• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gwpug

306 Dturbo

gwpug

Hello all not really sure were to post this but im a bit confused with the fans on the car that iv just bought.

When the car gets hot the fans dont kick in!

I tried to 'hotwire' the temp switch on the rad which i presume is for the fans but it has 3 wires so not sure which ones to go for!!!

To complicate it even more theres a multiplug which seems to go to the fans and i have no idea what each 1 does?!

If anyone has any wiring diagrams or could shed some light on how these work it would be much appreciated!

car is non air con if that matters.Cheers

foreigner
Hello all not really sure were to post this but im a bit confused with the fans on the car that iv just bought.

When the car gets hot the fans dont kick in!

I tried to 'hotwire' the temp switch on the rad which i presume is for the fans but it has 3 wires so not sure which ones to go for!!!

To complicate it even more theres a multiplug which seems to go to the fans and i have no idea what each 1 does?!

If anyone has any wiring diagrams or could shed some light on how these work it would be much appreciated!

car is non air con if that matters.Cheers

Just try to hotwire the wires in the connector I think it's 1 and 3 together, if you tried all combinations, check relays under the grill if they clicking, if nothing works then it's scrappy time and new fans as it's common thing on them , I had 3 and all 3 of them had problems with fans.

I just got slim fan stuck it from inside to suck instead of blow made the loom out of old relays and fuse, connector from another 306 so you don't alter anything in the loom and it's been working fine,

Tom Fenton

Non air con makes things easier, if you think yours is tricky you should try and get your head around the fan wiring on a GTI6 with air con, super complicated!

In your case, first check all fuses are OK. Then with some lengths of wire provide a direct live and earth to each fan from the battery to test that the fans do work. After that the next thing to do is disconnect the plug from the switch on the rad. Short across pairs of terminals at a time, one pair will do nothing, one pair should run the fans in slow, the other pair should run the fans in fast. If this works, then replace the switch in the rad, they do seem to fail quite often.

If the fans do work, but don't respond as above, it may be that you have a duff relay in the box behind the grille, these can be replaced for standard relays of the same type available from any decent factors.

gwpug

thanks for the advice will have a look on the weekend!

will have to sort the starting out aswell for mot dont think the mot man will appreciate having to use a screwdriver to start her :wub: