• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

General Queries On Rebuilding Engines

djinuk

Just general questions really on engine rebuilds. The engine in question is a renault 5 gt turbo pushrod engine which is lacking oil pressure even after refurbing the pump. Now i have never rebuilt an engine however these seem fairly simple so im going to give it a go. My question is do you always replace the pistons/rings and liners, or is this subject to scoring of the liner after the engines been stripped down. And with regards to the crank and bearings, do you only have the crank reground if it shows scoring of the bearings. If not is it a case of simply remove and refit with new standard bearings. ? these may seem really simple questions but like i say its all new to me and all help is appreciated.

richsmells

Get the crank measured by an engine builder/machine shop. If it needs any machining, they should advise which bearings to use.

They may just polish it to tidy up the journals. Use some plasti-gauges when you're re-fitting the crank <_<

djinuk

ah ok, so either way you say take the crank to a machine shop and see what they say as im guessing they can measure them all up etc. Ill need to get them to fit the pistons anyway as they are interference fit. Now i just need to see where the local machine shop is.

djinuk

oh furhter more whats plasti gauges and how are they used?

Sandy

It's a plastic thread that you place on the journal/bearing to dry assemble, so it crushes and indicates the clearance by how much it's crushed.

djinuk

ah that makes perfect sence, so ideally im guessing theres a clearance that id be trying to achieve and also the clearance should be the same across all 4 bearings.