• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AJPMIKE

Check Strap

AJPMIKE

Just replaced the check strap on my drivers door to find that the new one still makes the same horrible 'click clack' noise when opening or closing the door.I've noticed that the holes in the roll pin locators on the 'A'pillar have been elongated by wear,is this the reason my new strap still clicks?

If so,is it best to re-drill all the holes out to a larger size and fit a larger roll pin,or weld up the elongated holes and re-drill to normal size?

AJPMIKE

Sorted !-how lucky am i :ph34r: As luck would have it,the oversize worn holes in the 'a' pillar brackets were just big enough to pass an 8mm drill through,so i drilled out the roll pin hole in the check strap to the same size and used an 8mm roll pin to fit.A really lucky escape then,but i wondered just how i would of been able to drill out those brackets if i'd had to,as you couldn't have got a drill in there to do it squarely!

chrisj21

So it was the roll pin causing the clicking noise?

Mine does this so i might try a new larger roll pin and see if that solves it.

Nice one! :D

eddie bullit

you must have a minty little car if youre replacing check straps. i've got plenty of other issue to sort beforehand. I'll be doing mine in the year 2020 with the way things are going :D

AJPMIKE
So it was the roll pin causing the clicking noise?

Mine does this so i might try a new larger roll pin and see if that solves it.

Nice one! :(

It's not so much the roll pin,but the amount of slack around it due to excessive clearance in the 2 mounting bracket holes which are atached to the 'a'pillar.The check strap itself is made of a hardened steel,so it's roll pin hole doesn't wear,but the mounting brackets are just std mild steel,so they wear first and cause the problem.Any slack and it makes the horrible 'click clack' noise. Edited by AJPMIKE