• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimbean

[engine_work] 205 Gti6

jimbean

getting bored of doing work on other peoples motors so i dug my rolling shell from the corner of the unit and wont be happy till she is a living breathing monster

got this 1.6 shell last sumer it was missing a few bits but not many....

the full engine loom had been removed so i was thinking about a turbo conversion.... but done one already so i was really exited when i found this

my bosses son killed his new gti6 3 days after been given it whith 27000 miles on clock

so i did the decent thing and pulled it apart and got some good bits

engine/ box/ loom/ecu/ rack/cluster

next step

engine bay... seam welded

logan184.jpg

logan182.jpg

subframe/ seam welded with a 309 gti anti roll bar

logan189.jpg

i used the gti6 rack with some 205 drum sticks to sort steering

i am using the gti6 engine mounts on both sides[

o/s was easy just a slight mod needed to screw it in

carandstuff064.jpg

n/s was mor dificult... i have made a hybrid mount using part of the 306 and part of the 205 housing

carandstuff065.jpg

carandstuff109-1.jpg

carandstuff110-1.jpg

and yes... quite chuffed with how it came out

the brake and servo has been stepped with washers to hopefully miss the rocker

suspension... koni

the alt belt was a quandry... i went with a modified version of the static idler

carandstuff108.jpg

now for engine in.... went quite smooth

carandstuff123.jpg

205gti6002.jpg

hopfully will get lots done tomorrow

welshpug

why the odd battery tray arrangement? they bolt straight in to the original 205 mounting as its jut a BE gearbox.

Edited by welshpug

jimbean
why the odd battery tray arrangement? they bolt straight in.

unless i am really stupid i could not get it in in the correct position

i may have just wanted to use the mig though

need practice..

max0

looking good jim :ph34r:

jimbean

fk me you not been on here for a while

you got the bug again?

hope to have them both done asap fella... i am bored of diesel power

max0
you got the bug again?

Deffo - Might give you a bell tomorrow if your down the unit?

jimbean

will be there in afternoon...

if i can slip away...

jimbean
why the odd battery tray arrangement? they bolt straight in to the original 205 mounting as its jut a BE gearbox.

sorry read the question again this morning without a bottle of wine in my system... :ph34r:

i find the weak point of the cast engine conversions in a 205 is the gear box mount iether killing the mount/twisting the tray/ or worse

on the gti 6 the mount is twice the diameter of the 205 but fits in different position so i drilled the spot welds and made it fit with the 205 battery tray as the top the mount has been braced and welded to be stronger

i am using as much of the gti 6 as i can and if the mount is bigger.... must be there for a reason

Edited by jimbean

calvinhorse
sorry read the question again this morning without a bottle of wine in my system... :ph34r:

i find the weak point of the cast engine conversions in a 205 is the gear box mount iether killing the mount/twisting the tray/ or worse

on the gti 6 the mount is twice the diameter of the 205 but fits in different position so i drilled the spot welds and made it fit. the mount has been braced and welded to be stronger

i am using as much of the gti 6 as i can and if the mount is bigger.... must be there for a reason

bloody hell your up early! must be keen? :excl:

jimbean

i put one of the 6 speed boxes in my last turbo project but hated the config with the turbo engine.

but the thing the really did not like was the missing gate if you do not put the reverse cable in

i will be fitting the be4/6 in this project and have come up with a novel way to combat the missing gate

carandstuff111.jpg

carandstuff121.jpg

i am using a diesel stop sol to pull the plunger up when reverse is needed

my other fun bit is the taco problem

i know it can be sorted with a loom to coils with a diode setup but i gat a cluster with the engine milage

so i did this

stuff152.jpg

stuff169.jpg

stuff175.jpg

i hope this will sort the dash out

jimbean
bloody hell your up early! must be keen? :)

got a 7 week old son fella if i sort him out this morning and let the missus have a lie in i will get lots of brownie points... :lol:

and i will be allowed to go to me unit this aft

roll on this aft.... as his next sceaming fit is about to start :lol:

welshpug

love the stop solenoid :lol:

pugpete1108
got a 7 week old son fella if i sort him out this morning and let the missus have a lie in i will get lots of brownie points... :lol:

and i will be allowed to go to me unit this aft

roll on this aft.... as his next sceaming fit is about to start :)

it dont get any better, mines 2 and he was up a half six this morning :lol: .

luckily it was the old ladys turn to get up :lol:

good job really as we were out on the raz last night

jimbean

been fairly busy today

got the cooling pipes done

205gti6025.jpg

205gti6030.jpg

205gti6035.jpg

and made a sleve to modify and enlarge top hose on rad

205gti6036.jpg

205gti6037.jpg

205gti6038.jpg

the master cylinder shaved to clear the rocker

205gti6017.jpg

and the fuel pipes matched up

205gti6032.jpg

i think the white fuel is in and green return?

not quite happy with the bottom engine mount and driveshaft angle as i have extended the fork i will have a better look at it tomorrow if i get time

djinuk

hats off to you, this is going at an alarming pace. Persoanlly im going to cut and reweld the manifold to get my gti6 in.

jimbean
hats off to you, this is going at an alarming pace. Persoanlly im going to cut and reweld the manifold to get my gti6 in.

that was my next thought but i want it running now...

if it kills the drive shaft i will go down that route at a later date

i might not get back on it tommorrow but exhaust is the next job so i will see how much more i can get playing with the fork length

djinuk

to be honest man, from what others have said the manifold angle modifying dosent seem to be a major job. Might be worth just going for it.

maxi

All credit to you with the progress here.

