• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Machining Hubs For Brembos

Rob Turbo

I'm going to be fitting brembos to my 205 when I start putting it back together, I'll be using xantia v6 288mm disks, which don't sit central in the caliper, I've read that the disk needs 1.25mm machining off the back of it where it mates with the hub.

But I have my hubs in bits at the minute to replace the bearings so was thinking it would be easier to machine 1.25mm off the face of the hub, the added bonus of this would be that it would be the only time I need to machine anything and it will make the xantia disks a direct fit when I come to replace them.

The question is, is this safe to do, or will removing 1.25mm make the hub too weak?

pugdamo
I'm going to be fitting brembos to my 205 when I start putting it back together, I'll be using xantia v6 288mm disks, which don't sit central in the caliper, I've read that the disk needs 1.25mm machining off the back of it where it mates with the hub.

But I have my hubs in bits at the minute to replace the bearings so was thinking it would be easier to machine 1.25mm off the face of the hub, the added bonus of this would be that it would be the only time I need to machine anything and it will make the xantia disks a direct fit when I come to replace them.

The question is, is this safe to do, or will removing 1.25mm make the hub too weak?

Iv never done either but i would have thought it would be better to machine 1.25mm off the hub than the disc as the hub is thicker than a disc to start off with,and as you say it will make the discs a direct replacement in the future. I stand to be corrected though

James_R

I had brembos on with Xantia discs no machining :s I thought that was the point of using them

Rob Turbo

They do fit straight on but the disk doesn't sit central in the caliper, it's not far off (1.25mm infact! ;) ) I'm not sure if it will make any difference at all and TBH I can't remember who it was that said the disk needed machining!

Cloverleaf

So long as it doesn't hit on the caliper I wouldn't machine anything. I don't see how not sitting exactly in the middle will make any difference. With the toleance on production set-ups the disc will never sit 'exactly' in the centre anyway but there will be enough clearance for it to always fit at worst case (if it's been designed properly!) ;)

EdCherry

It wont make much difference at all rob, if you really gonna be fussy about it id try it on a hub but think id just leave it slightly offset.

M_R_205

Id shim one of the pads out by 1.25 mm, i wouldnt do the hub as you will have a 1.25mm gap between the bearing and circlip which means you could get some movment, unlikely, but possible...

AdamP

Machine the hub and you won't be able to go back to a standard / different setup without changing the hubs..... just a thought!

welshpug
Machine the hub and you won't be able to go back to a standard / different setup without changing the hubs..... just a thought!

you would, you'd have to fit 1.25mm spacer between the caliper and the hub where it bolts on.

Rob Turbo
Id shim one of the pads out by 1.25 mm, i wouldnt do the hub as you will have a 1.25mm gap between the bearing and circlip which means you could get some movment, unlikely, but possible...

I think you must have misunderstood, I'd be taking matereal off the face of the hub, where the disk and wheel bolts to, it will have nothing to do with how the bearing fits.

jimistdt

Is this a standard 1.6 hub? The hub face itself is only about 5mm (If that) My concern would be that you'd be decreasing the thickness by 25%, which seems alot to me, I can't back it up with Mechanics of Materials or anything but I'm sure that Rippthrough and a few others on here are.

Rob Turbo

They are 1.9 hubs, they are more than 5mm thick and there's extra material on the back of the hub for the bolts to screw into.

jimbean

it will be fine rob...

i did it shaving the disk ...

but there is enough metal on there for it to be strong enough and when the wheel nuts/ hub nut it will be all tight enough

look how thick the discs to hub face are... and the pressures they are put through

i would say go for it

Cloverleaf

If the discs dont hit the caliper I still don't see the point. :lol:

ablister

i had my discs machined as i noticed it never sat central in the caliper. Nothing wrong with machining the discs as there is plenty of material there.

I thought of getting hub machined like you but wanted the hub std incase i didn't like the brembos (which i never, running 307 setup now!)

Rob Turbo

Well I'm gonna go for it!

I suppose if I don't get on with brembos I could get new hubs and sell the machined ones with the brakes!

jimbean
Well I'm gonna go for it!

I suppose if I don't get on with brembos I could get new hubs and sell the machined ones with the brakes!

or just make up a spacer and hold it in place with the second disk screw

i had the brembos on my 205 and later on my last 306 they were s*it hot but i just got sick of the noise

after trying all the tricks in the book the constant squeel just got anoying

hopefully you will have more look with them

Sam

Either that or just run 307 2.0 or 206 GTI180 discs. I never had a problem with that setup although people "say" it's not ideal.

B1ack_Mi16

You could also possibly macine 1.25mm off the mounting lugs on the carrier, which would space calipers 1.25mm forward.

I'm using the 283x26mm ones myself though and it's just fine.

Rob Turbo

I machined the hubs today so there's no going back now!