• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimbean

[engine_work] 205 Gti6

jimbean

got some good work done tonight

the ecu were removed before i had unlocked the ecu so i cracked on with the wiring....

and got the transponder wired up and she started... woo. hoo...

and now disconected it should be even better

now i have got the exhaust on and in its final position the gear linkage was too close and touched on gear selection

i tried a few different set ups but just made it worse and when it did clear... the gear lever throw was massive

so i started again and now with a very close to standard L pivot it is loads better... the one i had on at the weekend must have been off a different model as the linkages were touching untill i bent it out of the way

i will close the exhaust up tomorrow night and get some more pics of new link set up

jimbean

well...

getting close now

first start up wel well

th_205gti6vid001.jpg

and my reverse selecting sol worked a treat

th_205gti6vid002.jpg

and now got the cooling in and filled.... using a bigger rad than the 205.... think it may be out of a 309 or 405 but it was nice and cheap

205gti6vid003.jpg

and now got rose joints for the gear linkages as i like a tight gear selection and felt sloppy with my other set up

205gti6vid008.jpg

did not get anything done today but i really want it done soon.... roll on next week

Edited by jimbean

jimbean

Well it moved under its own power today

Bodged the p/s pipe for the mo to check the steering

Brakes went on yesterday

And my new inlet minus the noise plenum sounds mint

Had a few probs with the gti6 clutch cable set up but sorted it with a spacer

so droped it on its feet and we had movment only a few feet but felt good now just need to finish the wiring and put the gti6 pinacle in

can`t do much newt week as on a course in cov but i hope to get a roadtest next weekend i would hope

post-8609-1243781499_thumb.jpg

Paul_13

Good project, similar to mine.

Can i just ask what this sensor is? Havent seen it on my conversion and was wondering if i'm missing something

Thanks

Paul

whats_this.bmp

jimbean
Good project, similar to mine.

Can i just ask what this sensor is? Havent seen it on my conversion and was wondering if i'm missing something

Thanks

Paul

which sensor?

if you mean the thing on the gearbox.... it is a deisel stop solinoid modifeid to control the reverse cable pull thingey

it was just a "make" i did to get round fitting the cable

jimbean

Got to the fun part now .... finishing off the wiring

Before i started i needed to move some cars out of the way so it had its first road test round the yard and into it`s new parking spot

I am using the gti 6 engine loom plugs to retain the easy acces/removal of engine

205stuff039.jpg

I have also retained the clocks out of the gti6... 1 to keep the milage of the engine.... and 2 to sort the loss of rev counter, even though it is a easy fix with a diode loom... i thought it would be different...

205stuff053.jpg

As you can see got most of my warning lamps sorted...

Just need to fettle the oil temp on the running engine, got the oil level with ign on and can work the guage with my probe so just need to find the wire in the engine loom

Taco works

205stuff054.jpg

And finaly.... got the speedo checked... woo hoo nice morning`s work

205stuff055.jpg

looking better by the day now

got a heat proof sheeth for the loom at the bulkhead so just need to tidy the od messy bits and mount the clocks in it final position so i can do the rest of the clock wiring

205stuff034.jpg

will be fitting this right at the end to save the paint... servo is already showing signs of the paint getting hot

205stuff056.jpg

Paul_13
which sensor?

if you mean the thing on the gearbox.... it is a deisel stop solinoid modifeid to control the reverse cable pull thingey

it was just a "make" i did to get round fitting the cable

That's the sensor I was on about, interesting bodge :blink:

jimbean
That's the sensor I was on about, interesting bodge :P

Surely it can`t be a bodge.... it took me nearly two weeks to get all the parts found /made and tested :blink:

I always thought a bodge was a temporary fix left as a cure...

I have a early cable set up i can fit, but i will be encorperating this solenoid as part of my imob as i will use the reverse light as power to my start solenoid relay

I call it a "make" u call it a "bodge" :P

Edited by jimbean

jimbean

Had another productive day

Got the headlights in and working

The indicators sorted

Fan in and hooked up

205stuff068.jpg

Allso got the rockers on and pollished

i had a bit of a tidyup around the wiper linkage and lubed the pivots....

