• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bizket205dimma

205 1.9 Gti With Tt Conversion Wont Idle

bizket205dimma

hi all i need some help my 205 wont idle if i have my foot on the throttle it will rev but as soon as i lift off it die's cuts out ect...

when i try to drive it it seems to pop and splutters

i think its the AirFlowMiter but ime probley wrong ive checked the wireing to it and all seems fine.

is there any outher way to tell if its packed up?

bizket205dimma

just took spark plugs out and there black realy black

dcc

check the ECU temp sensor, not sure where it is on this engine though, on a 8v its under the SAD housing on the side of the head, blue plug IIRC.

bizket205dimma

this might be a stupid question but what dose sad mean?

thanks 4 the info though

dcc

Supplimentary air device - afaik, it lets the engine idle :D

matty_gti
check the ECU temp sensor, not sure where it is on this engine though, on a 8v its under the SAD housing on the side of the head, blue plug IIRC.

Depending on age it might be there or on the back of the T.stat housing.

Grim.Badger

Sounds more like the AFM as a dead ECU temp sensor shouldn't make it overfuel that badly (of course if you have a 5 injector setup that may not be true :ph34r: ) or possibly a fault with the ECU or injectors (unlikely imo)

The SAD lets extra metered air in when the engine is cold, think of it as an air choke. The ECU temp sensor is a blue Bosch type plug either around the back of the head or below the dizzy: the SAD has an identicle black bosch type plug.

The easiest way of checking the AFM is to swap for a known working one

bizket205dimma

right ive had the sad off the throttle boddie ect cleand it all out put it all back on and nouthing still starts then dies again then i took the afm plug off an it just cranks dose nouthing put it back on it starts then dies

i fiddled about behind the engine carnt find the sad? but found a wire off shoved it back in where i could feel and the car starts every time where as befor i had to turn the key like 6 times befor it would turn over but now it will start then idle jumps t to 2000rpm then dies i can post a video of what happens if that would help dignose the problam????

its doing me head in just replaced the starter alternator dizzy coil ect could it be the leads as i never changed them ordered a set but wrong ones came.

just did all that taxed then i was out in it 1 of the warter pipes came off so had to fix that in macdonalds car park and its had this problam ever since

bizket205dimma

right this is buggin me after searching the engine 4 things that might be wrong i found a pipe that comes off the round thing on the bottom of the dizzy is this a vacume pipe is it off the throttle bodie?

bizket205dimma

ah the vacume advance unit pipe where should thid be?

bizket205dimma

i found this info same problam as me would this info be right?

firstly the missfire you speak of during full acceleration will be from an incorrect or faulty hall sender (amp module) located on an aluminium plate bellow the coil on a pre 90 model or if the coil is mounted to the inlet manifold the module is located on the drivers side suspension turret just behind the cam belt cover. As for the lack of idle from cold, this is indeed a fault with the ecu supply to the SAD device. What has happened in your case is by reconecting this device you will find the car idles at 2000rpm when hot, this is because the device has no voltage supply to reduce the amount of supplied air to the engine as it warms up, you then turned the idle control screw in to compensate for this. what happens now is when you start the car from cold the SAD devise delievers the correct amount of air for a cold engine but because you have screwed in the idle screw so much it has counteracted the extra air supplied by the SAD device which is needed when the engine is cold. An inexpensive fix for this is to pull up the rear seat prise up the plastic fuel pump cover to access the petrol tank, then splice a wire from the fuel pump supply (white wire) and run this wire to the front or the car through the bulk head and to the SAD devise. Cut both wires to the SAD devise and connect the new wire to one of the wires on the SAD device and connect the other wire straight to vehicle ground or negative on the battery. then wind the idle screw out enough that it will idle when cold, once warm turn the idle screw back in till the car idles at 1000rpm and hey presto! job done at a cost of some wire and terminal blocks.

Sign in to follow this