• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
james_pug

Air Filter For Carbs

james_pug

hi people, had a search but couldnt find much of an answer, Basically i picked up my new 205 on saturday and its running a mi16 engine on delorto carbs with no filters on which im not very keen on, so im looking for a filter to fit my trumpets ill post a pic of the carbs, thanks

dimma119.th.jpg

Baz

K&N, ITG, Jenvey, Pipercross, etc etc all supply a couple of different styles of filters to suit.

EdCherry

mmmm wide, any pictures of the rest of the car?

james_pug
K&N, ITG, Jenvey, Pipercross, etc etc all supply a couple of different styles of filters to suit.

will sock type filters fit ok? as theres not alot of gap in between the trumpets.

mmmm wide, any pictures of the rest of the car?

yeah i dont want to fill this thread with them though, is there a section for them?

SurGie

Iv had pipercross one and was very happy with them.

With

027.jpg

Without

022.jpg

The rubbish ones i had before that did no good, also use pipercross oil to seal them as well.

042.jpg

Also they would look good with your red theme thats going on..

Edited by SurGie

hexhamstu

why where those ITG ones no good?

SurGie

To me they just felt cheap, and look cheap as well..

They are probly just as good as any other, but im fussy when it comes to my 205. <_<

M_R_205

Im using some ITG socks and there quite good, just becareful when fitting them not to tear them as there quite delicate ;)

205turbo

i use ITG filters and have found them to be quite good

MrG

I have K&N type filters on mine, quite deep to but they serve a purpose, no rampipes though on mine as yet.

post-11698-1242853738_thumb.jpg

out of curiosity surgie where do the pipes go from the filler cap? catch tank down below?

Edited by MrG

james_pug

so do you think that a piper cross one would fit inbetween these trumpets?

dimma120.jpg

SurGie

At that time before i fitted a catch tank it was facing down to the floor, after fitting catch tank i had to fit the oil breather down there as well

as the oil smell was coming in the car and smelt bad.

I didnt have the endless pipe there for long, it was like that when i brought the car..

Pipercross sell seperate socks any way, so it would be a better to get them instead, take a look on their web site.

Edited by SurGie

taylorspug

Go for the all in one Piercross filter, PX600 and get a backplate. Nice neat solution and wont sap power like socks can as you will have room in the filter for the trumpets to breathe unshrouded. I think you need to ensure you have a 20mm gap between trumpet and filter.

engine killer
so do you think that a piper cross one would fit inbetween these trumpets?

yes they will be fine.

Go for the all in one Piercross filter, PX600 and get a backplate. Nice neat solution and wont sap power like socks can as you will have room in the filter for the trumpets to breathe unshrouded. I think you need to ensure you have a 20mm gap between trumpet and filter.

i have tried fitting the PX600 there but not enough room (because my car has a/c radiator infront of the radiator). keeping that 20mm gap will be difficult. so, lower the radiator/s will give more room for longer trumper and more room/gap between trumpet and filter. unfortunately, with a/c compressor mounted infornt of the sump, lower those radiators becomes very very difficult. :)

engine killer

by the way, have you got any picture of 205 with PX600 on so that can give my brain a blink.

mattbenselin

Lower the rad out of the way like this:

100_0020-1.jpg

You will not only benefit from more space but also allow the carbs to draw in cold air not hot air that has already passed through the rad.

I think I have decided to make a stainless air box on my carbs with the trumpets inside. On the front side will then be a 45cm x 15cm K&N panel filter as these are only £35.

taylorspug
by the way, have you got any picture of 205 with PX600 on so that can give my brain a blink.

I will have in a couple of weeks, mine has quite a long inlet aswell so alot of the filter sits on top of the lowered radiator in my car. However take a look at Maxis thread for his new car, theres pics in there of a PX600 on a GTI6 205, with a lowered radiator.

As for your AC compressor/rad lowering issue, maybe look into something shorter like a BX radiator? Would be alot better lowered, as obviously you wont be drawing hot air into the bodies.

mattbenselin

This is what I'm thinking....any thoughts?

trumpets.jpg

box.jpg

filter.jpg

engine killer
I will have in a couple of weeks, mine has quite a long inlet aswell so alot of the filter sits on top of the lowered radiator in my car. However take a look at Maxis thread for his new car, theres pics in there of a PX600 on a GTI6 205, with a lowered radiator.

As for your AC compressor/rad lowering issue, maybe look into something shorter like a BX radiator? Would be alot better lowered, as obviously you wont be drawing hot air into the bodies.

thanks for your advice.

been thinking of that shorter radiator before but in here Hong Kong a small radiator will be a nightmare. we have twin fans as stock but during summer we have both of them on at high speed most of the time.

there is still way to lower it, but it will not be easy. a new bracket underneath and pull both a/c radiator and coolant radiator forward a few inches, that will give enough room to clear the a/c compressor. throw away the original fans and crowling, place two high power pull type fans behind.

Bassman

I've never personally had the pleasure of using them, but the sock filters were not recommended in PPC last month. The Editor's 5.0 V8 Capri had them and they had partially deteriorated inside and some of the foam had been ingested which had caused an issue that took some time to fault find.

Rob

MrG

if space is that tight due to the rampipes, can you not swap them for a shorter set and fit a conventional K&N type onto the carbs?

unariciflocos

I'm looking to order a Pipercross filter from Rallydesign for my bike carbs (may be using bike bodies in the near future) and I was wondering what the optimal size would be. I have a lowered radiator and the slam panel can be butchered or disposed of since I have a fiberglass bonnet held with 4 pins.

Performance wise should I go for 500 series or 600, box or dome? What dimensions are ideal and which ones will fit best?

Thanks,

Andrei

mattbenselin

Hi Andrei, I would make sure you use some velocity stacks/trumpets with any carbs. This therefore means the best way to mount it all would be to attach the filter baseplate to the carb, then attach the bodies to the base plate inside the filter. The filter then needs to cover the trumpets with at least 20mm air gap between trumpets and filter. Measure the spacing of the carbs, the length of trumpets you are using (or which come with the carbs/bodies ie R1s) and the amount of space you have to work with. Enjoy!

Spiky

i have this version, i'm on TB's but my friend has carbs with the same fitler :(

04052009736.jpg

andyjstone
hi people, had a search but couldnt find much of an answer, Basically i picked up my new 205 on saturday and its running a mi16 engine on delorto carbs with no filters on which im not very keen on, so im looking for a filter to fit my trumpets ill post a pic of the carbs, thanks

I tried both Piper X and ITG sock filters on my trumpets, but neither fitted very well and the Piper X ones broke up and got sucked into the trumpets on the track. I couldn't get a standard filter to fit as I only have 12mm clearance between the top of the trumpets and the bonnet and not much more between trumpets and slam panel.

Eventually I got ITG to make me one to fit, it has an aluminium back panel and then a filter that clips on the front. I just gave them the clearances all round and they designed and built it. Quite expensive solution, but I'm fussy about my Pug too and it is just the job!

Andy

Sign in to follow this