• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Repalcing A Door Skin

M@tt

the passenger door on my CTI has rust in the bottom corner and trying to treat it properly i think is going to be hard as its pretty awkward and inaccessible and unlikely to last for more than a year or 2 i would have thought and as i'm respraying the car i don't want it comig through and ruining the paintwork.. Therefore i'm thinking the easiest thing might be to replace the door skin.

Has anyone done one before and if so how hard was it?

djinuk

my friend claims that they are easy to do. im not so sure, but myself id have a look for another door.

richsmells

Not sure on a 205 but I helped my gf's dad's colleague replace one on a mini. It was a case of carefully drilling/grinding out the welds to separate the skin then weld up the new skin. Took a little while and was fiddly work trying not to bend the door.

Edited by richsmells

thirdtimelucky

Its not a hard job if you've done a few but its easy to make a mess of the new skin, specially as the 205 panels are made of tin foil :lol: Im going to do one on my gti soon. Ill start a thread so you can learn from my mistakes :huh: if your not in a rush.

Paul

steve@cornwall

would it not be easier to cut down a sound regular door?

PS I've drawn a blank so far on the hood fixing rail :lol:

M@tt

Steve i wasn't sure if cutting down a normal door was possible but i guess it might well be, might have to check that out. I've been quoted £40+vat for a new door skin which isn't too bad i thought.

No worries on that strip i need to chase Paul(205Turbo) as he might have one in his huge pile of parts

Goliath

I can do you one cheaper then that Matt, genuine pug too :D Its a GTI door skin though so you would have to cut off the excess over the top of the window, otherwise I think they are the same?

toddydal

ive fitted 100s of door skins,but nowadays we rarely fit them,me personaly i would rather fit a good 2nd hand geniune door than fit a door skin as the skin wont last even if done 100%,they are very easy to do though its just a case of grinding right a round the door edge til you see the skin spliting,grind of a few spot welds,clean up the door edge when you have the skin off,spray with weld through primer and then fit the skin by tapping the edge of the skin as neat and as flush as you can to the door,you must also put a few tacks of weld back round the door and especially where the hinges are then reseal the door job done

Emmy Seize

Possible? YES! Worthwhile? NO!

I've done dozens on cars like Minis, MGBs and Triumphs.

It is not too difficult and a good thing to do on cars where even new original items are of poor quality (anything BL/Rover).

For Peugeot 205s however, cutting down a standard second hand door is the way to go. (Unless you want to practice bodywork skills, that is.)

ALEX

I asked my local Peugeot parts supplier for a new CTi door and he says the part code is the same for any 205.

Not sure about the 5 door model though.

Tom Fenton

I'd personally find another door, skinning doors isn't especially difficult, but it is fiddly and takes time to do a good job. I'm considering painting my red car sometime in the next 12 or 18 months and will probably look for a pair of straight second hand doors, as the ones on the car aren't great.

steve@cornwall

I've been mulling over the possibility of using a cable / slider mechanism (vw type) in a cut down 3 door door to do away with the 1/4 windows and get more wind in the face! You don't fancy doing a trial run for me, do you? :rolleyes: