• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dommorton

[body_work] Rusted B Pillar To Sill

dommorton

The bottom of my OSR Quarter panel has been looking a bit worse for wear for some time now. I've avoided digging to much at it as it seemed quite solid. However I poked at a crack I found at the base of the B Pillar today and found it to be quite rusty down there.

The car has had a replacement quarter at some point in it's checkered past and obviously the repair wasn't quite up to the Peugeot standards regards rust prevention.

What's the simplest and most effective fix for this? can you get a lower quarter repair panel from anywhere that includes the door shut area shown?

I'm guessing my plan of attack will be something along the lines of remove sealer between sill and quarter to fully assess damage. If required (I'm sure it will be) stitch on lower quarter repair panel and join to the top of the sill (is this joined inside the car?) If a panel isn't available I guess I'll have to fabricate something. The quarter is quite flat so should be quite easy but the bottom of the pillar looks a bit more fiddly. Also do I need to consider the Fuel tank? is it very close to this area?

I did a quick search and the only thread I found on this had expired picture links, so if anyone has done this repair successfully and cares to share I would be grateful of any advise.

IMG_0086.jpg

EdCherry

One of mine has the same problems dom, im buying a new sill/quarter panel replacement patch and when it goes into the bodyshop it will be repaired.

If you want I can get you the contact details of the guy whos going to do the work for me, hes in melksham I believe.

DamirGTI

Easy and straight forward job if you're keen with welding B) .. i did similar repair on my car :

IMG_9454-1.jpg

IMG_9455-1.jpg

IMG_9462-2.jpg

IMG_9565-1-1.jpg

... more pics and info in my "iron oxide" project :lol: : http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...97351&st=70

(but beware cos there a lot of horror pics B))

Damir :)

dommorton

Awesome and helpful pics thanks.

I am a handy welder and my step father has a wrought iron workshop so is also a bit of a weld master.

That repair patch looks perfectly acceptable to me and will probably do the job nicely on mine.

dommorton
One of mine has the same problems dom, im buying a new sill/quarter panel replacement patch and when it goes into the bodyshop it will be repaired.

Hi Ed

Do you know if these panels actually exist? if so I expect they'll be so cheap it won't be worth the bother of patching.

EdCherry

Yer I believe they do the bottom of the rear quarter (from behind the trim downwards) and the sill... made by hadrian panels I think.

http://www.perfectpanels.co.uk/

Im just paying for the work not actually getting involved with the parts.

dommorton
Yer I believe they do the bottom of the rear quarter (from behind the trim downwards) and the sill... made by hadrian panels I think.

http://www.perfectpanels.co.uk/

Im just paying for the work not actually getting involved with the parts.

Can't see one listed there?

EdCherry

Mmm might have to phone them dont think they have the entire catalog online.

dommorton
Mmm might have to phone them dont think they have the entire catalog online.

Ok cool might try autopanels in Swindon then.

Oh and Damir man that is some serious body repair!! I think I would give up long before mine is that rotten

Edited by dommorton

hoody_g

Try a scrap yard or find someone on hear breaking a 205 and cut that section out weld it in job done. Saves having to form metal into a tricky shape and time.

dommorton

Good advice if I can locate a good one in time thanks.

Oh and it seems no repair panels available. They do Sills, Arches for non-GTI's, and whole rear quarters but not patches of any of these. Rear quarter is £70+ Vat

shalmaneser

I've not really done any bodywork to speak of but wouldn't patches be a lot easier and cheaper? especially if your old man is handy with the welder....

dommorton
I've not really done any bodywork to speak of but wouldn't patches be a lot easier and cheaper? especially if your old man is handy with the welder....

Would have been nice to have the panel as it's pre-shapped. They are usually so cheap it's not worth the effort fabricating and it makes for a neater job.

Attacked it tonight with the grinder to assess the damage. Needs the rot cutting away at the B Pillar much the same as Damir's one as the quarter repair was obviously joined with a combo of crap welds and filler :D

Bottom of the quarter isn't too bad and only needs a small patch repair. I have ground out the rest of the blisters and have treated it with Jenolite.

The other side has come detached too so will need stitching back on. Took the opportunity to clean up and straighten out the jacking points too as they were a right mess.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

dommorton

Made some good progress today.

Chopped out the rotten bits and plated in some nice fresh metal. Joined in a piece all along the top of the sill and spliced it into the quarter. Then carefully rebuilt the corner in the door shut with little pieces stitched together as per Damir's repair.

Here's some shots with a light coat of filler applied just to smooth out the welded edges. All plates were seam welded right round for strength.

Hopefully finish off the filling and painting tomorrow if the weather improves.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

dommorton

Got a bit more done today between downpours :)

Finished off filling and rubbing down and gave it all a nice coating of Zinc Primer.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

I've now also painted the Sills + Jacking Points with hammered finish Hammerite to give a near standard finish, but also a nice bit of rust protection. All that remains to do is fill the gap between the Quarter and the Sill with some Tiger Seal and spray over the whole lot with some nice shiny Gloss Black B)

Edited by dommorton

dommorton

All fixed ;)

IMG_0103.jpg

EdCherry

looks very nice dom, nice job you've done.

dommorton

Not bad considering my state of hungoverness ;)