• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
unariciflocos

Welding Rollcage Mounts

unariciflocos

Hi everyone,

I know most of the people on the forum are off on the Eurotrip, but I'm hoping there's someone around to help :).

I've installed this roll cage to my 205 and I want to know how the mounts need to be welded to the shell. I took it to a shop and there was an old rally driver there that said the mounts have to be welded in points 15 mm apart to allow for deformation in the case of an impact and that they only need to be welded on one side. They did a crap job with the welding (burning holes into the floor) so I can't help thinking that he was talking out of his arse because he couldn't be bothered to weld the mounts properly on all sides.

How is this done properly? What do FIA regulations say about welding the roll cage mounts? I'm going to be doing some amateur rallying and hillclimb events and I want the thing to be to spec (so they'll let me compete) and properly done so I can get out of the car on my own two feet in case of an accident.

Thanks,

Andrei

welshpug

I always thought that the feet/mounting plates needed to be seam welded, i.e welded all the way around the plate, but I couldn't find anything specific about it, it certainly doesn't make sense to not weld them continuously where possible as this would prevent the foot from ripping off the shell.

You need to get in contact with a club that runs events to see what regulations they run to, in the UK most are run to MSA (Motor Sports Association) regulations, most of their guidelines follow FIA.

unariciflocos

Thanks, I already called the shop and told them to seam weld them. The other guy said the weld would crack and split if done continuously. I only drove the car home and one of the weld points on one of the front mounts broke, so I guess he didn't know what he was talking about. And the holes he burnt in my shell :) . Hope this other shop can repair the damage.

Baz

Sounds more like the welds are sh!t with crap penetration, done properly they shouldn't break!

base-1

The mounting points should be continuously welded to the car. You can't see very well but it's the best photo I have, ignore the kid :) You can see down by the drivers side, the mount is nice and smooth all round, no 'stitch' welds.

th_107_0789.jpg