• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Mi16; Which M/c So It Doesn't Touch The Cambelt Cover?

philfingers

I have alloy 1900 Mi16 correctly installed in a 1900 car, well it's installed at the right angle. It rubs the cam cover, which I just accepted until I saw someone elses at the w/e which was a shorter type and doesn't touch, quite a bit shorter. The one I have isn't the correct 21mm one but a 19mm bendix unit.

Have done a quick search but no definative answers.

It's a road rally car but the vibration is beginning to annoy me now

Phil

jackherer

Have you tried adjusting the position of the engine using the gearbox mount? That always works for me.

philfingers

shover it over as much as it will go. The one I saw the other day had loads of space in comparison. I heard about using washers on the m/c mount but it needs to seal against the servo doesn't it. Should just go and buy a bias box.. . . .. ..

jackherer

The tolerances on 205 shells are surprisingly large...

You can use washers on the pedal box where it attaches to the bulkhead rather than the master cylinder, then you just need to worry about exhaust fumes getting past the bulkhead into the cabin :lol:

C_W

I found the biggest difference to be from the height of the top mount, this alters the clearance the most IMO and they vary by 1/2". My standard mount had snapped when I first fitted the engine, so bought a new one which was really tall (you'd expect a littlebit of compression after years of use but not that much!) but also soft, so I bought a 2nd hand mount which was shorter than my original one = plenty of room.

Stu

As above, mine clears ok with a 406 non-abs unit Phil, but it was also pretty clear with the stock 205 m/c; the variations in the shells is unreal.. :lol:

Mikey S
As above, mine clears ok with a 406 non-abs unit Phil, but it was also pretty clear with the stock 205 m/c; the variations in the shells is unreal.. :D

mines resting right on it. the noises at full throttle drives you nuts!

Rom

Afraid mine was fine too. Both with the original MC, and with the 406 MC.

Peugeot for ya :D

philfingers

it's on PTS GpN mounts, with the 3rd buffer for lateral movement. It's just at tickover really, the trafficator arms vibrate so much i'm surprised they haven't fallen off with fatigue!

I have the reinforced pedal box plate welded on the inside of the shell to reduce any clearance issues. Maybe someone should make a angled one like the Mi16 ex manifold plates, to move the m/c away a little.

I guess I'll keep looking to see what others have done. will take a look at yours some time stu

Phil

nick

I just pushed mine over on the gearbox mount and then chamfered the cambelt cover. The plastic cover is pretty thick so you can take about 4mm off the corner. Mine never touches.

Nick

philfingers

yes I've done the same, took a die grinder to the belt cover and moved it over on the box mount but it's still touches. I reckon I could grind a fair bit off the m/c too, would need to be careful tho!

welshpug

I moved the servo up on the pedal box by making the 4 holes into slots, hasn't affected the braking feel or pedal travel and it clears nicely.

philfingers

good idea, should have done that while I had it all in bits I suppose.

welshpug

It's not much, but enough so that the engine swings under the M/C when it moves on its mounts, I think I also stuck a single washer under the bottom edge of the m/c as it was an S16.

Edited by welshpug