• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Flaccid Trolley Jack

Bassman

Hello,

My JCB trolley jack seems to lower over time with or without load.

It will lift the car fine and I can place the axle stands to support the car, but I usually leave the jack under as well as a backup, but I have noticed it will lower after a couple of hours.

I managed to find the manual and topped up the oil (it was a bit low) and did various things it suggested to bleed out the air by removing the oil bung and pumping the handle etc, but it still seems to lower over time.

Any suggestions?

Have I knackered it letting it run low on oil perhaps, although it always seems to lift with no complaints?

Rob

Ryan

I though most hydraulic jacks gradually lowered over time. Just that some do it faster than others.

My Clarke jack does it too - although it's a cheap piece of crap, so if it's not supposed to then that wouldn't surprise me.

welshpug

Quite likely a seal kit will stop it doing so, my 6 year old Clarke 1.5t jack doesn't do it and its been hammered!

Bassman
Quite likely a seal kit will stop it doing so, my 6 year old Clarke 1.5t jack doesn't do it and its been hammered!

Oh ok, when I get back to the UK I will see if I can pull it apart and see if there are any obvious seals that I can replace.

I wasn't sure if these were serviceable as it was only about 30quid from Halfrauds, but perhaps they can be.

Rob

xxvickyxx

I found its easier to just buy another cheap one

JeffR

I've just had my 50 year old Bradbury trolley jack reconditioned because of the same problem-I'd jack the car up, go & have lunch & an hour later the car would be on the ground again!

Is there any telltale leaks from yours indicating likely seal failure?

I'd take Welshpugs' advise & get a repair kit for it, or pick up a new cheapie.

Good Luck.

Edited by JeffR

Rippthrough

They all do it somewhat, I flushed the fluid out in mine and replaced it with a 10w damper oil, much better.

pug_ham

I had a Clarke on that did this & lost oil within its 12 month warranty so I took it back to ask about a warranty claim but the branch of Machine Mart I got it from said once it was reconditioned I'd only get the remaining time of the original 12 month warranty with it so I asked if I could return it for a refund instead.

They said I could so I did & bought a draper one & thats still good nearly ten years later. :D

Graham.

jackherer
They all do it somewhat, I flushed the fluid out in mine and replaced it with a 10w damper oil, much better.

I filled mine with some Citroen LHM hydraulic fluid I had in the garage, it worked very well compared to Halfords jack oil.

GeorgeXS

My 70's jack is filled with automatic transmission oil, works a treat!!