Just a few things I wondered:

How come you havent just used a lift up reverse cable for the gearbox? Or am I missing something? Phase 2 cars are easily converted with an earlier gearstick and the cable, hole is still there in the bulkhead.

Glad you have seam welded the bay, as the top engine mount does pull off the inner wing. However, not quite sue what the crack is with that battery tray/gearbox mount?

Secondly, I tried all the solutions with manifold clearence, extending fork, lowering engine, etc etc and the best way is to cut the exhaust manifold. I broke a couple of shafts with the modified mounts, since going back to std mounts and a modified manifold I have never had problems.

Good luck with it all mate!

Maxi

jimbean
All credit to you with the progress here.

Just a few things I wondered:

How come you havent just used a lift up reverse cable for the gearbox? Or am I missing something? Phase 2 cars are easily converted with an earlier gearstick and the cable, hole is still there in the bulkhead.

Glad you have seam welded the bay, as the top engine mount does pull off the inner wing. However, not quite sue what the crack is with that battery tray/gearbox mount?

Secondly, I tried all the solutions with manifold clearence, extending fork, lowering engine, etc etc and the best way is to cut the exhaust manifold. I broke a couple of shafts with the modified mounts, since going back to std mounts and a modified manifold I have never had problems.

Good luck with it all mate!

Maxi

in answer to your questions

as for the cable and gear lever

i like tinkering with electrics... the solinoid will also be part of my imobiliser.. i hide the switch in the cabin and run a relay powered bt the reverse light switch

it won`t start untill reverse is engaged... did this on my last 306 and it worked quite well

i have decided to cut and weld the manafold as suggested i would have sorted it today but had too much on and just ran out of time....

and for the mount.... the 205 mount/tray is quite light and had a few problems in the past with the smaller mount... the 306 is quite substantial... it`s like twice the dia of the 205 and the bottom half is quite heavy and strong it was straight forward to do and is as it was in the gti6 iff not stronger

doing the same as every one else because they say it is the way to do it is not my style i like to keep it as it was or make it better it might my stubborn nature but it keeps me happy

jimbean

finally i got back on the 205 today

got some bits done

got the manafold off and re angled it

205gti6040.jpg

205gti6044.jpg

got the engine back in and the standard fork back on

205gti6047.jpg

been looking at the angle of the drive shaft and it still has a very slight kink.. the fork could do with been shorter than standard the get the shaft perfectly straight.... i am not too worried as it is 100% better than it was and the manafold sits nice in its new position

205gti6049.jpg

while i was on i sorted out the front pipe

205gti6061.jpg

205gti6062.jpg

205gti6064.jpg

got the big jobs done so it should be plane sailing now

fuel filter in and secured with unions also sorted

205gti6059.jpg

and the altering of the fork messed with the master cyl... so modified it again

205gti6056.jpg

hope to get back down tomorrow night to get it rolling

djinuk

glad to see you reangled your manifold mate, you getting it done damn quick :) Ive still not decided how to go about doing my fuel hosing, just want to make sure whatever i do it safe.

jimbean
glad to see you reangled your manifold mate, you getting it done damn quick :) Ive still not decided how to go about doing my fuel hosing, just want to make sure whatever i do it safe.

the fuel hoses were quite good i bent the two metal pipes it the base of the bulkhead so they pointed to the o/s strut top...

then the fuel pipes tucked in quite tight to the bulkhead by the clutch cable

carandstuff118.jpg

worked quite well and cept out of way of manafold

taylorspug

Are you running a carbon cannister? IT doesnt look like it so you can take the solenoid and wiring off (the brown bit) in the fuel filter picture.

jimbean
Are you running a carbon cannister? IT doesnt look like it so you can take the solenoid and wiring off (the brown bit) in the fuel filter picture.

not running the canister no....

started on the wiring tonight.... did not get far though... to many phone calls

the sol might be going but might just keep it in that position and cut 1 of the wires further back it the loom as keeps the pipe work looking standard....if it is closed in off position it won`t need to be blocked off

jimbean

got a bit done this weekend...

but not as much as i would have liked after a road trip to liverpool yesterday to pick up a engine...

got the front struts and arms in and got her on her feet only to move it forward 10 foot

205gti6085.jpg

and i past my local scrappy and got most of the bits i was missing

205gti6077.jpg

gear linlkage

and fan cowl

205gti6079.jpg

then got down to it

sorted the gear linkage with a bit of fettling.. got the lever nicley in mid position

i have not tried my reverse solinoid but i am sure it will be fine

205gti6095.jpg

there is just a slight tweak needed to the L pivot to totaly clear the exhaust

and the front pipe got a oxy sensor boss

205gti6097.jpg

it is close to the gear set up but seems to miss at the mo

the rest of the exhaust got sorted quite quickly after chopping the front pipe down it nicley slieved over the magnex mid pipe

205gti6100.jpg

205gti6088.jpg

had her cranking on starter to get oil moving and it sounded healthy

next job is the wiring

can`t wait!!!!