• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
flipperthebushkangaroo

307 Hdi 136 Help Wanted

flipperthebushkangaroo

As title i have a 307 HDI 136, recently it has started to lurch as it passes 2000rpm if accelerating smoothly,

Seems OK if you thrash it but quite a noticeable dead spot (lurch) if not,

seems the same regardless of engine temp

Any suggestions

As ever you help is greatly appreciated

Redtop

What sort of miles is on it, and when was the fuel filter last changed? I know on my old one I had a few vaccum pipes rub through and cause it to go dead, but it was consistanly down on power. What fuel do you use, the supermarket cheap stuff? Any lights on in the dash, particle filter re-generation de-pollution etc come up on the middle screen? Is it totally standard in that nobody has been in mapping at the thing?

Hilgie

as above, but might add that the EGR valve will also clog frequently and I have also had problems with the wastegate being blocked by carbon build up.

flipperthebushkangaroo
What sort of miles is on it, and when was the fuel filter last changed? I know on my old one I had a few vaccum pipes rub through and cause it to go dead, but it was consistanly down on power. What fuel do you use, the supermarket cheap stuff? Any lights on in the dash, particle filter re-generation de-pollution etc come up on the middle screen? Is it totally standard in that nobody has been in mapping at the thing?

Right well its on about 53000 miles not sure when filter was last changed (whenever service last called it up serviced on mileage not time), yes we use supermarket fuel, no warning lights at all and it is a standard car (just the daily commuter till recently)

Hilgie, is there anything i can do about the EGR valve or waste gate myself or is it a replacement job?

Thanks as ever for your quick replies

Roddie

M@tt

The EGR valve should just bolt off and then you can clean it up with some carb cleaner. It did it with mine on my MG and proabably took about an hour to do.

The other thing to do is try unplugging the MAF sensor lead (usually after the airfilter somewhere before the throttle body) and take it for a spin see if that changes anything. If it does it's probably a dodgy MAF sensor.

The torrential rain the other week killed the one on my ZT as they don't like water at all

Matt

flipperthebushkangaroo
The EGR valve should just bolt off and then you can clean it up with some carb cleaner. It did it with mine on my MG and proabably took about an hour to do.

The other thing to do is try unplugging the MAF sensor lead (usually after the airfilter somewhere before the throttle body) and take it for a spin see if that changes anything. If it does it's probably a dodgy MAF sensor.

The torrential rain the other week killed the one on my ZT as they don't like water at all

Matt

OK time to admit my lack of knowledge here, What and where is EGR valve and why do they block up regularly ? & what is the MAF sensor.

Thanks for putting up with all the daft questions :D

M@tt

EGR vale is Exhaust Gas Recirculation i think?? basically some of the exhaust gas is pumped back round into the intake and re-burnt, helps with emissions, but it gets crudded up quite a lot a with oil from breathers and the exhaust gases. It will be a metal body (like a throttle body housing but it has a wastegate on the back of it) bit like this although this is random google images pic

egr5.jpg

MAF is Mass Air Flow sensor monitors the airflow into the engine and helps with the fueling etc a dodgy one of those can upset the fuelling and so you can get flat spots etc

I think the 307 MAF sensor looks like this

9045992060840951302.png

1909755921926694254.png

flipperthebushkangaroo

Thanks for your quick replys again matt, i will have to have a look soon i fear

Roddie

welshpug

MAF is a hot-wire type of air flow meter, rather than the flap type used by the jetronic 205's.

EGR is a daft idea that clogs up engines, best off blocking it off, but unlike the older engines you can't just unplug it so a bit of fabrication is required if you want to do so.

EGR systems cause so many issues its unreal!

flipperthebushkangaroo
MAF is a hot-wire type of air flow meter, rather than the flap type used by the jetronic 205's.

EGR is a daft idea that clogs up engines, best off blocking it off, but unlike the older engines you can't just unplug it so a bit of fabrication is required if you want to do so.

EGR systems cause so many issues its unreal!

We had lots of EGR issues in the Zafira but it was under warranty so never bothered understanding it (funny how I'm interested now £'s are involved :D ), the garage said it was because we used the car for short journeys (under 10 miles) and also supermarket fuel. Is this right or just dealer standard excuses?

Will the carbon burn off after a bit of "spirited driving" or is off and clean the only way to go?

Thanks again for all your answers

Roddie

welshpug

It never burns off I'm afraid :D you could try some V-power diesel for a tankful, that usually cleans the injection system up pretty well after being run on cheap fuel, but wont affect the EGR in any way.

RossD

The EGR systems on the more modern diesels are a world apart from the older types (And with 'Older types' I mean the first HDi engines - the 2.0 90 and 110 models). They are not just an 'on' or 'off' type affair like they used to be. On the EDC16 system which the 136 HDi uses, the ECU can still trigger an error code as it can very easily work out if the valve has been blanked off by comparing flows from the MAF readings to expected flows stored in its mapping.

What I'm saying is get it looked at properly, we all agree that EGR is a bad thing, especially a malfunctioning EGR, but the days of blanking it off are unfortunatly numbered. Get it on a diagnostic system with somebody who knows what they are doing looking at the live data.

The problem you have could be any number of things, first step on these after a quick glance under the bonnet to look for obvious stuff (eg leaks from places that shouldnt be leaking!) is a code read, followed by a proper live data session. Most good independants have good diagnostic gear these days so you are not tied down to a dealer luckily.

Edited by RossD

ablister

the egr valve on your engine is down the back of the cylinder head at the gearbox side, ,good luck...

problem could be anything from blocked exhaust, egr/turbo solenoid valves, fap filter, wiring etc etc