• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Flatting Metallic Paint Before Lacqeuring?

pugpete1108

gotta get cracking with fixing the wifes mgf, so i have just given the wing its first coat of primer.

the colour is brg and its metallic? so will need laceuring, the question is do i need to/should i flat the paint before lacquering or leave it?

i know on normal gloss you would flat it but will this affect the finish on metallic?

also how long should i leave it before going from primer to colour? does it need to be overnight or should i just let it flash off between them?

Edited by pugpete1108

brian j
the question is do i need to/should i flat the paint before lacquering or leave it?

i know on normal gloss you would flat it but will this affect the finish on metallic?

No.

If you try to flat a metallic colour, you'll make sanding marks that will affect the finish.

Once you have sprayed your final colour coat, let it flash off and then lay a light coat of lacquer on, followed by a heavier coat.

One of the pro-sprayers on here will probably have more advice to give, but if you do a search, I'm sure it has been covered on here before.

Tom Fenton

Thats sound advice, as said flatting the metallic will affect the shading and it won't look good even when lacquered. All you need to achieve is an even coat, doesn't have to be especially thick and it won't be shiny.

pugpete1108
No.

If you try to flat a metallic colour, you'll make sanding marks that will affect the finish.

Once you have sprayed your final colour coat, let it flash off and then lay a light coat of lacquer on, followed by a heavier coat.

One of the pro-sprayers on here will probably have more advice to give, but if you do a search, I'm sure it has been covered on here before.

i had actually come to this conclusion before reading this post but cheers anyway,after getting the paint on today i looked at it and thought 'if i flat this it will get dull and no amout of lacqeur will get it shiny again'

i didnt get time today to go straight to lacqeur but i'm sure it will be ok to lacqeur tomorrow?

Stu

Looks like you're sorted, but just my two-penneth.. Ive found you get a better 'metallic' finish leaving it as it came out of the gun; then the norm is to dust on some lacquer while the base is still tacky, then i usually let them settle overnight before loading the lacquer on, gives the base time to settle.

toddydal

you only flat the basecoat if you have imperfections in it,and if you do flat it just blow a bit more base over the flat marks, if its solvent basecoat i wouldnt leave it overnight or in time the clear will probly peel away ,with solvent basecoats i woulnt leave it more than 2hrs,i know with some waterbase basecoats you can leave 24hrs but i dont see the point as once the base coats gone matt and you can tacky it off you can put the clear on,when you apply the base coat dont hammer it on as the wetter it is the longer it takes to dry if solvent base if applied right shoud be dry in 1/2 hr and thats just in a normal garage,i did a car in solvent few weeks ago in my mates garage and the basecoat was dry in 5mins

pugpete1108
you only flat the basecoat if you have imperfections in it,and if you do flat it just blow a bit more base over the flat marks, if its solvent basecoat i wouldnt leave it overnight or in time the clear will probly peel away ,with solvent basecoats i woulnt leave it more than 2hrs,i know with some waterbase basecoats you can leave 24hrs but i dont see the point as once the base coats gone matt and you can tacky it off you can put the clear on,when you apply the base coat dont hammer it on as the wetter it is the longer it takes to dry if solvent base if applied right shoud be dry in 1/2 hr and thats just in a normal garage,i did a car in solvent few weeks ago in my mates garage and the basecoat was dry in 5mins

i see,

i used solvent bases (i think) and left it overnight, i had to because i had to go to work.

i did the lacqeur today and its gone on pretty good will have to wait and see

Guest baileysufc

tbh 24 hours is ok for solvent it will still adherefine but the sooner the better tbh