• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
All Praise The GTI

How To Get An Accurrate Speedo Reading?

All Praise The GTI

when i had my trackcar running before; gti-6 engine vts box it would always read about 10mph fast.

i think it had a red? drive in the speedo housing thing. do i just need to fitt a black? gti one to make it read right?? and is it just the small drive thing that needs changing or does the big block cog that turns it inside the housing(3 13mm bolts to remove) need to be changed also?

thanks

nat

Ryan

The gears for the speedo need to be matched to the size of wheels you use. So say you're using 1.9 GTI wheels, then you need 1.9 GTI speedo gears.

All Praise The GTI

right ive got a be1 1.9 box(i think) in the garage so do i need to swap both the small cog and the one inside the housing? just want sort it before i put the shafts and oil in lol

thanks

oli-pug

You only need to swap over the cog attached to the plastic speed sensor.

All Praise The GTI

ok thanks il try that :mellow:

RossD

I did this on my project car - Basically if the speedo is reading too fast, you need to get a pinion (small gear!) with one more tooth. If it's reading too slow, go down a tooth. Keep going up or down teeth until its correct, or as close as possible :mellow: Any car with a BE gearbox will have a pinion that will fit, so the scrappies are full of them. (The pinions from an MA gearbox wont fit a BE, they are *just* too small)

Mine is now spot on to about 30mph and then 3mph fast until silly illegal speeds, probably as good as it's ever going to be :D

Edited by RossD