• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

Wiring In A Second Rad Fan

tidypug

Hi all, at the moment i have one an uprated kenlowe fan fitted to the back of my rad so it "sucks" air instead of the usual "push" of the original fan. I had to fit it this was as i couldn't fit it infront anymore due to the intercooler.

My problem now is that I don't think this fan is big enough to stop it from over heating, it does slow it down but doesn't stop it or cool it down so i think i need to fit a second fan.

My question is what's the best way wire in a second fan? Mounting it isn't too much of a problem as I have to move things about but the wiring is my main problem. Could I just wire a second fan into the original wiring or will this melt things? Or do i need to get hold of the wiring from a diesal 205 that had 2 fans as standard?

large

I would have a look at the rad and cooling system first. If it is all in gwo 1 fan should be able to keep it cool.

tidypug

The rad is new, the engine and all pipe work are in A1 condition. The problem I have is that due to all the anciliary rads I have infront of the main rad the fan i have fitted doesn't seem to be able to pull enough air through it. ...

DSC00618.jpg

Edited by tidypug

DrSarty

Yeah: I reckon that :rolleyes: would do it. Your rad I reckon is reduced in efficiency by 50%...at least.

Might be worth PM'ing some of the turbo or supercharged guys like Garry and see what (if any) issues they have/had or solutions found.

Maybe get a large, slimline cooling fan, i.e. larger than 11" and have it run on slow speed all the time, only going high speed when the rad thermo switch tells it.

Also the front valence panels could have cut-outs put in to get some more air in there, and also be positive that the cooling system is 100%, i.e. no air locks.

I'm sure this is easy to fix, although you must feel for your poor radiator!

Edited by DrSarty

large

I run 2 rad fans 1st is standared the second is off a swich. have you got the room for a second fan :)

welshpug

shifting those two oil coolers to the side under the headlamps (IIRC like Garry has done) will help a lot.

Tom Fenton

Is the fan snug up to the rad? If it is sat off even 1/4" it will tend to pull air from the path of least resistance (through the gap) rather than through the rad itself. Easy and free to check as a starting point.

tidypug

When the car is moving the coolant temp is spot on so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Like Dr S says it doesn't help that i've put so much infront of it.

The reason I've put everything there is because I want to keep it looking totally stock from the out side so cutting holes in the front was not on the agenda, but if I have to move things around I will.

Large - I think i can get a second fan in there I will just have to modify one of the boost pipes.

Tom- the rad is attached directly to the back of the rad using the fixing ties supplied.

Here's a pic with the bumper, valence etc attached.

006.jpg

I have been thinking about moving the reg plate and cutting some holes in the bumper as there's very little air that goes directly to the intercooler.

Tom Fenton

I'd move the oil coolers and then drop the intercooler down into the airstream personally.

Garry

The main thinking behind mine was function over aesthetics.

When at Le Mans over the weekend it was high 20's most of the time. The car did get hot, but my manual fan overide was a god send. Every time traffic stopped I just put the fan on and it will hold temp and very very slowly bring it down. I found I was getting up to 100 deg (second from last marker on the gauge).

I am interested how you plan to get a second fan in. I would like one but there is no room between the oil filter and the rad at the back and in front I don't have room between the intercooler and the rad. I currently run one puller fan on the gearbox side. I also have a Radtec rad which may be helping.

I think your best bet would be to fit a manual overide switch (pics in my build thread) as often, with the stat, the temps are very high before the high speed kicks in.

As you have said, you are fine when the car is moving, which would suggest you don't have air flow problems. Are you sure the fan is kicking into high speed?

tidypug

Garry, as I use an original sized rad I have a little more room to play with behind it. I plan to adjust / modify the boost pipe and trim the coolant pipe, then move the original fan over a bit and put the fan behind the coolant pipe.

DSC00723.jpg

If i start to get major coolant issues i'll have a re-think about the cooler arrangments

Edited by tidypug

DrSarty
DSC00723.jpg

Slightly different subject, but surely that's the worse place possible for your intake filter (right behind the rad). I know you don't have much space in there, but it's just gonna suck in hot air where it is, reducing power from the engine and making the intercooler set-up have to work even harder.

I think this could be one of several factors contributing to the whole problem. Do a few component relocations and I think you'll get improvements in several areas.