• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bondo

Wheel Bolts For Alloys And Steel Wheels

bondo

1.6gti with the original 14" alloys. The matching spare was nicked years ago and was replaced with a steel 14" wheel (I think it was from a 405 as I was told it was the same size).

We have never had occasion to use the spare, but it has occurred to me that it might actually be useless, as steel wheels use different bolts?

Do I need to buy some bolts for the steelie, and if so in which way do they differ from alloy wheel ones?

In the event of an emergency would it be possible to put the spare on using the existing alloy wheel bolts, or would they be completely wrong? (too long or foul the disc etc etc)

I would appreciate some guidance before girlie sets off alone on a very long trip.

pug_ham

You'll need some of the steel wheel tapered bolts to use the spare so like tyou thought, if you did have a puncture you wouldn't be able to tighten the wheel up properly.

I have a few of them if your interested.

You might want to check the wheel & tye size also though because afaik the 405 never had a 14" wheel with the same size tyre (185-60/14) as the 205 1.6 GTI.

Graham.

Anthony

Alloy bolts are flat seat, and steelie bolts are tapered.

I've never tried, but I very much doubt that you'll be able to properly mount the steel wheel using flat seat bolts. Easiest thing to do is just grab four from the scrappy or ask on here, as they're fitted to just about any 80's or 90's Peugeot/Citroen that uses steelies.

bondo

Cheers Graham, looks like I'll need to buy some tapered jobbies then. She is going very early Friday so looks like I will need to get them from the dealers. I will check the tyre size on the spare as you suggest.

Thanks.

pug_ham

I've got some tapered wheel bolts, you have a pm.

Graham.

bondo

I've PM'd you Graham.

I have checked the tyre and it is the correct size, an unused but old Kumho. I think I had it fitted and just told them to stick on the same as it had elsewhere (only budget)

bondo

Well 4 shiny chrome wheel bolts arrived this morning for a bargain price.

Big shout out to Graham.

Top man.