205stuff063-1.jpg

Getting close now

Bookin my new windscrean tomorrow to fit next sat

i have one more dilemma..... the last owner was quite rough removing the engine wiring/ecu and has damaged.cracked the dash.... can it be repaired? i will have to look into it

205stuff072.jpg

jimbean

..... Well as it is booked in for a mot on tuesday

I thought i might get on with the finishing few bits

P/S res secured, along with the ecu... double relay and little fuse are under ecu tray

battery is in the boot

loganandnew205014.jpg

I got all the front suspension secured and all parts tightend

All the dash is back together and 306 clocks are in, in a fashon

The filter pipe is on but no filter as such... good old sock will do, till i sort it

and now finally a pic in the sun

loganandnew205018.jpg

loganandnew205019.jpg

Now needs a right good clean but my missus can do that

getting windscreen fitted tomorrow, but at home.... so it`s first road test was without one... got a few funny looks but i don`t care really

Sounds mint and no nasty noises from running gear

There was quite a bit of oil smoke but i hope it is due to the engine been out of a rolled 306 i will see what it looks like on way to mot

And dug the 16inch nimrods out of storage they will look better when the are painted a different colour as the ar a browny grey at mo think they will be going white but i will see what a feel like

Paul_13

Were you wearing goggles? :D

jimbean
Were you wearing goggles? :(

Not quite.... it was only a mile or so away and i was going steady :P

I did get a really strange look from a guy walking his dog as i pulled out of the fuel station.... i just smiled and hollered "work in progress" out of the gaping hole....

Oh... and the chav walking with his bum buddy that asked me if i realised i had no screen just wanted a slap... i did not indulge, as i had just seen the oilly smoke

:D

Edited by jimbean

jimbean

Had another good day

Screen fitted and the missus gave her a wash off for me looks and feels loads better

205stuff073.jpg

Took her out on the road to blow the smokey cobwebs out... the oil smoke was very prominent for the first few passes

but got less and less and i hope now the run to work tomorrow will be clear

lookin forward to getting the final bits done now

Paul_13

Looks a lot better after the wash! B)

jimbean
Looks a lot better after the wash! :lol:

And even better again today with the new wheels on

Did not get the MOT done as i had too many jobs on but now it`s at work it makes it easyer

And got the side trims to remove... as i have sorted them a free paint job today

roll on july when i can get her road leagel

jimbean

Well it is getting close now

All the little finishing bits seem to take so much time but my list is getting smaller

When the engine was removed the p/s pipe was cut i i thought i would not use it, my plan changed and i was stuck with a bodged high pressure pipe, a quick trip to my local hydraulics spot got a new pipe made and fit... i now can hit full lock without blowing the pipe off...

Also not happy with the clutch yet.. it needs 1cm more travel on the padal so a cut and weld will be in order when i get it home...

pic of the wheels that will be used but center caps are silver due to a small problem when painting the wheels... the paint melted them

205stuff085.jpg

205stuff077.jpg

All the trims are off now and found some bumpers so i don`t need to disturb the car too much.. sending them to be painted the same colour as wheels

i have sorted my sticker guy to sort me a uber stripe going over the top n/s of the car also the same colour as the wheels with a red pin stripe

Really looking forward to all the bits getting back as it will look mint :wacko:

jimbean

Had a really anoying set back

On one of my roadtest`s i had a monent in 6th gear heard a crunchy whir and wheels locked up momenterily

As i slowed down to a stop and put it back in first it all was fine

On way back to work i took it steady.. all was well again even when i went into 6th

Bit strange...

got it on a ramp just to check it out

took the end cover off and checked it out 6th look fine but i could see filings in oil

bit worried now so i plowed on to find the fault i had just renewed the casing as the engine and box were out of a 306 that had a heavy front end smash and broke the box mount

I got the casing off and had a look and found the fault.... 4th had rubbed against the end of the casing... a further prod and poke and i had the culprit

the casing i had salvaged off a 406 hdi 5speed had all the same numbers on the casing and fins the same as the 6 but the bearing after 4th was about 3mm bigger.. so when on the 6 speed the shaft could vibrate at speed.... :D

and the bearing is also 3mm bigger on the internal.... bum... so tomorrow i will be making a shim to fit the smaller bearing race in the larger hole

I was so close to having it all done but quite chuffed i found the fault... and just will have to hope no damage was done

so now i have a lot of gears on my bench and a 205 that can only be pushed about :D

Paul_13

Would it not be worth buying a gearbox off 306gti6.com, they normally go for £50.

