• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BamBamGTI

[car_overhaul] Bam Bam's (Mi16) Refurb Project

BamBamGTI

Right, so I've have this Mi16 engine in the garage for over a year now and it decision time weather to sell it or go for it and drop it in the pug. I've finally decided to drop the lump in and make my pug as pristine as possible. I havent got a workshop yet, so I can't strip the whole car and do all the bodywork stuff I need to do, but Ive got enough room in a small garage for the engine work. After doing some research on the forum this topic caught my eye, as well as others...

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=83720

Its ambitious to get anything anywhere near this standard, but I'm the sort of person who likes do do stuff 'right first time' and I want to end up with something that I am properly proud of and I'm not scared of putting the hours in to get the right results. Having said that, although I've owned the car for 10 years this year, Ive never taken an engine apart, so I'm gonna need some help and support with this. I've been through times where I just wanted to sell up and forget it, especially when you break down on a Tolworth bleeding roundabout and have to push the car off the road in rush hour traffic.

The car is only on 97k but has suffered a cracked block (engine replaced) and I've found buts of rust that need taking care of. There are a few bits of body and paintwork needing to be sorted, and one day I wanna strip her down totally and a full rebuild... But thats another story.

Im planning on possibly a Mi16 turbo or fitting throttle bodies in the future, but for now the plan is to:

Rebuild and paint the Mi16 engine

Clean up the engine bay

Remove the factory fitted alarm

Replace or clean up all filler bottles for aluminium units

Do as much reconditioning as possible (i.e reconditioning & painting brake master cylinder ect) cause I havent got a big budget for the project

Uprated front brakes to fit with the standard 1.9 alloys (207 or 306 big brakes)?

Refurbish Alloys in Anthresite grey

Replace drivers side door

Rear beam refurb

Replace or refurb front suspension (nasty creaking noise coming from P/S Suspension strut when turning the wheel)

Replace all cooling pipes for silicone units

Retro-fit PAS system

Lightened flywheel

Fit Auto-bonnet

Any other recommendations to the engine? :blush:

My intentions of this diary is to cover in detail the full rebuild process, Im going to take as many pics as possible so anyone will be able to do this work. As the 205 has now fallen into classic status, parts and engines are going to become increasingly hard to come by and now our government has decided to impose the £2000 levy for buying new cars, sadly we are going to see less 205s on the road.

Here are some pics of the car and bits that I want to sort, as well as the Mi16 bits Ive got in the garage...

Car

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/bambamgti/001-1.jpg

BamBamGTI

Alloys need attention

003-1.jpg

Scuff on wing

003-1.jpg

Driving lights rusted - Are plastic ones available?

004-1.jpg

Damage to D/S door from some chav c**t pulling the top of the door open

006-1.jpg

Shrunken window rubbers

007-1.jpg

More of the door damage due to break in

008-1.jpg

Interior - Not too shabby

009-1.jpg

Rust in rear seat well

011.jpg

Tired looking engine & Bay

012.jpg

BamBamGTI

Alloy

005-1.jpg

s*itty moss alarm

013.jpg

Bay P/S

014.jpg

Bay D/S

015.jpg

Bottom mount

003.jpg

Pressure plate

004.jpg

Clutch

005.jpg

BamBamGTI

Engine (Flywheel end)

006.jpg

Engine top

007.jpg

Top, Manifold and bent pipe

008.jpg

Front of block and sump

009.jpg

Starter

002.jpg

Inlet manifold standard

001.jpg

BamBamGTI

Looking at what Ive got and the pics of the engine - Is there any other parts I will need?

welshpug

wiring loom, Dizzy, idle valve, afm, crank sensor.

Its certainly been standing for some time!

seeing as you're getting it rebuilt I'd get that flywheel lightened and balanced with the crank :o

welshpug

noticed some more missing bits, oil filler pot and pipework, thermostat cover/top hose take-off, temperature sensors that go in the thermostat housing.

