• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Need Help Finding The Best Switch Live

pugpete1108

The live i was going to use turned out to be only live when switched on not when cranking (stereo or similar).

wheres the best place to get a good switch live to turn on the main relay for my ms ecu?

i figured straight from the ignition but after looking and testing i have not really come up with a conclusive descision.

under there i have two thick yellow wires, a thick red one and a brown one.

what one would be best?

pete

mattbenselin

The thick red one which goes from the brown plugs under the dash to the igntion coil, wire number 2 i think is the one you want.

pugpete1108
The thick red one which goes from the brown plugs under the dash to the igntion coil, wire number 2 i think is the one you want.

the thick red one coming from the ignition switch? i tested this and found it to be live when the key is off.

or ignore the ignition and find wire two from the brown plug?

mattbenselin

Wire 2 which is red and runs from the key switch to one of the brown plugs and onto the coil. Tap into it at the plugs under the dash and that should be fine.

pugpete1108
Wire 2 which is red and runs from the key switch to one of the brown plugs and onto the coil. Tap into it at the plugs under the dash and that should be fine.

right i get it now, but as i said mine is permanently live on the red wire??? and as i dont have a coil i can trace it

should it be always live?

jackherer

an '87 wont have the under dash multiplugs the later cars have, I don't recall much more than that but you can probably figure it out by finding the wire that goes to the tachymetric relay (under the bonnet in a black box in early cars IIRC) back to the dash.

edit: I just saw that you have a gti6, so all bets are off really, it depends how its been wired in the past.

Edited by jackherer

pugpete1108
an '87 wont have the under dash multiplugs the later cars have, I don't recall much more than that but you can probably figure it out by finding the wire that goes to the tachymetric relay (under the bonnet in a black box in early cars IIRC) back to the dash.

edit: I just saw that you have a gti6, so all bets are off really, it depends how its been wired in the past.

i have still got the tachy relay in place as i wasnt really sure what it did :lol:

so i could still do that, any idea what wire is switched at the relay?

just checked the haynes and it looks like wire 2 (if i can find it) goes from the dash to the coil and then from the coil on to the tachy which is wire 112a so if i have removed the coil i doubt the wire will still be going to the tachy anyway.

back to the drawing board then

Edited by pugpete1108

jackherer

sorry thats all I remember, I've only wired an Mi16 into a phase one once and it was 7 or 8 years ago!

pugpete1108
sorry thats all I remember, I've only wired an Mi16 into a phase one once and it was 7 or 8 years ago!

no worries cheers anywho.

i'm thinking i might just create my own switch live, trouble is i might well forget to switch it off when i get out of the car

welshpug

Depends how early in 87 the car is, I've fitted an Mi into a mid 87 E reg car and that had a single 6 pin brown plug near the steering column, and the tachy relay was next to the ecu, where is it on your car Pete?

I think where you've got a bit confused is that the wire colours attached to the ignition barrel change once they reach the 2 large plugs that are clipped to the right hand side of the dash.

Wire 2 comes from the fusebox at plug E pin 1 to the engine bay, its shown as +AC from the ignition switch to the fusebox Plug BA pin 4

I know Pugtorque has posted up a picture diagram of the fusebox with the plug colours and markings if you haven't got a Haynes manual, (its Fig 12.7, page 231 of my 1993 printed manual

that should give you enough to find where it is on your car, do bear in mind its a pug and may be different :lol:

Edited by welshpug

wracing

ive got a toggle on the dash switching the brown wire from the distribution box at the front of the car, with a red light so i dont forget, works a treat!!

welshpug
ive got a toggle on the dash switching the brown wire from the distribution box at the front of the car, with a red light so i dont forget, works a treat!!

I hope that's going through a hefty relay!!!

wracing

well to be honest its not atm, its going through a 25a toggle

all its driving is the mega squirt unit, injectors, lambda sensor, well under 25a

the fuel pump is on another toggle 25a.

really your right i should relay it, no heavy currents behind the dash and all, but hasnt been a problem so far

pugpete1108

all i need is a low current switch to turn on the fuel, main and fan relays could i then get away with a dash switch (with a light or similar to remind me its on).

could be a lot easier

welshpug

why bother with a switch when you've got a nicely packaged Key switch with a wiring system attached already ?

pugpete1108
why bother with a switch when you've got a nicely packaged Key switch with a wiring system attached already ?

lazy i guess? :D

will have another look at it and see