• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

kyepan

[engine_work] Xu9j4 Mi-16 Rebuild

kyepan

0.03-0.1 i would prefer more towards the 0.1 because it's less likely to have sealing issues.

kyepan

A quick update,

Dropped the block and liners off at paul gardias, who it turns out used to do lots of mi-16 engines for race teams, we chatted for a bit, and he told me about the 2.2 engines they used to build with bigger liners, how the blocks were modified to fit them, how they use wire in the top of the liners to get a better compression seal.. etc etc etc..

basically he knows exactly what he's doing, and has done it many times before.

So.. he's going to give me 4 thou of clearance across the board.

J

kyepan

evening,

Another quick update, it's all down to me now, just get it built.

Block and liners are back from Paul Gardias, he only had to spot face the liner seats and take a very small ammount off the deck. The new liners however were not that straight, the tops and bottoms were not that flat (i did notice some machining imperfections), "factory tolerances" so paul tells me, so he has fixed that too and given me 4 Thou all across the board. I shall get my straight edge out and do some measuring to confirm, but i expect it will be fine.

I asked him about whether all this reduction in overall height would result in cam timing being out, he said no, and then explained something about piston top being flush or just slightly above the liner. I'll check this also as i freely admit i don't quite understand why it's a good idea.

On another note, i have a reasonable space in my lounge, my housemate is a mechanic, so building the engine in the house is an option. Dad steered me away from doing it in his garage, citing cold / dirt etc. I would like to do it in the warm / clean / dry. and there is enough space for the stand quite comfortably.

Any opinions?

J

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

in the house definitely :D

Anthony

Clearly the question is has the missus moved in yet?

If not, build it in the house, no brainer. Warm, dry, and plentiful beer and refreshments in easy reach.

If so, it would be worth weighing up against how uncomfortable sleeping in the car would be in the current overnight ambient temperatures.

• Like 1

Baz

Building engines & Beer, a good idea? :P:lol:

In the house though, what's wrong with that?? :P:ph34r:

Indeed you're in safe hands with Mr Gardias, knows what he's doing, i have a Gardias Mi. :)

Paul_13

In the dining room FTW! :)

Give us a ring whenever mate, happy to help out.

Interesting about the liners, Ben had the same ones.

kyepan

Re measured everything post machining

Piston measurements are still the same, but the liners came up different

1) 82.96mm

2) 82.96mm

3) 82.955mm

4) 82.95mm

Bore measurements on the new liners, Bore gauge zeroed to 83mm on same micrometer used for pistons

Thrust face on new liners

1) 82.983mm

2) 82.986mm

3) 82.985mm

4) 82.992mm

smallest piston with smallest liner then upwards towards the larger ones

Piston 4 82.950mm liner 1 82.983mm = 0.033mm

Piston 3 82.955mm liner 3 82.985mm = 0.030mm

Piston 1 82.960mm liner 2 82.986mm = 0.026mm

Piston 2 82.960mm liner 4 82.992mm = 0.030mm

Max clearance is 0.0012 inches

Min clearance is 0.0010

So very happy, don't ask me why things are measuring differently, perhaps it's a heat thing.

Cheers

J

Paul_13

I have the piston ring compressor ready for tomorrow mate :)

kyepan

Tonight Paul and I are fitting the rings to the pistons. We haves checked the gaps on the top rings and swapped 1 and 4 top rings over to get them all near as damnit the same gap. .035 on number 4 and 0.038 on the rest. Rings done.

kyepan

Tonight was also a night of finding things that I had lost and forgotten I had... These include .

1) The flywheel bolts Anthony sold me 6 months ago

2) another gti-6 oil pump I forgot I bought.

3) And nestled wrapped in paper at the bottom of a small box, under the main bearing caps.... The piston oil spray bars.

I also re- tapped all the head and block threads over the weekend, and gave it a clean \wash again.

Still need to wash and clean the main bearing caps spray bars and a few other bits before the bottom end can go back together, sadly Saturday is the next opportunity I will get to look at it.

Cheers

J

kyepan

Just a quick update,

Cleaned and stripped the oil pump, need to inspect it. The spacer in between the pump and the pickup appears to have a special coating, which has worn away on the opposite side to the pump gears. It has also worn on the pump side, but much more regularly.

298fae7d.jpg

0e264a06.jpg

Cleaned out the oil spray bars, I didn't realise that they have a sprung loaded valve. One was completely stuck, but I managed to get it working WD40, and lots of oily crud came out when they were flushed through.

8ade1530.jpg

The build area. Assembly

Anthony

Cleaned and stripped the oil pump, need to inspect it. The spacer in between the pump and the pickup appears to have a special coating, which has worn away on the opposite side to the pump gears. It has also worn on the pump side, but much more regularly.

Is it a pattern oil pump? I don't ever recall seeing anything between the oil pump body and the pickup casting on any of the OE pumps I've stripped previously.

welshpug

not shown for the XU9 but is for the XU10J4RS, 1019 18, number only brings up the RS engine and can't see any others listed at all though haven't looked that far.

Edited by welshpug

Paul_13

Every gti6 oil pump I've taken apart has had that gasket thing.

It's an OE pump

Anthony

Ah, I hadn't spotted that it was a GTi-6 oil pump - I was assuming that it was still the original Mi16 one, hence the question as the OE ones don't have that spacer :)

kyepan

Paul sold it to me, I think it's a gti-6 one. I have a complete spare pump too that I got with the xu10 sump that is on the car now. The filter looked clean and there is no play in the pump gears itself

Paul_13

It's a GTI6 one mate :) it come out of Greigs engine.

Need a hand assembling?

kyepan

I noticed one of the spray bars is a different shape to the other three. Either it's been bent, or..... I don't know. Either way it fits ok.

0e264a06.jpg

Paul_13

The second one in from left looks bent :(

kyepan

Ah....is that an issue if it still fits though

Edited by kyepan

Paul_13

I'm surprised that fits to be honest!

It's not the end where the oil goes into it so could possibly be ok. To be honest i'd be putting up a wanted thread. Or see if engine horder Anthony has one :rolleyes:

welshpug

I missed that too :lol:

daneldridge23

YES!!!! This is crucial.

It catches many out, including me a few years back as it IS a normal assumption; but totally wrong. Number 1 is at the flywheel end, as 1-3-4-2 firing order relies on getting this numbering the correct way round.

Good luck J. Nice thread.

i missed this aswell!! nearly cost me my block!

Paul_13

2 year post resurrection! :o