BamBamGTI

Can I take some of the ancilleries off the 1.9 engine? I know the dizzy is different, but surely the oil filler pot and pipework is the same?

BamBamGTI

Stripping back the alloys I bought on ebay. They were sold as 'refurbished' but all the guy had done was paint over the old paint and they looked s*it. Luckily only paid £50 for 4... :lol:

Stripped back the paint and primer with some auto nitromors. Took for ages cause then I had to strip the original paint and laquer. Decided to strip all the wheels back to bare metal, fill the little nicks and repaint in steel colour.

DSC02738.jpg

BamBamGTI

The kit

DSC02736.jpg

BamBamGTI

First stage of stripping the paint done

DSC02734.jpg

...Still lots of work to do though

DSC02735.jpg

Attacked the remaining paint with:

Angle grinder with metal sanding disk

Drill with metal brush bit (to get in the little grooves on the back)

Rears full of crap and old paint now

007-2.jpg

After sanding with angle grinder

11052009209.jpg

...And the drill

12052009216.jpg

Before and after

DSC02743.jpg

BamBamGTI

After a good clean with a power washer, they were ready for filling with some regular bodywork filler. Then good wet & dry with 800, 1200 and 1500 to get the surface really smooth. I bought some filler primer and also some grey primer. This was done over two weeks as the filler needs a week to harden properly and also the primer takes a good hour to dry between coats...

First a clean with some paint prep wipes...

Then 2 coats of filler primer

0122.jpg

Then 2 coats of grey primer, and another 1500 grade w&d ready for paint

12052009210.jpg

Set up the paint shop in a small shed next to the house with all the junk chucked into the garden. Hung the wheel on the rafters by a couple of bunjee's with a bit of a cardboard tube in the middle so I can get to everything and rotate the wheel to get good coverage.

12052009211.jpg

First coat of steel (simoniz steel wheel) paint.

12052009213.jpg

and rear...

12052009214.jpg

hexhamstu

those wheels look amazing, how much does the filler primer cost and where did you get it?

BamBamGTI

Got it from Halfords... Its not the paint to make the wheels look good, its all in the preperation :wub: I was pretty happy with the paint actually, considering its only Simoniz wheels paint (£17), I was trying to get the Anthracite Grey look, but the paint was tricky to get hold of. But the Simoniz stuff looks pretty damn good... Updates to follow...

BamBamGTI

Got two coats of paint on all but one of the alloys now, I think Ill give them one last light wet&dry before the laquer coats (2)...

Decided on the rubber for the wheels and just bought some new centre caps off ebay which need painting too. Im also gonna buy some wheels nuts so I can paint them, to complete the look...

Decided on the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's. Bit dear at £100 a corner, but Ill do some shopping around.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ultra-hig...lot-exalto-pe2/

shalmaneser

Have you looked at Toyo T1R's on Ebay? Good tyres, and some great deals about ATM. I got a complete set for £120!

Edited by shalmaneser

DrSarty

Excellent write up; full of detail. And it's clear to see you're very thorough and committed.

Why do you want/need to fit an auto bonnet by the way? Yours looks fine, and 90% of the time people only fit them for cosmetic reasons. Some people do it to get strut braces and other things underneath that for some reason clear fine on some and not on others. B)

Lovely leather, but I'd say one or both of those doors need replacing due to the chav action.

And re: the door trims/rubbers/seals, Tesstuff & I were talking about this and can't see how they'd shrink. We're of the opinion that they were sh1t out of the factory and never long enough anyway. If new strips are the same from Pug, then I'm just going to add an insert to make them the right length to fit.

Keep it up.

Edited by DrSarty

Emmy Seize
Decided on the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's. Bit dear at £100 a corner, but Ill do some shopping around.

A wise decision; the best road tyres I've ever had.

Surprized to see they are even more expensive than in Germany.

I paid 97 Euros each.

