• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Redtop

Axle, Brass Inserts

Redtop

Has anyone ever replaced the rear bearings with brass inserts? I was told that back when 305's and the likes were rife some people switched to brass inserts rather than replacing the bearings, as it would last alot longer and also put 2 grease nipples in so you could lube the axle. Thinking of doing this to my axle when it's due it's next rebuild.

BackStreetRacecars

I have been thinkin alot about this recently, but more down a composite or polymer type affair.... I have seen bearing made in polymers with lubricants included which would negate the use of grease nipples etc.... PolytetraFluoroEthylene (spelling)is a good one i believe....

Baz

Otherwise simply known as PTFE. :lol:

MerlinGTI

Im digging the phospher bronze setup, certinally sounds like theres no 'off the shelf' kits though which is a shame. The guy pugtorque used seems to have vanished :lol:

BackStreetRacecars
Otherwise simply known as PTFE. :D

we all know that.. :lol: .

I was just showing off that I paid a bit of attention in my materials lectures(in between sleeping) B)

Tom Fenton

I've considered having some bushes made a couple of times to the point of drawing them up, I suppose one of these days I should try them, phosphor bronze isn't cheap though!

Rippthrough

PTFE wouldn't be much good, even the high graphite/moly filled ones would slowly flow away under that pressure, needs to be phosphor bronze, you might get away with a self-lubricating Oilite Nylon but I'd be worried about stiction and cracking under impacts.

4 wishbones and a subframe...

Edited by Rippthrough

SurGie

I beleive that 205 parts were selling them, however they are not around any more, the owner paul, was i

think his user name was 205turbo or paul205turbo.

I wanted to get some of these but carnt so i just ant driving in the rain as much as i can once my recon 205

is sorted out.

Edited by SurGie

welshpug

I'm sure there would be some off the shelf bushes/bearings that could be used, either as a straight fit or machined down to fit.

I remember seeing some oilite bearings advertised on a bearing website and the ones that sounded about the right dimensions were pretty cheap.