• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Joshy

Carb Tuning For Better Mpg?

Joshy

Hey there guys

I'm currently giving selling my 205 XS serious consideration, mostly down to the fuel economy I've been getting around town.

Yes, I know it is a girle reason, but I racked up 14.89 MPG on my last tank of Fuel - I sort of expected more when I bought a 1360cc 205 :D.

My car has apparently had it's Carb rebuilt last year, and has been fitted with a 4 - 2 -1 manifold and 1.3 Euro Rallye Cam if that makes a massive difference.

The car emits a burnt fuel smell quite a lot and hates fully choke (causes it to stutter and cut out, regardless of engine temp) if that helps to point out what the issue could be?

Please help

Thanks

Josh

Sandy

Something's clearly wrong, you should be getting around 40mpg from the XS. Get it to a good tuner.

johnnyboy666

or give it to me :D

Joshy
Something's clearly wrong, you should be getting around 40mpg from the XS. Get it to a good tuner.

40mpg? That would be something!

Is there anything I can do to it at home. I had a look for the mixture screw in hopes of having a play about with it, but couldn't find it :D.

Joshy

Bump - Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm starting to have serious mixed feelings about the car - Part of me says keep, put some money into the suspension and brakes and use it for weekend hooning/trackdays, another part says sell it and buy something that can be used for work AND play and another part says buy a dark coloured 1.6 GTi, swap over the interior and wheels and break the rest :lol:.

Car ownership is hard :)

RossD

The Rallye cam wont be helping matters - but you should still be seeing more MPG. I used to get 42mpg out of mine when it was a 1.4, so Sandy is quite correct.

Check the ignition timing, get the mixtures checked on an exhaust analyser (CO should be about 1.5% on tickover). Check the cam timing is correct, the air filter is clean and the brakes are not binding (Jack it up and spin the wheels). When was the last time the oil was changed? Might be worth doing that too.

Get yourself a Haynes manual as a first step, that should guide you through most of these jobs, including finding the mixture screw on the carb.

AndyJ

As you look at it from the front of the car, the mixture screw is recessed on the rear side of the bottom plate of the carb, next to the rear-left mounting stud. Theres plenty of info floating around on how to set it up correctly, but a gas analyser will be a godsend if you can get hold of one :)

Could it be that whoever rebuilt the carb has fitted bigger jets for "maximum powaaaa"?