• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart

Mapped Ignition Or Re-curved Dizzy?

wardy18

jus looked into the megasquirt and however nice it would be to have I just really can't afford that right now, I will go to bodies one day but not for a couple years yet so will upgrade the management at the time

Thanx for the tip thou, was definitely worth looking into and weighing up the options

Jus need to know which trigger wheel to go for, diameter and centre hole??

pugpete1108

cant help you with the trigger wheel mate.

if you are gonna run mj for spark you can always upgrade the ecu at a later date anyway for tb's etc iirc

where you getting your wheels from anyway? you tried here:

trigger wheels

wardy18

Ive just been looking on ebay and they about the same price but thanx for the link ill check prices when i buy

Does MS run with the same EDIS/Trigger Wheel/VR Sensor etc?! So in other words simply upgrade the MJ unit for the MS unit?!

unariciflocos

Megajolt Lite Jr. is the one you want. MJ runs with the EDIS, VR sensor and 36-1 trigger wheel, MS runs off the 60-2 teeth on the flywheel.

Regarding the trigger wheel, on the 8v engine you either weld it to the pulley at the end of the crankshaft or drill a center hole for the crank pulley bolt. On the 16v engines there are 4 bolts that hold the pulley in place on the crankshaft, so you can use those. For diameter just measure the diameter of the pulley and add 5 mm on each side, so 1 cm in total, and that will be the diameter of the trigger wheel you want.

DrSarty
Does MS run with the same EDIS/Trigger Wheel/VR Sensor etc?! So in other words simply upgrade the MJ unit for the MS unit?!

The Megasquirt (MS) is capable of running both fuel and ignition.

It will run off the standard 60-2 flywheel teeth using the standard VR/CA sensor.

You've only just mentioned this 'trick' flywheel you have. What teeth does it have on it?

If it has 60-2 (which means there is a gap of 2 teeth on a ring that has 60. as opposed to the EDIS trigger wheel which is 36-1) then the MS can just use that and the std CAS.

If you're going to go the MS route (and I agree with James R that MSII vers3 is the one you would want), you need to go and do your homework on the MS site and read a lot. It will all become clear then.

A standard MSIIv3 has one coil driver, which will trigger a wasted spark coil park (106/Corsa type etc) and is also capable of managing the fuel via injectors, although you're choosing to go the carb route rather than bodies. The latter will give you even more control, a better map/set-up and better driveability, because it's all tuneable.

The MSIIv3 can also run WB O2 (lambda), MAP, IAT, CTS and TPS.

In principle MSIIv3 is very good, and you will learn a lot, but it's very easy to go wrong and for costs to mount up, especially if you build it yourself.

What I'm getting towards is saying that fully controllable, mappable ignition and fuel is the best way to go but it's not cheap. I am not convinced that this is something you really can do 'on a budget', especially if someone who knows what they're doing maps it for you.

So to go back to your original question, in order of cost and reward (low to high for both) is:

1) your recurved dizzy

2) ign only management i.e. Megajolt (plus all of the bits you need like trigger wheel, VR sensor, EDIS/coil pack system and perhaps help (cost) mapping - you can still run your carbs here

2.5) MSIIv3 running just the ignition - no EDIS & add-on trigger wheel required here - not sure if this is poss but I guess it is, and you stay with carbs

3) full management (which means losing the carbs) via MSIIv3 or KMS or other aftermarket ECU and adding ITBS

So I suppose the difference is from about £100 IIRC to £1000-£1,500 incl mapping depending on ECU chosen.

wardy18

Thanx for the replies, i cant see myself going for TB's anytime soon so i think my best choice with budget in mind is the MJ, if i do ever go for TB's in the future then at least i can then sell the carbs and the whole MJ system (inc all parts) as a whole package for someone to fit and go and hopefully get some good money for a whole setup!! Or even it would be nice to have a whole Carb/Ign Management Setup as a back up for another road car project in the future or something!!

With regards to the Flywheel, i have no idea what Tooth figure it has or if it even misses some teeth, i will have to have a count and see just so i know for future reference

Will measure up my crank pulley too to find out what size Trigger Wheel i need, the shopping list is almost complete, just need a VR Sensor now!!

pug_ham
With regards to the Flywheel, i have no idea what Tooth figure it has or if it even misses some teeth, i will have to have a count and see just so i know for future reference

The teeth we are talking about for the 60-2 flywheel are on the outside of the flywheel next to the starter teeth.

They can be seen in the picture below;

gearboxswap8.jpg

You should be able to see these through the cut out in the gearbox casing near the starter.

Graham.

wardy18

ah ok, this is just smooth on my flywheel, no 2nd set of teeth

wardy18

with regards to the maps for the mj system, do you get a standard set up for your engine and its components and then go from there on the rolling road?

stuart

Well thought I'd bring this thread up again seeing as I'm now wondering the same thing as above.

I missed all the posts since I last looked! They've answered a lot of my questions though so thanks for hijacking B)

I'll hopefully be acquiring a Megajolt setup sometime in the next couple of weeks and am wondering how I run the engine when it is first installed? Does it come with some kind of base map?

I was thinking though that I can always run the engine in for a few hundred miles on the dizzy and swap it over to the MJ when I get it properly set up.

Also, another thing I was wondering about the Megajolt is do you have to use the ford ignition parts and custom leads, etc or could I use a coil pack and standard leads from peugeot / citroen XU engine? I'm thinking of it at a cost point of view really and I'm not too keen on putting ford parts on my pug either! B)

Edited by stuart