• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

Painting Magnesium Rocker Cover

24seven

My mi rocker cover has been painted at some point, I assume with just a rattle can and no primer, which naturally has failed. more importantly, when the rocker cover gets hot (quite hot) the paint that's on there goes soft and has been dribbling onto the manifold, which scared the balls off me one spirited drive when the engine bay started randomly smoking.

Basically, where can I get suitable high temperature etch primer to coat the rocker cover with before painting? I've got some high temp red paint left over from painting the calipers on my 306 last year, which has lasted very well, but to prime those I literally just cleared out the rust and treated them with Kurust (also treated my 205's boot floor with this stuff, it's brilliant!) and painted over and as said I've had no issues.

Thanks,

Guy

Andy F

have u considered getting it powder coated at all?

had mine done and never had any issues with it obviously a bit more costly but you get what u pay for

24seven

on a tight budget really. plus I'm thinking of grinding off the 16v logo and stencil spraying something on instead, or at least painting the logo a different colour.

MerlinGTI

Normal etch primer will be fine, did my calipers in normal etch before I POR15'ed them, no issues.

KRISKARRERA

Even powder coating fails eventually. Mine's now beginning to flake off my cam cover, though it is around 7 years old.

24seven

where can I get etch primer? neither B&Q nor Halfords locally seem to know it exists!

MerlinGTI

Although I've never bought it from halfrauds, I'm sure I've heard people on here state they do it. If not google for an automotive paint and supplies place near to where you live

205wrc
where can I get etch primer? neither B&Q nor Halfords locally seem to know it exists!

Halfords usually stock etch primer. It's an UPOL product, known as ACID 8. Red can - silver top.

woodsy

On mine i used the yellow filler primer from halfords and never had problem with it.