Sorry to hear about that :)

Should stick with a 1.6 box :lol:

gti-si

I've got a 6 box sat here surplus to my requirements

taylorspug
Should stick with a 1.6 box :P

Probably doesnt want a super short first gear and a super long second gear for a start!

jimbean
Would it not be worth buying a gearbox off 306gti6.com, they normally go for £50.

Sorry to hear about that :angry:

Should stick with a 1.6 box :D

I have sorted the problem the casing is at my engineers getting a sleve made to fit the bearing

I am not too worried as itg could have been worseif i had left it

And ... worst case i have a second 6 box and also a mi box to play with so i am not worried..... the milage on the box is low though so i want it to be fettled.... which i am sure it will

got a few pics of the fault which will be submitted when i get it sorted i hope

jimbean
I have sorted the problem the casing is at my engineers getting a sleve made to fit the bearing

I am not too worried as itg could have been worseif i had left it

And ... worst case i have a second 6 box and also a mi box to play with so i am not worried..... the milage on the box is low though so i want it to be fettled.... which i am sure it will

got a few pics of the fault which will be submitted when i get it sorted i hope

Had a bit of crap news.... my engineer has now told me after having the casing for two weeks, he can`t fit the slieve as it will need a shoulder on it which will in turn set the bearing race a couple of mm closer and cuf the distances of the bearings

I will now be fixing the damaged casing with the broken mount

this is the offending race

205gti6103.jpg

205gti6101.jpg

205gti6109.jpg

In the meantime i have nicked a casing off another 6 speed box i had kicking about to get the car on the road

and while it was off the road i managed to get me new seats in

205gti6117.jpg

205gti6118.jpg

brought it home tonight and it was mint no vibration from the box and good power

just need the little bits doing tomorrow and it will be good

jimbean

Well... me and the missus had a ful day out in her today

Still missing the outer trims but i could not resist

It has so much usable power.... and the noise is wicked without the plastic resonator

Had a good blat on the A172 to saltburn and really upsett a cool dude in a 350z cab as could not get past.... he made a tawt move to get past

Really pleased so far.... need bit more power though i will run for a bit as standard but want more

Only fault of the day.... clutch cable.... i have used the 306 with the stupid tensioner set up... and every so often it seems to un tension with obviouse conciquences.... if i press the clutch a few times it will re ratchet but no good so it is coming off

My only problem now is i can`t stay out of it keep making excuses to go for a blat

i even got me radio workin after a manic search for cheap speakers...

why do muppets in halfords totally disregard what you ask them? i specificly said i was tight and did not want to spend alot on said front speakers.... so when a asked the ice muppet for special offers he said no.... on the way out i caught a glimpse of the special offer/ old stock cupboard... full! of , you guessed it 13mm pi55in speakers

i notioned over to him and said what about these then... he said what about them! i got miffed and walked out.... i may be tight but was willing to buy the 39 quid units.... because he was a numpty i went to maplins and payed 14 quid for some average 13mm fronts

It is true about halfords been expensively average

Paul_13

Don't bother asking the Halfords monkeys, just help yourself they're useless.

I know I used to work there :lol:

gti-si

Haha they are, mainly, muppets who work at Halfords, the Bike Hut guy's are probably the most clued up guys in there, even when it comes to the cars. I asked them once if they could supply can's of 2k paint, where you release the hardener inside the aerosol, only to be told by their 'Paint Tech' that ALL 'our' (halfords) paint is 2k....

That was the end of that conversation. Like it's been said before, as long as you don't have to ask a question and know what you want, it's fine for getting you out of the s*it on a SUnday afernoon, bar that, utterly useless!

Good thread, enjoyed giving it a ring

Edit: I meant read, but the F1 has just come on! haha

Edited by gti-si