BamBamGTI

Some more thoughts for the final conversion... (when I have the cash)

Re-boring the Mi16 to a 2.1 or 2.2 Litre & Larger pistons (idea from DrSarty's Pug)

Skimming the head and block

Decided on a turbo mod rather than TB's

Lowering the compression (to what?)

Piper cams

Emerald or equivalent ECU

Full mapping

BamBamGTI

Wheel refurb update

One left to do!!

Prepped with paint prep wipes

16052009220.jpg

Back painted with filler primer first x2

16052009221.jpg

Front x2

16052009222.jpg

2 coats of grey primer, then after 24 hours of drying time, wet&dryed with 1200 & 1500 for a smooth finish

20052009223.jpg

First coat of paint

20052009224.jpg

Second coat applied after 30 mins, Then time for the laquer...

20052009225.jpg

Second coat... All done!!!

20052009226.jpg

BamBamGTI

Ok, so I had a bit of spare time to play with and before starting on the Mi16 lump, I decided to do some explorative surgery on my spare 1.9 lump which has a cracked block. This engine was removed from my pug a few years ago and ive never got round to shifting it, seeing as the block is pretty much scrap I decided to have a look and a practice on it before starting on the main project.

I dont know if anyone wants any of this stuff, you can have it if you want, excuding any bits I want for the project obvoiusly. The 1.9 in the pug at the moment I want to strip after I put the Mi in and rebuild to sell or maybe put it into another car, so some of these bits might come in handy...

Ok so, here are some pics of the last two days of work.

Sump end with sump removed

018.jpg

Big end

017.jpg

Pistons removed, exploded view. Small end is left of the picture. Everything seems in pretty good nick, A small bit of scoring on a couple of the shells, Crank in good nick with no scoring at all.

007-4.jpg

Shells detailed view small end

008-3.jpg

Shells detailed view big end

009-4.jpg

Liners removed from the block. The liners were really jammed in and took a bit of persuasion to get out with a slide hammer. There is a lot of built-up crap inside the block and the liners were almost corroded in. The seats were no too bad though, if the block is repairable, I think it could be re-used. It looks like sediment to me from 15 years of water in the block.

011-2.jpg

Removed liners with crap all over them, big end was worst.

012-2.jpg

Big end liner

013-2.jpg

Inside, the liners look ok to me

014-2.jpg

cybernck

your photos are too large!

please use linked thumbnails or just links.

thanks.

BamBamGTI

OK guys, bit of an update. I have been quiet on this post, but still very busy... I decided to completely refurb the 8v from the car rather than the mi16 right now, as a turbo conversion is gonna cost a fortune and I'd rather do it over the next year and I may as well practice for it on the old lump.

I decided to run the engine standard, but refurb all the bits I can myself, as well as get the head refurbed by QEP.

Heres the list

Clean up and strip down all parts including block, gearbox and subframe

Replace all rubber hoses for silicone

Get all nuts and bolts blasted and replated in zinc. (No use painting the engine and using the old scabby bolts)

Strip and paint master cylinder and vacuum unit

Replace all loom electrical connections (Spade connectors) and replace the brown multiplug for something a bit better at keeping the water out

Replace Coil

Replace SAD

Retro fit PAS rack and pump

Replace foam from the inside of the dash to help with noise deadening (as most of the foam had disintegrated over 20 odd years)

BamBamGTI

Ok, some pics on progress...

Car in bits

th_017-2.jpg

BamBamGTI

Cockpit in bits...

All the foam behind the Blowers was gone or wasting away, got some replacement 1/4' foam off ebay £10

th_019-1.jpg

Bay in bits

th_018-2.jpg

Removed the loom connections to be reterminated, although Im having trouble tracking the M/F Spades...

Simtek cant supply them, but Im waiting to hear if they can get me an alternative.

Gonna replace the Multiplug with this...

http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/www.simtekuk.co....rch=&sought

http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/www.simtekuk.co....rch=&sought