• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris 417 mi

Subframe Captive Nut Help !

chris 417 mi

Removing the subframe to send to be powder coated, thing is ive managed to get all the bolts about except the one on the drivers side at the front (near the strut).

Its just spinning in its nut and refuses to come out, tried dropping the frame and using all the weight to force the nut to grab onto something but this hasnt worked, have a snapon impact gun on the job and its still not moving.

Does anyone have any ideas ?? and can i replace the captve nut without cutting a hole in the chassis ??? :rolleyes:

EdCherry

You can replace the nut without cutting a hole in the chassis.

Have you got any space between the chassis rail and subframe at all?

Simes

Funnily enough the same thing happened to me the other day when re-fitting my seats.

I've probably got a couple of spare captive nuts for you if you need them.

pm me.

chris 417 mi

sorry should of clarified, i mean the engine subframe :rolleyes:

Edited by chris 417 mi

SurGie

Any chance of pic's of these captive bolts for engine sub frame ?

IL be removing my sub frame soon and just in case it happens to me, it would be helpful.

Cheers

Edited by SurGie

Rob Turbo

Like this, but bigger (this is from the inner wing, that the battery tray bolts to)

th_Photo-0103.jpg

Toddy

Quick answer yes.

They are available in a pack of five from pug.

You may struggle to get the old one out of the chassis leg, but it doesn't matter. Feed the new captive nut through the small square hole adjacent to where the bolt inserts into the chassis leg, there is small clips to keep it in place when re-attaching the subframe.

chris 417 mi

ahh nice ;), still need to get the old one out though first.

Was thinking just cut the head of it then see if i can make it as short as possible and finally just push it ino the chassis ( hoping it doesnt get in the way of the new bolt and retainer ? )

CosKev

Does the 205 subframe bolt on different to the 309 at the front then?????? ;)

Just presumed they would be the same,but the 309 has a mount on the front of subframe. :D

th_100_2510.jpg

Anthony
Does the 205 subframe bolt on different to the 309 at the front then?????? ;)

Nope, different on a 205 - the 309 setup is better in my opinion. On the 205, you've a conventional bolt that goes through the subframe (rather than the stud like a 309) and screws into a captive nut inside the chassis leg - what can happen, as in this case, is that the captive nut breaks free and turns freely.

Simes
th_100_2510.jpg

Slightly off topic - wish I had more time to make my reshell project look like that.

CosKev
Nope, different on a 205 - the 309 setup is better in my opinion. On the 205, you've a conventional bolt that goes through the subframe (rather than the stud like a 309) and screws into a captive nut inside the chassis leg - what can happen, as in this case, is that the captive nut breaks free and turns freely.

Ah right,thought that must be the case :wub:

Slightly off topic - wish I had more time to make my reshell project look like that.

Cheers :)

My black one got wrote off,after 10 months of restoring it was on road for two months and did 2000 miles when a bus t-boned it and took out the drivers side ;)

Click my sig for my re-shell thread :)

StuF215

Does anyone know the part number for the captive nuts for the gearbox mount/battery tray and also for the subframe?

Pug themselves cant find them!

Rob Turbo

6941.81 - front subframe

6941.27 - Battery tray/gearbox mount

I could do with one or two more of the battery tray/gearbox mount ones if you're ordering some :D

RossD

The base model 205's used the same subframe mouting as the 309, where the subframe bolts to that rubber mount which itself is bolted to the chassis leg, it seems just the GTi's and some of the other XU engined models didnt use them. Odd!

StuF215
6941.81 - front subframe

6941.27 - Battery tray/gearbox mount

I could do with one or two more of the battery tray/gearbox mount ones if you're ordering some :D

Thanks Rob, im gona make the journey to pug hopefully this week, they usually let me keep any excess bolts/nuts out of the bag :D