the o/s wing, so much easier).

Ethos

Yes, we're on the same page :)

Hmm, maybe I'll try some more force- after covering it in WD40 overnight.

Have you done away with the connection altogether then, if so how are you clamping the new fuel pipe to the metal pipe?

tom_m

trust me you have to pull like you want to break it, i got some grips on the nut end of the pipe and after a bit of effing and blinding it popped off.

Using 8mm ID fuel hose with a couple of proper fuel hose clips - seems to do the job, but I've hardle run the engine with it like this. The end of the metal pipe also has a bit of a "lip" which might help with the sealing of the rubber hose, but I think fuel hose clips do the job anyway.

GLPoomobile

I don't think I struggled to seperate the joint on that pipe. The only struggle I had was in undoing the joint, because I assumed it would be the top nut that needed to be undone, but it's actually the bottom nut :D

Once I had mine apart, I cut the old hose off of the bit with the nut on it, and then slid the new hose over the barbed section and clamped it on with a fuel hose clip. Then I just fixed it back to the metal pipe as it was originally, by doing the nut up.

M@tt

if its proving to be that much of a ballache, get under the car, cut both the metal fuel lines just before they bend up to the bulkhead, get 3m of 8mm rubber fuel hose and a couple of fuel pipe clamps and fit a push on tails type fuel filter on the inner wing.

30 mins job done

Paul_13

I had to pull at mine like there's no tomorrow to get it off, seems as though the pipe deforms from tightening the union

Ethos
I had to pull at mine like there's no tomorrow to get it off, seems as though the pipe deforms from tightening the union

I can see me getting it off but at the cost of a very bent / damage fuel line :D

Edited by Ethos

Ethos

Hmm, maybe i'll give it one last go tonight (I WD40'd it alot last night).

M@tt, I see you suggest cutting before the bend- is there any reason for this? If this failed I was just going to cut the pipe below the connection and connection like you stated.

Is there any issue with fuel pressure and holding the pipes this way? I was probably going to use 2-3 fuel clips :D

Paul_13

Could you not run the lines inside the car and re-do the whole lot?

Ethos
Could you not run the lines inside the car and re-do the whole lot?

Don't really fancy the hassle / expense.

The only reason I'm changing the fuel filter is cause the car is undriveable and I was hoping a fuel filter may be the issue.

...and the only reason I'm messing about with the line like this is because I couldn't find a banjo 205 filter- although no doubt someone will tell me just to use one from a xxx car now!

Anthony
...and the only reason I'm messing about with the line like this is because I couldn't find a banjo 205 filter- although no doubt someone will tell me just to use one from a xxx car now!

All 205/309 GTi (indeed, probably all 205/309 XU injection models) use a banjo filter, and last time I looked these were still commonly available.

Are you sure that the motorfactor hasn't supplied you with a 205 carb fuel filter, as they're a push-on style filter but almost certainly no good for handling the fuel throughput and particularly pressure of an injection system. If you're really struggling to find the correct filter locally, give me a shout as chances are I've either got a new one in the garage or can get one for you :o

As has been said above, seperating the union where the high pressure solid pipe meets the rubber can be "challenging" :D

Ethos
All 205/309 GTi (indeed, probably all 205/309 XU injection models) use a banjo filter, and last time I looked these were still commonly available.

Are you sure that the motorfactor hasn't supplied you with a 205 carb fuel filter, as they're a push-on style filter but almost certainly no good for handling the fuel throughput and particularly pressure of an injection system. If you're really struggling to find the correct filter locally, give me a shout as chances are I've either got a new one in the garage or can get one for you :angry:

As has been said above, seperating the union where the high pressure solid pipe meets the rubber can be "challenging" :o

Yep, I popped into halfords and went through it with the guy- quoted the 205 gti 1.6 and the mi16 for him to find the models they had down- all were push on connections not banjo.

Also rung up two stores of "mill auto" and the chap said they only had 1 model for them and it wasn't banjo.

I've already cut the banjo off the main fuel line (to get a ring spanner over) so I'm kind of stuck with progressing towards the push on fuel filters now :D

Ethos

Little update, managed to get the connection off and the new line mated up to it.

Also get a tiny 106 gti filter which seems good, just need to get a little bracket for it. I had to change the 10mm main fuel line to the rail for 8mm and it wasn't very tight on the filter.

Didn't solve my problem though, car is still very jerky- guess i'll have try some other stuff.

For reference this is what the connection looks like:

con1.jpg

con2.jpg

Sign in to follow this