• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Engine Rotation Direction

wardy18

Just fitting my new head etc and fitting the belt back i have completely forgotten which way the engine actually rotates, i need to know as the arrows on the belt needs to be facing this way, the belt notches and the way they line up is telling me the engine rotates towards the rear of the car, ie if you stood drivers side looking at the cam pulley the engine is rotating anti clockwise?!?!!?!?

such a dumb ass i tell u!!

Veero

I thought it all went clockwise, looking at it from the cambelt end. :D

wardy18

oh ffs, I'm loosin the head with this engine now

With both cam and crank pulley lined up with an allan key in both timing slots the only way the timing marks will line up from belt to pulleys is if the arrows are facing anti clockwise!!!

The timing marks are are closer together of one side of the belt as it simply needs to go from the cam pulley to crank pulley whereas other way it has go from crank pulley to water pump to tensioner then to cam pulley

Rubbish

Cameron

Why don't you just ignore the belt marks and time the engine up using dowels in the timing holes!?

Dan Ingram
Why don't you just ignore the belt marks and time the engine up using dowels in the timing holes!?

What he said. I've never bothered using the marks on the belt. As long as the timing holes line up with dowels and there is no slack on the side with no tensioner then you can't go far wrong. Just make sure you turn the engine over by hand a few times first.

wardy18

Yeh that's exactly what I've done, I just hate cambelts as I've bent valves before and so are extra careful

Cameron

I never trust any timing marks on belts or pulleys / block etc as they could easily be either out or the pulley could even be from a different car! Its far easier and less stressful to just use the dowel holes to time it up and then turn the engine over a couple of times BY HAND first. You shouldn't go bending any valves that way, unless you heave the engine round!