• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest holty

1.9 Smoking Whats Best Option?

Guest holty

hi all as the post sugests, i took my 1.9 pug on the rollers a couple of weeks ago apparently timming was out a mile . and i also put new afm on.when at high revs blue smoke was bellowing out,never really noticed on the road but only till i was behind my mate who was driving it the other day, i did.best i could get was 113bhp on rollers and asked the guy what the smoke was about, he sugested piston rings or low possibility oil stem seals.if so what would be the best route. id like to keep origional engine (63000 M) so if redoing the engine whats the best option to go down.ps the garage guy said proberbly due to the timing being out it could of caused piston ring ware. any help appreciated thanks.

EdCherry

Blue smoke to me suggests headgasket failure, is it using any oil/water?

Either way to get a set of oil steam seals done easily its a head off job. While your at it you would replace the headgasket as a mater of course.

Doubt it would be piston rings but you could try a leak down test to verify if it was.

Guest holty

id say its definetly burning oil, water seems ok.would say power wise not that bad though. just at high revs, you can smell it burning oil. though the 3" tail pipe wont prob help. id say about 5000rpm it starts smoking at stand still.anyone know a rough idea how much for rings headgasket and stem seals done thanks.

DjB

Any form of internal rebuilding well get costly unless you have a go yourself.

What I would do is figure what your problems are first. Sort your timing. Figure out if your are running rich or lean (can be done by pulling a sparkplug out, white at the electrode end is lean and black is rich). Sort that out and then as Edcherry said, get someone to do a leakdown test on your engine and this will determine which part of your engine needs attention. Valve stem seals is very much a head of operation due to the fact that the valves are removed from the head. While the head is of the motor it not such a bad idea to have some work done if you can afford it. If your valves need recutting you could have this doe while they are out of the head, new timing belt, water pump, head gasket. All the preventitive stuff to keep your engine running sweet.

All of this speculation at this stage though, get someone reliable to have a thorough look over it and go from there. Admittedly, I am in Australia but I do know 2 people here thave had head rebuilds and the prices have varied from $900 - $2500AUSD. I have driven both cars and the both pull better mine (stock motor with a health head but no rebuild).

Chris

steve@cornwall

First thing I'd check is the breather system - is it pressurising and dumping excess oil straight in the inlet tract? Take the throttle body off and see how much oil is in the bottom of the plenum. When was the oil last changed? does the oil smell of fuel?

Guest holty

hi steve wouldnt know were to start let alone take the throttle body appart.oil was last changed when i got it about 6 month ago dont know what the mechanic used though what would be the best oil. thanks

2-Pugs

If you can get hold of a compression tester, do a compression test. That should rule the piston rings in or out.

Sign in to follow this