• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tidypug

What Tyres Are The Best For 'enthusiastic' Driving

Guest tidypug

Hi all

I have a 1.6 205 gti. I'm running a set of 15's with 195, 50, goodyear ventura's. The tyres are a little thin on the tread size, so i'm looking to but some new ones. My mate swears by toyo proxies but what do you peeps think?

cheers

tidypug :D

Eddy5

I like the Proxes but the F1s are meant to be better.

GtiMad

Always a matter of personal prefernce I think mate.

195/50/15's are all pretty cheap.

Personally, I love Yoko's. They are cheap and sticky (ahem!) and readily available. That said Toyo and Goodyear make good tyres too.

Just get the cheapest "decent" brand you can, cause none of them last long. >3000 miles if your keen. :D

Guest alileg69

Hiya im currently running Toyo Proxes T1s which were £50 a tyre and all i can say is thay they are amazing!!! i have never known a tyre make so much difference to the handling!!!!

i ran Yoko 539's before and compared to the Toyo's they are C**P. they used to slide so easily in the wet and you could make it slide in the dry without much effort!!!!!!!

i am yet to get a proper slide in the dry on the Toyo's, and in the wet, although they loose traction, they are so predictable!!!!

the only other tyre i would recomend are Eagle F1's, not tried them yet, or too sure on the price, but i think their reputation speaks for itself!!!!

other than that, you need to be looking at road legal semi slicks!! i have used the avon and yokahama, which are about £95, £70 respectively. and the price does reflect the performance!!!!

hope this helps

ali

P.S. Toyo!!!!!! :D

Guest alileg69

P.S i drive my Gti liks it should be driven, hard and fast!!! and my toyo's have lasted me 5000 miles and still have 3 mm left!!

ali :D:huh::o

Guest puggti

Just got 4 fresh Goodyear Eagle F1's on my 1.9 and it handles soooooo good, best £200 i ever spent except for that prost........LOL!!

GtiMad

I got a set of 4x Yoko AVS sports 195/50/15 for £120 from a show. :huh::o

i ran Yoko 539's before and compared to the Toyo's they are C**P. they used to slide so easily in the wet and you could make it slide in the dry without much effort!!!!!!!

Agreed but they are awesome in the dry and only cost £32 each :ph34r:

Toyo's are pretty special aswell.

So what are we saying then chaps? I reckon get the cheapest you can find out of Yoko AVS sports, Toyo's and F1's :D

Edited by GtiMad

Guest hd_andy

The only thing about yoko's is they wear so fast. I am trying to decide between toyos and F1's. Also why does everyone put 195/50's on the standard 15's when they came out of the factory with 185/55's.

Cheers Guys very usefull topic

GtiMad
Also why does everyone put 195/50's on the standard 15's when they came out of the factory with 185/55's.

Slightly lower profile without effecting the ride/rolling radius much. Cheaper and more readily available and that little bit wider.

Not much in it but it makes a "real world" difference, slightly sharper to turn in/change direction.

:D

Edited by GtiMad

Guest alileg69

i admitt, the yoko's were good, but they are nothing compared to how the car handles on Toyo's. the Toyo's still suprise me, i can be driving along, take a corner and think, mmmm i wouldnt have made it round there on Yoko's!!!!!

the back end used to reak away easily on the yoko's, but im still having to try with the Toyo's!!!!

i know its only my opinion, but i would never go back to Yoko's.

cheers :D

C_W

Don't touch Yokohama AVS Sports!!!! :o man they are bad tyres in the wet, like driving on ice. Dry grip is ok, but so is every tyre, and they give poor feel and they overheat too easily.

I honestly do not know where Yokohamas [good] reputation for road tyres is from. To me the name is almost faddish, Toyo too I suppose.

Basically a proper tyre manufacturer is called Goodyear or Bridgestone!!! ;)

GtiMad
Don't touch Yokohama AVS Sports!!!!  man they are bad tyres in the wet, like driving on ice. Dry grip is ok, but so is every tyre, and they give poor feel and they overheat too easily.

WTF? ;) Like driving on ice? What ? No? eh? You been drinking?

This is turning into my tyre is better than your tyre :o:D:D:D:D:D:D

C_W
WTF? :o Like driving on ice? What ? No? eh? You been drinking?

This is turning into my tyre is better than your tyre :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've got two sets of wheels; one set with a new set of AVS Sports and one with new Eagle F1s so I can make a direct comparison...and there is no comparison! :D

In the wet I can easily spin the wheels in 1st and 2nd, a couple of times in 3rd too on the AVS's but with the F1s there is hardly any at all after 1st. But that's not the worst part, its the lateral grip in the wet that makes it feel like ice.

And the cheek of it is the Yokohamas have poorer wear!!! ;)

Guest canardo

michelin pilots were very good on my xs best tyres I had but not had any performance tyres on the gti yet

would probably go with the eagles when i need some new ones

GtiMad

Hey they sound good CW. I will look out for them when I need some new tyres next, which sould only be about 15mins! :o

How much are they a corner? The Yoko's where £32.50 fitted. ;)

C_W

I paid £39.50 each including VAT and delivery and got a friend to fit them for £15.

I thought you said the £32 was for the A539?, a tyre I would class as a budget tyre :o;)

Surpisingly the F1 isn't at the top end of the price scale, looking through some websites P5000 Drago ("ok" tyres) are sometimes more expensive.

GtiMad

I got them for £120 for four and cost me £20 to fit so that's er.....£35 each, sorry I got it wrong. That's for the AVS's.

Guest Super Josh

I used to run A539's, good tyre but not good in the wet(and let's face it, it sometimes rains on our fair island) and they wear badly. Been running F1's for 6 months and they are brill in the wet and even better in the dry. The cornering speeds are awesome(although that could also be down to the Quaife ATB and SB phase 2 suspension ;) ).

Josh

[CJ]

Eagle F1 GS-D3 rules!

/Christian

Guest hux309

im surpried no-one has mentioned pirelli pzero assimetrico...

having these fitted tm after hearing good things about em

C_W
im surpried no-one has mentioned pirelli pzero assimetrico...

having these fitted tm after hearing good things about em

They're usually quite expensive those, the F1s bizzarely seem to be in the midrange prices. For example they are £39.50 at Top Gear tyres yet a Pirelli P6000 is £45 which I wouldn't say is a particularly high performance tyre.

Guest ellisg

PZero is £67 for 185/55, I didn't realise they did them that small

I replaced PZeros with F1s on other car, virtually the same price, not noticed much difference apart from F1s noisier. Garage said they are replacing PZero Assymetriccos with some other model

Guest saph

I have been using the michelin sport exhalito for the past 9 months and they still look like new. I paid 63.00 including vat a corner. After speaking to lots of so called tyre experts i went for the latest design wet tyre, see above.

So far ive done aprox 9000 on them and i still can't complain, but then again i am nice to them as i use the car to get me to and from work every day.

P.s the only fault is when they do brake away the just go but when your expecting it its o.k

P.P.s thats for a 185/55/15 profile tyre.

Sign in to follow this