• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Grayston Stud Conversions - Do Not Do It

wardy18

Even thou i had such a great result at the hillclimb yesterday it was almost cut short due to sub standard wheel studs and nuts from Grayston.

Ever since i fitted them i was never 100% happy and yesterday was just the peak of my disgust with them!!

First off the Sleeve nuts they supplied me for the Revolution Wheels didnt have clean threads, and i dont mean dirt which you can blow out, i mean the thread wasnt cut cleanly inside, should be easily fixed with a thread kit but still poor quality workmanship!!

Now the main problem was the studs, i put my slicks on yesterday mornin and wasnt happy with 2 of the sleeve nuts that just wouldnt go as tight as what i wanted, ensuring the other 3 were very tight i did 2 runs, then checked the 2 in question, still wouldnt go very tight and then started gettin looser!! Yep you know it, threads are knackered, after finally gettin them out with alot of effort there were no threads left!!

Luckily i had some old bolts long enough to use instead so i could run and with the red mist i broke the record lol

These studs were obviously NOT high tensile and seem to only be Mild Steel, what a bl00dy waste of money!!

Studs just seem to be ALOT of extra hassle and wasted money which i dont have

My road tires are just standard rims so i have bolts already for them so im tempted to just get some sleeve bolts made up for the Revolution Slicks!!

WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS?!?

welshpug

Use Peugeot sport ones from the Boutique in France, but they're not cheap.

wardy18

Boutique in France...........

where/whats that?! have u got a link!?

would you still say studs are the way to go or stick with bolts?!

welshpug

studs definitely for a competition vehicle IMO

http://www.peugeotsport-racingshop.com

helps if you can speak French to order the bits I've heard!

Edited by welshpug

wardy18

thanx mate, thank god they have the site in English too, i cant read French let alone speak it lol

i have a mate who runs Group A Studs on his Rally 205, he said they cost over £100, ill ask him where he got them from!!

Im still just a bit doubtful as to the life of studs which you screw in and locktite in place, especially when using poorly manufactured sleeve nuts which dont just screw on that easily!!

chownr

Andy Baker at AB Motorsport in the midlands will sort you out a proper set

welshpug

what I've managed to decipher from my Scoolboy French is

Taper Nuts 18004-01 5.90

Flat nuts 17023-00 7.46

65mm stud 17020-14 4.09

72mm stud 719703-10 4.44

79mm stud 619703 10 5.42

86mm stud 19703 - 10 5.30

Prices are in bold, in Euros, wouldn't be that expensive if the pound wasn't weak!

If AB still have stock at £100 a set that's a bargain, I doubt they'll be at that price for long as they are Pug sport ones they sell I'm led to believe.

welshpug

found them on ebay 250355878257 £127.75

djinuk

Miles can supply these i think, or at least he used to be able to.

EdCherry

Miles supplied with me with my stud and nut conversion, they are grayston I believe, and yes they arn't the best in the world but IMO for the price they will be fine. I have yet to trial them on a moving car but alot of them being secure into the hubs is making sure they are clean and well glue'd.

Anthony

Was it Grayston that supplied the stud conversion kits from the Group Buy a couple of years back?

If so, I can't say that I've had any issue at all with mine despite thousands of miles of road use, various trackdays, and wheels being removed and refitted numerous times. I wouldn't say that they're OE quality and you have to be careful not to cross-thread them, but for the £30 odd they cost I have no complaints at all.

Are you sure you didn't get a defective batch, or that prehaps you haven't been a touch hamfisted with them?

jackherer
Was it Grayston that supplied the stud conversion kits from the Group Buy a couple of years back?

Yes it was, I got two sets in the group buy that have been fine but I got another set from a local supplier a while later that were awful, they looked exactly the same but several of the stud threads stripped and some of the nuts with captive washers broke up on the studs and got stuck causing us to miss half a track day while we got them off.

Are you sure you didn't get a defective batch

I'm certain I did...

wardy18

im just not impressed with them at all, i cleaned the hub threads very well and applied lots of locktite thread lock but i think it was the state of the threads inside my sleeve nuts for the revolutions that broke the studs seal inside the hub and the fact i had to really strugglin to screw them on the stud probably span the stud within the hub!!

my first action is to try and tap the threads inside the sleve nuts with a thread kit and see if i can sort the threads out to screw onto the studs with ease, if not they goin back to Grayston with a nasty phone call and im going back to bolts!!

either way ill be on the phone to Demon Tweeks not very happy and expecting replacements from them throu grayston

Edited by wardy18

EdCherry

What kind of torque settings did you do them up to?

wardy18

well the nuts that span the threads i wouldnt have even been to get tight enough for a torque setting

what torque settin should the nuts/bolts be at for the 205's

taylorspug

Im using Grayston studs and sleeve nuts on standard 1.9 Speedlines (dont ask- long story!), and ive had no quality issues as far as the engineering goes. The studs have been fine, fit and forget really. The sleeve nuts went straight on after id drilled and reamed the wheels to suit, and in all honesty I cant fault them bar the chrome plating chipping off a couple. Im only using them on the front wheels BTW.

I have noticed they need to be torqued up quite a bit though, as one wheel managed to come loose when I went through one of West Sussexs bombhole/potholes. Id imagine the thread pitch is a little on the shallow side for this to happen, which would indicate they arent quite as well made as they could be. But you get what you pay for, and in the numbers these must be produced in they wont be perfect.

philfingers

I used grayston studs on a Westfield years ago and they were shocking quality. Didn't do any tests as such on them (I'm a mechanical engr) but you could just see. The 205 has AB Motorsport ones on it, not cheap but the quality is superb. You wouldn't compromise on tyres because they're you're contact with the road. the studs are you're mounting of the tyres to the rest of your investment.. . . . . . need i say more!

JeffR

I'll vouch for the poor quality of the Grayson stud conversion kits.

I found the closed nuts are drilled & threaded off centre & bind in the wheel recess.

They too easily want to cross thread-big thumbs down from me. I've gone back to the original studs until something better comes along.

TT205

I thought they were from Trackstore :rolleyes:

welshpug
I thought they were from Trackstore :rolleyes:

May well have been, Grayston don't sell direct and supply most places.

wardy18

I don't think its the studs that are the problem, its the Grayston revolution sleeve nuts which are terrible quality threads inside, not one of them with screw all the way on a stud without help via a rachet even when a wheel isn't involved, just simply test screwing them on!

I'm sending 4 studs with the sleeve nuts stuck solid on them and I mean I CANNOT remove them, also sending the remaining sleeve nuts for them to look at and sort out, not happy!

Grim.Badger

Sorry to take this OT a little, but can you not get studs welded in place rather than using loctite?

Back OT, definitely send them back, someone obviously isn't paying attention in the machine shop and the company needs to know, they could get into an awful lot of trouble if a set of these fail and cause a serious incident; I know they are cheap but they still legally have to be fit for purpose.

It may even be worth keeping a defective stud and sending it to your local trading standards office to be checked.

EdCherry
Sorry to take this OT a little, but can you not get studs welded in place rather than using loctite?

You can weld them if you really want to, but the glue should be enough, specially if they have to come back out at some point.

Rippthrough

Better off glueing it than trying to get a proper weld to old cast iron

Powers

I am waiting for the high tensile studs and nuts from the group buy. I have been in touch and they will be ready for sale in around 3 to 4 weeks max. I can't wait any longer!