• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oli-pug

Intermediate Driveshaft Bearing Working Loose

oli-pug

Strange one this. Ever since I replaced my offside driveshaft with a GKN part from GSF i've been having problems.

When fitting the shaft, I can press the bearing fully and squarely into its housing fairly easily with a tap from a rubber mallet. I've fitted new hockey stick bolts and it seals fine at the diff.

However, after about 20 miles of normal driving, it develops a hurrendous knocking on acceration and left hand bends. The shaft is somehow working its way out of the diff enough for it to leak a little and the bearing manages to unseat slightly. Now i'm completely baffled as the hockey stick bolts are done up tight, any more torque and they'll start to bend I think.

I've checked the part number on the driveshaft and it's definitely the one they list for the 309 gti

I've just taken these pics after a 10 mile drive. I pressed it all back in again last night but its still playing up. As you can see, the end of the shaft has come out slightly, on the verge on sealing. The black ring is about 20mm away from the mount with the bearing fully home but its more like 5mm now.

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

• Like 1

Flix

I reckon the bolts are in the wrong way round.

EdCherry
I reckon the bolts are in the wrong way round.

They are in the right way... how would they go in the other way without fouling the CV joint?

Used new nylocs?

What is that black ring, and is the bearing nice and tight in the housing?

Edited by EdCherry

Ryan

The bearing isn't loose on the shaft is it? It should be tight.

oli-pug

Yes definitely in the right way round :mellow: I haven't used new nuts, didn't think they had nylocs on them anyway. Mine always had the other type of locking nut that's slightly oval.

The bearing is a nice tight fit as it needs a little tap to get it in fully, and the hockey stick bolts are meeting up to the bearing ok.

I have no idea what the black thing is for, don't remember my old shaft having one on it. Anyone?

Could this be anything to do with having a plate diff? Sounds silly but i'm running out of ideas. Usually good at this problem solving malarky.

BackStreetRacecars

the black part should surely sit at the diff seal side.....

no?

Miles

No thats fine, the Ring secures the bearing in place, All shafts have them fitted as it a good place to hit them when they corrode in the housing.

The inner part of the shaft is the same on all 205, 309, 306, 405 etc

oli-pug

Done another 20 miles or so and the black ring part is now flush inside the housing :unsure:

Might try another engine mount or something. Only other thing could be the bearing bolt holes are ovalled. Will have to check tomorrow, got a serious hangover today!

welshpug

sounds like the black securing ring isnt as secure as it should be, take it back....

oli-pug

How do you mean mate? i'm not entirely sure what its there for tbh. Is it supposed to sit up against the bearing then?

DrSarty

Welshpug is probably right, but please allow me to suggest something stupid, as sometimes the obvious is the answer.

Are you sure you're pinching up the 'hockey stick bolts' such that they are turned and locked into their recesses? They take quite a lot of 11mm winding IIRC and a fair amount of bolt/thread sticks out the end.

welshpug

yes, check that first :unsure:

that black ting of metal secures the bearing in place, if t moves it allows the driveshaft to come out of the gearbox, thouygh it wont go that far as its bolted into the hub.

oli-pug

Suggest away sarty :unsure: .... but yes they're 100% locked in the recesses.

oli-pug

God, i'm retarded. Only just cottoned on to what everyone's been on about! It's always the simple things that confuse the hell out of me :)

Just taken the shaft out for what feels like the 17th time, here's what i was faced with.

dsc00424l.jpg

Now i'm pretty certain the black ring was only pressed 10mm or so onto the second step on the shaft when i got it from GSF anyway, and the bearing was a little bit further down, so they were at fault there. I didn't understand its use at the time so just whacked it on the car like it. I'm guessing the bearing needs to be flush up against the cv with the black ring securing it in place right?

Does this look better? :)

dsc00428a.jpg

welshpug

yup, 2nd pic is as its meant to be, so it came as it was in the first pic? DOH!

oli-pug

Yeh, pretty s*ite really. Not impressed with Gkn's quality control.

welshpug

I'd certainly look at taking it back myself, that ring should be a pretty tight fit.

as for the quality of GKN components, I've always found them far better than anything else, as close as you can get to buing an o.e shaft IMO :)

oli-pug

Oh the bearing and ring are definitely a tight fit, took a fair bit of careful force to get them to budge up. Its just that the ring hadn't been fitted in the right position from factory. I'm not saying the quality of their components is poor, just the assembly process must be amiss for this to get by.

I'll see how it goes over the next few days, hopefully it'll all stay put.

Only other annoyance is i lost a litre of gear oil on the way home this morning :blink:

Miles

I see quite a few with a small tack weld on them

Sign in to follow this